State measure could allow 4-year degrees at community colleges

Original post made on Mar 5, 2014

About 300 college students from San Jose boarded buses Monday and traveled to Sacramento to urge lawmakers to favor a bill allowing community colleges to offer four-year degrees, a spokesman said.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, March 4, 2014, 7:09 AM

Posted by Citizen, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 5, 2014 at 11:10 am

Yup. These days it takes some students four years to get an Associate Degree!

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 5, 2014 at 1:26 pm

If this bill allows to receive advanced education GO FOR IT! Education can open doors for students.

VIVA AMERICA! VIVA!

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:29 pm

With budget cuts having reduced the number and frequency of course offerings to the point that the 2-year degree takes 3 or more years to obtain, I wonder what magic this proposal will employ.

Mike

Posted by Taxpayer, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Wouldn't it be nice if our kids could get all the courses needed to move up and out of the house? Where and to whom are our tax dollars going? I would really like them to go to my kids classes ! ! ! I have one who says it will be 4 years at JC, before transferring. Don't we taxpayers matter any more.
Is there any point in decades of work, if it's the offspring of those who didn't bother who get all the 'considerations'.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 5, 2014 at 7:00 pm

PERHAPS A SUGGEST TO LIFETIME STUDENTS TO GET A JOB WOULD HELP?

Posted by Virgil, a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Mar 6, 2014 at 8:17 am

Great' now illegals can more free education.

Posted by Republicrat, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 6, 2014 at 9:58 am

In theory, the comm-coll system should be incorporated with the CSU system. That being said, our bureaucrats in SAC would do a fine job screwing it an already underperforming system that produces a never ending stream of unemployable graduates....Not all, but most. Yes I can site case after case of employees I have hired from chico SSU etc that are not fit for the real world. Thoughts?

Posted by CSU Alum, a resident of California Reflections
on Mar 6, 2014 at 10:58 am

Dear Republicrat,

Does not knowing the difference between 'site' and 'cite' qualify as being "fit for the real world?"

And would you hire someone who wrote your second sentence?

Pity the poor CSU Chico grads who work at places with incompetent bosses.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 6, 2014 at 3:12 pm

The JC system saved me a bundle on lower division courses before transferring to a 4-year school to finish my BA in the early 80s. Indeed, the savings made it possible for me to continue on for my MA. Now, any money you save at the JC is offset by having to wait for classes until you are past retirement age.

Ironically, I guess, getting the break that allowed me to get an MA way back then put me in a position to be able to afford tuition for my kids when they got to college.

Increasing tuition and decreasing availability of classes are rendering JCs irrelevant.

Mike

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Perhaps if a JC can award an AA in some fields then hopefully a curriculum can be structured so that a BA can be completed within a 4 yr. period.

Thus far all I've heard is that somebody is considering a 4 yr. degree program and that such a program might be completed on a JC campus. I believe that it is quite possible to complete a BA program on a JC campus. Perhaps other state university or universities can provide coursework for yrs. 3 & 4. It already happens on some Junior College campuses.

Good Luck working out how it will be structured.

Posted by Awfulfarder, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 7, 2014 at 10:02 am

This is a really bad idea. These BAs/BSs will be commoditized crap.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Preserving Disorder
By Tom Cushing | 73 comments | 2,083 views

The drought drives lawmakers to action

Jim Kohnen Post Office Signed into Law

CPRA: Balancing privacy, public's right to know
By Gina Channell-Allen | 3 comments | 240 views