Record-High 60% of Californians Say They Pay Too Much Tax

Original post made by jimf01 on Apr 13, 2014

Despite the fact that every statewide elected office is now held by a Democrat, a record number of Californians polled by the Public Policy Institute of California now say they now pay too much in taxes.
Just last year voters approved Prop 30, a regressive tax that hits the working poor hardest, and California voters elected a supermajority of Democrats to the CA Senate and Assembly.
Californians now pay the highest income tax rates, the highest sales tax rates, and the highest gasoline tax rates in the 50 states.

Why are California voters now complaining?

Maybe it is because they are starting to realize what they are getting in 'return' on the 'investments' (the Democrats favorite word for new taxes).
We get a new Bay Bridge that is already rusting. Along with that we have many very poor quality roads all around the state Web Link
Maybe it is because our schools are some of the worst in the country Web Link
Maybe it is because the taxpayers see criminals being released from jails at a record pace Web Link

It would cause one to wonder, if we are failing in three very basic categories: schools, public safety, and roads, what are the people in Sacramento doing with all the money they collect from us?

Web Link

Posted by jimf01, a resident of another community
on Apr 13, 2014 at 9:56 am

jimf01 is a registered user.

Best and worst run states in the union: guess who is #50 of 50? Web Link

Posted by Liberalism is a plague, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:53 am

That's it. Our daughter just got accepted at all the UC's, but we're all moving to Wyoming or N. Dakota because the schools are so much better there, especially rodeo bull riding and ice hockey, than the mediocre slop we have to select from the UC system. I'd much rather be surrounded in my community by U of North Dakota grads than all the liberal boobs from Stanford, Berkeley, Cal Poly, and so on. That's why Wyoming and N. Dakota are such better places to live then California.

Actually, I lied a bit. Our daughter did not get accepted into any of the UC's. They told us it's because the level of competition is too steep, with applicants applying from all over the world. But the truth is that the UC system is allowing anyone of color into there helloed halls.

ps Where does the Constitution say anything about state taxes? Do we live in California or Uzbekistan?

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 13, 2014 at 4:10 pm

I attended UCB as a graduate student! I was so HAPPY when I was accepted. UCB is highly competitive so I had to work my butt off to graduate!

I loved meeting brilliant students from all over planet earth! I was thrilled to meet so many international scholars.

I'm sorry to read that your daughter wasn't accepted. She might consider re-applying.

Posted by Mitch, a resident of another community
on Apr 13, 2014 at 4:27 pm

Maybe your daughter can go to Las Positas? If she works hard, she should be able to transfer into a few different UCs.Of course it will save you money and give her a bit more time in the bubble, but you will have to live with the stigma of being the parent of a kid who didn't go off to college right after high school. The horror.
(Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 13, 2014 at 5:13 pm

I have an excellent accountant that I work with and I have never believed that what I pay is unreasonable.

Many Americans are not as fortunate as I have been. Don't forget some Americans have come to the USA as immigrants. The USA is indeed the land of opportunity.

VIVA AMERICA! VIVA! GORA!

Posted by Right, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 13, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Not only are we having too much of our earnings confiscated in taxes, but the waste of tax dollars is what most people would consider to be a crime (unless you're 'shrimp boy or Leland yee). Speaking of which, a majority of those accepted to the state U. C. System are of Asian descent. (Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)
Or, maybe he's not smart enough to figure out that Stanford is a private college, not a state sponsored, union bastion. Guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.......

Posted by Liberalism is a plague, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 13, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I resent being called a troll. The only possible criteria would be since 'Right' has a monopoly on all messages like his own, then whenever he sees messages like his own written by someone other than himself he leaps to the conclusion that they must be a troll. C'mon, Right, more than one person can be stupid on these posts.

Now as for Stanford, yes, the reason it is located in California instead of N, Dakota, Wyoming, or some of state of educational repute is because its union teachers demand it stay put, (Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)
As far as students being of Asian descent, does this mean they are from countries like Japan and China, or that they have Japanese or Chinese or some other Asian ancestors, or that one of their parents had a parent from Asia? (Comment partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Timmy the tiger, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:40 am

Only a troll would "resent being called a troll"

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:37 am

I appreciate that Asian students are attending major American universities in ever increasing numbers! HOORAY! VIVA ASIAN STUDENTS! VIVA!

Why would anybody be jealous that some students work hard so that they can study at their choice university? hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

answer: JEALOUS BUGS!

tee hee hee...

Posted by Forum Editor, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Apr 14, 2014 at 8:54 am

Yes, I do indeed believe I should be censored for having a lack of sense of humor. Of course, if you had to read/censor all the posts on the Town Forum, or worse, the bumpkin blog sites, you'd be pretty humorless too.

(Comment partially removed by discerning reader.)

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Apr 14, 2014 at 12:28 pm

In my private opinion I strongly believe that Beavis 'n Butthead need to be asked to be fair and polite to other provocative posters.

i rest my case...

Cholo Pololo Mololo

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Understanding Early Decision in College Admissions
By Elizabeth LaScala | 1 comment | 1,908 views

New heights for NIMBYs

When those covering the news become the news
By Gina Channell-Allen | 1 comment | 903 views