what Happened to All The Squirrels?

Original post made by Paulette, Val Vista, on Jan 16, 2014

I've noticed lately that I haven't seen any ground squirrels or tree squirrels. I don't even see any squirrel nests in the trees either. I'm wondering if the city poisoned them or what? I also don't see as many raptors, crows, Jays,pigeons, etc. Maybe we just got rid of so much habitat that they all died or left. When I first moved here, we use to see possums in our yard and quail and all kinds of wildlife. Now, it's a rare occasion to see a raccoon even. But, not seeing squirrels really is quite odd. I would've never dreamed that squirrels would disappear from our neighborhood. Huh! I know it's winter; but, alot of these critters live here year round. Where else is a squirrel going to go? Maybe the Clampetts moved in and granny is cooking up some squirrel stew. Just wondering...I miss the little fellas...

Posted by Right
on Jan 16, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Aside from cholos taste for rodents and road kill, you can find your answer with the common house cat that preys on all the critters you cited. Cats are left to roam all over and feral cats must hunt for food, versus the spoiled fur balls that kill for sport.
Eliminate the cats and it may give the few remaining quail, possums and squirrels a fighting chance.

Posted by Fred
a resident of Parkside
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:33 pm

I too have missed seeing the critters. Especially the raptors. I did see a pterdactile fly over the house the other day, and I've got a cousin who said he saw a few tyrannasaures when he flew over the North Pole after his visit with the King of France.

Posted by Kangaroo
a resident of another community
on Jan 17, 2014 at 6:25 am

Fukushima

Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:00 am

We seem to have thus usual numbers of squirrels about my house here in west Pleasanton. Haven't noticed any change. Plenty of hummingbirds, too. Thought that they were supposed to migrate south for the winter but they've been visiting out feeder daily all winter.

Posted by Stella
on Jan 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm

come downtown-we have them all-including raccoons and possums. I see them and smell skunks 24/7 pretty much. you must be living in the wrong part of P-town.

Posted by Jack
on Jan 17, 2014 at 7:24 pm

Jack is a registered user.

I'm with Stella, come to my neighborhood, we have squirrels by the dozens!

Posted by no more cats
on Jan 17, 2014 at 9:34 pm

I agree that cats that are allowed to roam are the problem. Personally, I plan to trap and destroy any cats that are in my yard. If you have a cat keep it inside or say goodbye to it. Your cats have no business killing animals in my yard, digging in my plants and leaving their muddy prints all over my vehicles. Grow up and be responsible.

Posted by kbenson
a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Jan 17, 2014 at 10:17 pm

I noticed a very unusual formation of seagulls? today, over the park near the main PO. The formation reminded me of a tornado or cyclone. They flew from the area near Alisal school, over santa rita and then over the park. Must have been 75 or more birds.

Posted by MrsJjhh
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jan 18, 2014 at 10:50 am

So there are squirrels in other parts of Pleasanton?

I was sure that the Squirrel Signalling System had summoned the lot of them to destroy all remaining vegetation in MY garden!

Posted by Not sure
on Jan 18, 2014 at 4:47 pm

I am not sure about the squirrels but I did notice a porcupine on Hopyard last Thursday. Also, if you capybara owners let them roam the neighborhood I will be trapping them so please be responsible.

Posted by True Conservative
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:29 pm

The squirrel shortage is on account of water shortage and global warming. LOL. What next is Moonbeam going to tell us?