Severe Turbulence and your Seatbelt is off?

Original post made by fasten your seatbelt, moron on Feb 18, 2014

Winter flying and turbulence, not such a big surprise. Why is it that so many people think they need to be up when the seatbelt sign is on or sit in their seats with the seatbelt unfastened? Idiots. Same thing with parents too cheap to buy a seat for their lap kids. Lap kids are nothing but projectiles in turbulence. Get a brain parents, buy a seat and put your kid in a car seat.
I was recently a passenger on a somewhat turbulent flight where the passengers insisted on not only using the bathrooms but opening overhead bins and standing around the cabin. I promise that if you fall on me in turbulence I will sue you for damages.
People who get injured while out of their seats or in their seats with seatbelts off deserve it. Oh, the pilots do not have "turbulence radars" either. Just saying.

Posted by Nervous Nellie, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:33 am

Flying back from Prague a few weeks ago the turbulence got so bad the flight attendants had to buckle themselves in. Where turbulence is most violently felt is in the first, unanticipated moment when it hits. So much for the exotic nature of being a flight attendant. And kudos to scientists who are warning that global warming (climate change) is bringing about increased incidences and increased severity of turbulence in cross-Atlantic flights.

Web Link

Posted by Frequent flier, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 19, 2014 at 2:34 pm

I just talked with a friend who flies much more than I do and he reminded me of the woman who was killed on a flight from Japan (?) a few years ago. The seatbelt sign was on, things were flying around the plane and she got up to remove something from an overhead bin. She flew into the ceiling, broke her neck and died. Another passenger happened to film it all, including the lighted seatbelt sign. So when her family tried to sue the airline the case was thrown out.
It's way beyond time for the FAA to require seats for everyone. Lap children are probably going to have to die before it actually happens.

Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Feb 19, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Statistically speaking, injuries due to turbulence are probably very rare. While I don't consider myself a "frequent flyer" I have spent a lot of hours in the air over my lifetime, both on business and on vacation. Offhand, I can't recall a single instance when I really needed a seatbelt to keep myself from being thrown around the cabin. Rough turbulence? Yes. Did I brace myself? Yes. But I would have come out just as fine if I didn't have a seatbelt on.

Not saying that airline seat belts are not needed. I don't think that I've ever been in a car crash in which I really needed my car seat belt to hold me but I still buckle up when I get into a car anyway. Just saying that in my experience these cases of very severe turbulence - with large airliners, at least - seem to be rather rare.

Posted by frequent flier, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 19, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Sam, you are one of the idiots who will injure yourself and people around you because you are so much smarter that everyone else. "Offhand, I can't recall a single instance when I really needed a seatbelt to keep myself from being thrown around the cabin. Rough turbulence? Yes. Did I brace myself? Yes. But I would have come out just as fine if I didn't have a seatbelt on."
Turbulence is the number one cause of injuries on planes every year. Yes, it is much safer to fly than drive. However, if you are going to be injured, it is not in a crash it is in turbulence. Wait until the day that you experience severe turbulence. Sure you think you can brace yourself. That should be fun to watch on the videos as you pry your bloodied head out of the overhead panel. Just don't plan to sue the airline because if you defy the seatbelt sign you take your life into your own hands.

Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Feb 19, 2014 at 8:17 pm

@frequent flyer
I didn't say I don't buckle up when I'm in the air. See that part of my post where I said "Not saying that airline seat belts are not needed"?

Posted by Connie Tusion, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:42 am

Thank you for your post. I've been banging my head over this issue for quite some time.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Feb 23, 2014 at 12:47 pm

I suggest that during turbulence you lean way over and kiss your ass goodby.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.