UPS stomps on retirees health

Original post made by Marie, Walnut Grove Elementary School, on May 16, 2014

UPS notified their retirees that our insurance premiums will double next month, quadruple in 2015, and increase 6x what we are paying now the following year. In addition they reduced our benefits to 80% coverage and imposed a $500,000 lifetime cap. Retirees do not have any voting rights or say in what UPS chooses to do. I guess their posted profits are largely due to what they take from employees who dedicated 30+ years of service. Retirees make the decision to retire based on certain facts and unfortunately UPS changed the rules. Shame on UPS.

Posted by plan for your retirement
on May 17, 2014 at 7:12 am

I have no idea what your benefits and pay were while working but perhaps it was something like this:

100% company paid medical benefits for a plan with 100% coverage and no lifetime limits. 100% company paid pension contributions with COLAs throughout your retirement. Salary that was far above the average with excellent work rules.

I say this based on information shared by my close friend who retired from UPS with over 30 years of service. You people all thought that fully paid medical insurance was a lifetime god given benefit and now that every industry is having to face the impossibility of sustaining that, you cry unfair. How much of your above average salary did you save for your own retirement?

Cops and firefighters have had this entitlement mentality since winning the 3% at age 50 rule in the 1980s. It's time for everyone to get a grip and stop expecting "someone else" to pay for their retirement. Lest you claim that I am jealous of your benefits -- I expect to have very generous benefits at retirement, self-funded. I have saved more than 50% of my gross annual salary from the day that I started working to fund my own retirement. Anyone who counts on the promises of management during the good times is dumb enough to retire in relative poverty. You spent too much when you had it, now stop whining about it.

Posted by Formerly Dan from BC
a resident of Bridle Creek
on May 17, 2014 at 7:58 am

Formerly Dan from BC is a registered user.

Marie,

Have you been paying any attention to the effects of the ACA (Obamacare), passed ENTIRELY by the Democrats in Congress?

Welcome to the party!

Dan

Posted by Rand Pol
on May 17, 2014 at 8:07 am

All hail free market capitalism and God bless UPS!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on May 17, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Does UPS refer to United Parcel Service? If so I will never again use their services.

case closed

Posted by Really
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 25, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I thought Obamacare eliminated medical caps, so how can UPS impose a cap on their retirees. Sounds like someone should be investigating them.

Posted by liberalism is a disease
on May 25, 2014 at 8:37 pm

liberalism is a disease is a registered user.

Maybe Nancy pelosi hasn't gotten around to reading that portion of this debacle to know what's in it. She's been busy at several graduation commencements speaking to heads full of mush, telling them the govt is the answer to all their problems (apparently replacing their parents).

Posted by Right
on May 26, 2014 at 8:06 am

No such thing as a free lunch. I've also saved over 50% of my income over my life time of work. If you're making 10 bucks an hour, that's almost 20 grand a year. After taxes that leaves you with maybe 15 grand. Bank 8 grand for retirement. That still leaves you 7 grand a year to purchase or rent a home, maintain a car, feed and clothe the family. Why are these mush head whiners making a big deal about this? Sounds like UPS is just engaging in smart business tactics. So they lied to their mush head employees? Big deal.