Town Square

Post a New Topic

Cody Hall deemed 'potential threat to human life,' remains held without bail

Original post made on Nov 14, 2013

The young driver who ran down and killed a bicyclist on Foothill Road will remain in jail without bond after a judge ruled Thursday that the teen posed "a potential threat to human life."

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, November 14, 2013, 12:41 PM

Comments (81)

Posted by Suzy, a resident of Amador Estates
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Thank you Judge Blea for keeping our community a little safer!


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 14, 2013 at 4:28 pm

140 mph on the freeway. 100 mph on Las Positas. Clocked at 70 mph on Foothill Road. Two previously totalled cars. How many chances did he have to straighten himself out? I guess he said it himself with his social media post: "I can't control myself." Need to make sure that he never again drives on the streets of Pleasanton.


Posted by local, a resident of Birdland
on Nov 14, 2013 at 5:14 pm

"In addition, Carney noted that the investigation had turned up two vehicles that were totaled but were not reported to police." Where were the parents in all of this. The kid wrecks at least three cars and they just give him a new one each time? I think there will be a huge civil case, going after the family, on this one. The parents should probably be charged with aiding and abetting.


Posted by KIm, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

It starts off by saying he ran down and killed a bicyclist. Does that mean he knew who she was and ran her down on purpose? Other reports say that he lost control and ran her over. We also need to do something about the sharp curve in the road. Two weeks after this crash a 16 year old girl crashed on the same turn 200 feet away from cody.
She wrapped it around a tree and was arrested for DUI.


Posted by Barabbas, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Kim,

With today's modern killing techniques, it is now possible to run down and kill a bicyclist even if you don't know their identity. Also, your claim that the curve in the road caused the girl to be driving under the influence is insightful and thought-provoking. The city of Pleasanton must do something about that curve soon before it influences other drivers to drink or do drugs and then drive.


Posted by b, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:15 pm

KIm -

There's no requirement that one party know the other in order to be classified as murder. Murder doesn't even have to be explicitly intentional ("I'm going to pick up this gun and shoot someone"), just that the outcome of the malicious act could be foreseen ("If I drive this car at 70 MPH on a windy road, I could kill someone, but I'll still do it.")

I don't understand your comment about "doing something" about the sharp curve. The road has a low speed limit and warning signs for good reason. Even if you straighten all the roads and line them with bubble wrap, people will still use poor judgment.


Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:18 pm

Sadly, a good woman was killed. The court will determine who is guilty.

May the victime Rest In Peace.


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:53 pm

(Posting edited by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff to remove inappropriate comments.)

No matter what the judge decides, the Halls are a family that . . . will be held in the greatest contempt forever...to Hell with the Halls!

Somebody should mention that the courtroom isn't a banquet hall; and that he might want to tell his peanuts to stay in the cupboard next time. . . . .

Hall won't be welcome anywhere should he live to see freedom again. As an alleged grim faced taker of life, he should stay in jail until he rots. . . .

. . .

May his suffering be continuous and his days be filled with despair and ruin. You surely are finished in this world!


Posted by KIm, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:55 pm

I am very sensitive to this issue as I am a weekend cyclist and have to deal with dangerous drivers. However,doesn 't a charge of murder carry with it premeditation? If a driver(no matter how reckless) loses control of his/her vehicle,it still is not premeditated. There was a similar case and the judge was prohibited from charging the driver with murder for this very reason. I think that this driver should go to jail for a long time for what he did,but I would like to know more about the laws in California regarding this very important distinction between manslaughter and murder. And How did are fellow angry cyclist that ran down and killed a pedestrian in SF get off? b- They have fixed every curve from castlewood to stonridge that someone has died on. If it has a low speed limit how is it possible to 83 around it? Barabbas- Thought-provoking if it's your kid. We need to do better with the 1,000 kids that do and say the same thing as Cody. So convict and set an example for the future.


Posted by L, a resident of another community
on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Kim -

There are different degrees of murder. To prove 1st degree murder, you must prove that there was premeditation. In California, any other type of murder can be classified as 2nd degree. If you can prove that you killed in the heat of passion, in self defense, in defense of someone else, or because of reasons of insanity, then the charge can be lessened to manslaughter.

Web Link


Posted by Still Laughing, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Big Al wins this week's best post. Thank you!


Posted by Kim, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 14, 2013 at 11:19 pm

That's great I agree SL. The biggest little man in pleasanton (Big Al) Thank You "L" It wont be long before his friends join him for the beating of our brave resident. Lets stop pretending this is a perfect town. Oh and maybe close some roads every now and then just for bikes.


Posted by Justin, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:14 am

This story is getting international attention Web Link
and in response to "local" I believe Pleasanton Weekly reported earlier, his father is in jail.


Posted by D, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:42 am

Way to go Judge Blea! Thank you for not caving in and making a statement by saying 'no bail'....so sorry for the families involved....still praying for them.


Posted by Keri, a resident of Birdland
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:43 am

Kim, In the article it mentioned that he crossed double lines into oncoming traffic in order to pass two cars in front of him, at 70 MPH. For this reason, it's considered manslaughter. He didn't INTEND to kill the cyclist and it wasn't premeditated, but his actions were reckless and were a direct cause to this poor woman's death. Therefore, manslaughter.


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 15, 2013 at 9:32 am

@Keri

Actually, the charge is 2nd degree murder, not manslaughter. It's more than manslaughter because there is a long history of speeding and accidents behind him, and he knew that his actions could very well lead to someone's death but did it anyway. When someone repeatedly performs a death-defying action with total disregard for the safety and lives of others, and then finally and inevitably kills someone that's not manslaughter. That's 2nd degree murder charge is appropriate.


Posted by mooseturd, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Nov 15, 2013 at 9:46 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

Thank you Big Al.


Posted by Claudette, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:03 am

This post has gotten out of control….


Posted by Olfthfl, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:01 am

Thank God for Judge Blea!


Posted by Still Laughing (but now not so much), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

Dear Claudette,
I believe the editors have gotten out of control.

Dear Editor/Censor of Big Al's post:
You, Sir/Madam, are a prude.


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 15, 2013 at 12:34 pm

At least they left some of my post up! I'm probably the most censored man ever on P.W.

I am Big by the way, since you mentioned it and not fat or skinny as some might assume. No, I'm quite aggressive in reality and can be rather vicious if pressed but I speak the Truth and I'm fed up with a lot of what I see occurring around me.

Speaking of which, I think that the judge will also be considering the "deathrides" that he allegedly spoke of going on prior to the mowing over of people with his car. Sort of a self fulfilled prophesy and a foolish thought to have in the first place! Also shows some premeditation along with the other alleged mountain of evidence that also shows a clear pattern of disregard and malice. There was also allegedly some mention of him drinking and continuing to operate a motor vehicle after the alleged murder by car incident. Almost as if nothing had happened?

This is a very serious matter and god help me here but the judge appears to be making the right moves. I personally know his lawyer Timothy Rein, having been a past client, and it is my opinion that he and Cody Hall will get blown out of the water on this one!

P.S. Hell for Halls! Eternal Flames and Woes!


Posted by Still Laughing (but perhaps now with some embarrassment), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 15, 2013 at 2:09 pm

You see, Big Al, I had assumed you were injecting levity into a string of charges and directives all directed at bashing Hall (who is unable to defend himself against such "community" piling on). I interpreted your piece as a sarcastic comment on our fellow "villagers" who are currently camped outside of the court house with pitchforks and nooses. So, what I'm saying is that I found your comments absolutely hilarious. But, in all seriousness, after they do find this wretched human being guilty of murder, and lead him off to prison for a life sentence, they should then, like you say, strip him of his CA driver's license. That'll REALLY show him the state means business.


Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 15, 2013 at 3:03 pm

He is not guilty until he has been proven guilty in a court of law.

It seems that most folks simply don't appreciate the American judicial system.

All you have to do is live in certain countries to understand and TOTALLY APPRECIATE the American judicial system. It's not a perfect system but it's the best that I've ever lived under!

VIVA AMERICA! VIVA!


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 15, 2013 at 3:55 pm

I'm glad that you are amused however this case is far from a comedy.

Do you think that the real victim, Diana had a fair chance to defend herself? No she didn't! Everything was taken away from her and her family in the blink of an eye! I could care less whether the alleged culprit has a format to defend himself or not. Let his heartless cohorts attempt to defend him here. An exercise in futility.

The "villagers" that you speak of are sick of this kind of tragedy and they will not hold their tongues. You might think it's funny to use ones vehicle like a human meat grinder but I disagree.

And anyone that defends the Halls or our justice system is a fool in my opinion. His guilt is a mere formality and it's just a matter of time in my opinion. Even if you get a verdict, there's no justice here to be had. The only true justice now would be to have his head on a plate. In some countries you could get it, but we protect the criminals here in the U.S.A.. It should be an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth just like in the bible!


Posted by D. CLINE, a resident of Castlewood
on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:06 pm

kim you are so wrong on so many levels. bet you dont follow the rules yourself. WHEN YOUR ON YOUR BIKE, DO YOU STOP AT STOP SIGNS ? be honest now kim. when aproaching a 4 way intersection, come to complete stop, wait for the bicyclist to get to their stop sign and proceed forward.
the man who confronted those people who were parked on a public street talking and laughing. he had a problem with their volume. no arrests yet. bet there are 4 witnesses who are going to say he approached them in a aggresive manner, aggitated, and possably physically confrontational. a beating ? not sure if i agree. no mention of multiple injuries, weapons, or confinement.if he didn't like the volume he should have called P.P.D. volume problem over in 10 min. max. probably more like 5 min. hope he pulls through. liberal wake up.


Posted by Still Laughing, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Hey Big Al, that's more like it! Thanks so much for yet another belly laugh! Please keep 'em coming!


Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm

Vigilante justice has no place in the United States of America!

VIVA AMERICA! VIVA!

i rest my case...


Posted by Jeff, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Nov 15, 2013 at 5:53 pm

After the incident, but before he was jailed, some jack**s in a silver Neon whipped past me on Santa Rita going at least 50 if not higher in a 35 zone. I'll bet it was this idiot. What a freaking moron, and what a parental failure. Both parents should face consequences as well for raising this twerp. Then again, daddy is a convicted felon and therefore a fine role model.


Posted by Kim, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 15, 2013 at 6:45 pm

D.Cline- It all depends on the situation but more times than not I will not stop, and never really come to a stop. Why? Because I can without getting a ticket. Of course the kids will say that about the father,wouldn't you in defense? They should have said sorry sir and left. That simple really. More bad parenting and lack of respect.


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Cody Hall has no place in the United States of America!

Viva Lex non scripta Viva!

You have no case to rest you old tree frog! Tee Hee!!!

Remove thyself from the cheeks of the Penal System.


Posted by Edna, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 16, 2013 at 7:06 am

Thank you, Cholo.


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

Although I think that Cody Hall, as an 18 year old at the time, has to be held responsible for his own actions, I have to wonder about where his parents were in all this. How much did they know about his speeding activities and how much did they look the other way? I find it hard to believe that they were totally unaware of his speeding and two totaled cars as well as the 70 mph speeding ticket that he got on Foothill Road in November 2011 or the collision in front of Foothill High in August of 2011. Cody Hall turned 19 in jail recently, so he was barely 17 when he got that 70 mph (30 mph over the limit) ticket, and only 16 when he got into a collision in front of Foothill High, so I don't see how his parents could be unaware that he had serious problems with his driving. Their role in all of this may hold the answer as to why Cody Hall became the person he is. I don't think that it's any coincidence that his father has serious legal problems of his own, and he was probably a very poor role model for Cody Hall.


Posted by wow, a resident of Amador Estates
on Nov 16, 2013 at 12:34 pm

and there is still another child/young adult in this family. heartbreakig all around but have any of you haters thought about that other human being and all this is doing to him hanging the entire family. Cody was wrong. enough already !!! shame on you


Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm

"him hanging the entire family. Cody was wrong. "

I think you mean Cody and the father. Very sad story. Hope they are both removed from society until they are no longer a danger to their own family and the rest of us.


Posted by Still laughing (at Big Al) but trying now to be serious, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Dear Sam, y

You've mentioned several times that you're a chemist -- having earned a Ph.D. at an Ivy League school, if I'm correct.

I'm curious what you have to say about a sizable body of research which has found that an 18 year-old's brain is not even close to having reached maturity. Brain scientists, that is, are claiming that our brains don't reach full maturity until we're in our late 20s. In the course of these studies, scientists lament how much responsibility we give teenagers who, in brain science terms, are nowhere near possessing the mental maturity level to operate complex machinery, go cliff diving, whatever. Of course insurance companies 'have known' this for quite some time, as young people's coverage is far more expensive than older adults. Why? Because young people -- pre late 20s -- tend to make really dumb choices when they are in an automobile -- speeding, doing donuts, racing, etc. (you know, behaviors that I engaged in when I was younger and perhaps you did too).

Compounding matters is a kid's parents. What if they are bad parents? What if they have neglected to attend to the kid's maturation? Well, this, compounded with the 'natural' immaturity of eighteen year-olds, may be of some relevance, no?

And then there's the question of where the community has been. One cannot tell me that this kid's 'maturity' problems were not detected by relatives, neighbors, friends' parents, teachers, law enforcement personnel, and who knows who else? So, what kind of safety net or back-up did this kid have? Did no one care? I see him as a ticking time bomb; and no one around him took the effort to defuse it. This kid, as I see it, was failed by everyone around him.

And now the community wants to charge this kid with murder....

Now I realize what I'm saying is heretical vis-à-vis what our law states -- 18 years = adulthood -- and what our simplistic ideology states -- every person must be responsible for themselves. But here I think the law has fallen well behind what we know from scientific research; and the ideology itself, beyond its obvious simplicity, is, well, a bit simple-minded.

I don't know Cody Hall. What he allegedly did is truly awful for all those involved. But I see this as raising concerns that go well beyond parenting and individual responsibility. Cody Hall, from what I can gather, has been and continues to be a rather starkly visible indicator of our own collective-institutional failings as a society. Our law has been surpassed by science; our ideology is woefully inadequate as a way of understanding the complexity of human beings as they function within a social environment; and health workers in various capacities (e.g. counselors) are overburdened with workloads on account of being terribly understaffed). Simply pointing a finger at a 'bad kid', or then saying, 'hey, his daddy's bad too', doesn't really do justice to the multiple complexities of the case. Do you not agree?


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 16, 2013 at 4:05 pm

In all seriousness, I think that you are right on some points, namely that we have a societal problem among many of our youth and adults and their dismissive, soulless behaviors are a direct result. When the young brain is bombarded with so much violence and chaos what do you expect to happen? There will be some people that overload and just like a computer, they can crash hard. Some choose a firearm, some wield a car as a weapon. The people that make the violent video games and violent movies and television don't care if some people die along the way. So long as there's money to be had. They know how programmable the young mind is and where the money is at. It's a world where butchery is fine but sex is still taboo? You can view hundreds of murderous scenes daily but god forbid if some poor women slips a nipple out on CBS!

In the eyes of the law, a vehicle can now be considered a weapon and as such, it can be used with premeditation and mailice like any other weapon. He may have felt untouchable and wanted to flaunt it. He allegedly admitted to being out of control and other high speed exploits as well.

Still, not all youth are affected to such a degree, thankfully!

Someone should've noticed a problem brewing here, whether it be a relative, school counselor, doctor, teacher, etc.

But in the end, we don't want to overthink things and make any excuses. He made his own choice, whether he was in a trance or completely aware. He and only he will be held accountable in view of the authorities.

Good luck with that...NOT!!!


Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

"Still Laughing...",

I don't see how you could possibly prohibit people from "operating complex machinery", until their late twenties. How could medical students (typically in their early to mid twenties) possibly train, and begin practice?. Chemical, mechanical, and aerospace engineers typically begin their careers in their early twenties, and many handle dangerous materials and chemicals in the course of the undergraduate study. How about nurses dispensing drugs or assisting in medical procedures? How could the military do its job if no soldier is allowed to use any kind of weapon system until his late twenties? Do you really think that if our brains "don't reach full maturity until we're in our late 20s", we have to somehow delay all of this? How could that possibly work? That can't be what you mean.

I thoroughly disagree that the Cody Hall case "continues to be a rather starkly visible indicator of our own collective-institutional failings as a society." People like Cody Hall are quite rare in our society, statistically speaking. He is an anomaly. It is quite rare for someone to have had that kind of driving record in such a short time, and to have such blatant disregard for human life.

You speak of "speeding, doing donuts, racing, etc.". Sure, I knew kids who sped, raced, and did donuts, but none of them anywhere near as recklessly as this kid. I knew of no one who got the kind of tickets and caused accidents like Cody Hall did even before running down these two cyclists. Did you? Society is more aware today than ever of the dangers of reckless and drunken driving. The problem is with Cody Hall, not society. His has proven himself to be a danger to society. Prudent people realize that we need to keep him where he can't do any further harm to the rest of us.


Posted by Still Laughing (because some posters are really funny), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 16, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Some people are simply irredeemably tied to the idea of 'What Is'. So it is with John. Rather than imagine the possibility of a more competent work force that effectively delays giving young people jobs they are mentally (brain science) unprepared for (think about hospital fiascos that occur time and again) John just wants to continue carrying water for those who fix themselves to What Is despite good science that suggests change may be desirable and beneficial.

Science says global warming. Yeah, says John, but how are companies going to make profits if they can't pollute our environment?

Science says our toys are laden with toxic chemicals. Yeah, says John, but what about toy producer and distributer (Walmart) profits?

When abolitionists sought to have eradicated slavery based upon humanistic philosophy, there was John crying about the burden an abolition of slavery would place on cotton plantation owners.

When labor activists were campaigning for an end to child labor laws that allowed for 12 year-olds to work the mines (and die in their 30s), there was old John complaining about how keeping kids out of the workplace would cut into mining company profits.

I was referring specifically to the case involving Cody Hall, John, and addressed my comments to Sam from Oak Hill. However, I see where your short-sighted comments might offer some pedagogical value for other readers whose brains may well be more flexible than your own.


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 16, 2013 at 10:33 pm

"Still Laughing" wrote: "I'm curious what you have to say about a sizable body of research which has found that an 18 year-old's brain is not even close to having reached maturity."

I'm not familiar with that research but I agree with what John wrote about Cody Hall being an "anomaly" or a special case. Several apologists for Cody Hall on these forums were trying to claim that he is no different from any other 18 year old in occasionally exercising poor judgment, but I think that's a ridiculous stand to take. Cody Hall is unique. Yes, 18 year olds may sometimes show poor judgment, but the risk-taking behavior of Cody Hall went way, way beyond typical 18 year old behavior. His behavior was extreme. In fact, he probably delighted in cultivating an image of himself as a "bad-boy" and a "rebel" by boasting about his exploits on social media sites and crowing about how much his law-breaking acts surpassed those of his peers.

The hypothesis that Cody Hall is merely going through a temporary "poor judgment stage" in his life no different from any other 18 year old, and that he will exercise normal mature adult judgment in a few years is furthermore undermined by looking at his father, a convicted felon long beyond his teenage years (in his late 30's or 40's?) who apparently continues to exercise extremely poor judgment in his own life. That's who I see Cody Hall becoming in ten or twenty years. The bottom line is that not all stupid behavior by 18 year olds can be dismissed as simply being "normal stupid 18 year old stuff". Some 18 year olds will never grow up and develop good judgment no matter how old they are. I think that Cody Hall is one of those people. Hopefully I'm wrong.

(P.S. BTW, my background is physics, not chemistry.)


Posted by Still Laughing (but now in serious dialogue with Sam), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 17, 2013 at 6:33 am

Like I say, Sam, the research is extensive. I've pasted a link, admittedly 'simple' in that it's merely an NPR discussion. Still, as one of the interviewed neuroscientists states, the findings on brain development are extensive.

Web Link

In the linked piece, not only is brain development/maturation discussed in terms of average years to maturity (25), but also of interest is that young people, males more than females, tend to exercise poor judgment about matters of risk, risk to others, and the like. Moreover, one of the researchers points out that kids with troubled backgrounds (we're agreed Cody is from a dysfunctional household) are even more likely to make impaired judgments on account of an (an even greater) ill-formed maturation of the brain.

I think the neuroscientist's claims may be consistent with what I was getting at earlier. Is Cody Hall just a bad kid; or is he perhaps an exemplar of an ill-formed brain that did not provide him with convincing warning signals?

It is worth noting, I think, that the charges against Cody Hall do not involve premeditated murder. He did not plot out a way of taking a person's life. No, he drove his car, apparently frequently, in a reckless manner. His previous car crashes did not entail injury. And so it is conceivable to me that he really truly did not fully grasp the gravity of his recklessness as it might have pertained to others. What he allegedly did that tragic day wasn't murderous; it was really, really stupid. It is increasingly apparent to me that his stupidity was a product of an insufficiently maturated brain, exacerbated by his troubled (traumatic?) home life.

Yes, if the brain research is valid then this prompts the question: Why don't all 18 year-old kids act like Cody Hall? Well, most don't, of course. But most don't come from such a troubled (traumatized?) home as has Cody. But even with that said, I can say with no great pride that I made similarly bad decisions when I was Cody's age. And so did most of my male friends. On a given day, the kind of tragedy brought about by Cody Hall might have been brought about by myself and many of my friends, some who not only escaped prison but went on to earn advanced degrees in education as did I. (I recall my first day on a Harley, at the age of 17, when I almost took out half of Cleveland.)

Given the neuroscientific research, and what little we know of Cody, it becomes increasingly apparent to me that Cody was not entirely in control of himself that tragic day. He was/is the product of an underdeveloped brain, bad parenting in a chaotic household, and a society that saw many signs of his dysfunctional behavior but opted to ignore it.

I'd hope you agree, Sam, that Cody Hall's responsibility for what happened that tragic day is not solely his. For we assign responsibility to individuals who have matured into adulthood, who are capable of distinguishing right from wrong, and who are capable of recognizing how their careless or reckless behavior can seriously lead to the harm of others. I'm not convinced Cody Hall had any of these attributes. This lack, I think, should compel us to appreciate the numerous mitigating factors that were present when Cody Hall acted as recklessly as he did.


Posted by resident, a resident of Downtown
on Nov 17, 2013 at 8:52 am

Fine, you want me to take responsibility for Cody Hall's behavior I will. I will lock him up for life so that he cannot murder again.
How truly stupid for anyone to blame "society" for the actions of one sociopath who just happened to be suffering from lack of completed brain function and poor parenting at home. Really. SL seems to think that poor little Cody bears no responsibility for his actions, the fault lies with all of us who are fully grown adults. Oh please. This would imply that murder and mayhem would reign every day from all of those little undeveloped brains out there with too much time on their hands.
Cody is indeed an anomaly, thankfully. And he is exactly where he belongs. Stop making excuses for his behavior.


Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:58 am

He's not guilty until proven so in a court of law.

When he is convicted, he will have to face the BUBBA.

He's not guilty yet so grow up punks.

signed,

Cholo Pololo Mololo


Posted by Still Laughing (which is very difficult given some of my neighbors), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 17, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Yes, I think society does bear a portion of the blame. But not you, Resident. You're not to blame. For anything. So, yes, please continue to sit in the confines of your home denying that the world is a changing place. Don't bother reading the science. Don't bother searching for nuanced meaning. Just stew in your misery and lash out at others.

From what we know, Cody Hall does not fit the profile of a psychopath. We've gotten no word about him torturing animals, or terrorizing his neighbors, bullying his classmates or, indeed, getting into serious physical confrontations with anyone. All we have is alleged evidence about his reckless driving. He apparently was crashing one car after another, speeding a lot, and bragging about it, a lot. Was he out to kill anyone other than perhaps himself? I doubt it very seriously. His crime, from what I can gather from the limited facts that have been presented, is that of driving recklessly, in a seriously diminished capacity, without any (mature) understanding that his driving might hurt someone other than PERHAPS himself. I say PERHAPS because it's conceivable that, after so many crashes and legal scrapes, he developed some sort delusion consisting of an invincibility with respect to harming himself as well as those around him.

How is it that society did not intervene while all this was going on? Clearly the parents were 'checked out'. We have teachers and counselors whose job it is to report suspicions of illegal or self-destructive behavior. And where were the police when filing accident reports and driving infractions? This kid was clearly -- quite visibly -- out of control; society failed to intervene.

I am not a lawyer, and I do not know the legal classifications. But I would be very surprised if this kid is either charged or convicted of 2nd degree murder, or even manslaughter. His crime was reckless driving. There was no premeditation. There probably was no 'thought' at all. His reckless driving -- which was preventable, and should have been prevented by alert institutional players -- resulted in a terrible tragedy. I've seen no evidence that would suggest any other conclusion. Only mob-like calls for his punishment.


Posted by resident, a resident of Downtown
on Nov 17, 2013 at 4:35 pm

@SL, for a person who spouts about reading the science, you seem to be unable to grasp many of the facts regarding the Cody Hall case.

1. Who referred to him as a psychopath? A sociopath for sure, a psychopath not so likely.

2. While I do wonder about the police letting him off for his previous excessive speed on Foothill, how exactly should they have handled the reports for the other documented crashes that daddy never reported at all?

3. "I would be very surprised if this kid is either charged or convicted of 2nd degree murder, or even manslaughter". Have you read anything about this case at all? He has ALREADY been charged with murder. Only first degree murder requires premeditation, 2nd degree fits him perfectly. He constantly operated his vehicles with complete disregard for the lives or safety of any other humans.

The judge is absolutely correct that allowing this sociopath to run free would put the lives of all humans at an unacceptable risk. Fully functioning brain or not.


Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:07 pm

"Only mob-like calls for his punishment. "

I'm not concerned with his "punishment". I'm more concerned with keeping him from harming anyone else.


Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:10 pm

" I can say with no great pride that I made similarly bad decisions when I was Cody's age"

Perhaps you weren't paying attention to the extent of Cody's recklessness? You really had friends that behaved that way?


Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 17, 2013 at 7:24 pm

"Rather than imagine the possibility of a more competent work force that effectively delays giving young people jobs they are mentally (brain science) unprepared for (think about hospital fiascos that occur time and again) John just wants to continue carrying water for those who fix themselves to What Is despite good science that suggests change may be desirable and beneficial."

"Good science" says nothing of the sort. You haven't provided a shred of evidence that "hospital fiascos" are caused by doctors or health providers being too young to make sound judgments. There isn't any such evidence. In fact "delaying" participation by doctors, chemists, engineers, and others in their fields until their late twenties would do a great disservice to those fields and to society. Many of the the most significant and important breakthroughs in science and technology have been achieved by people in their early twenties and even late teens. To deny them access to labs and workshops do a great disservice to medicine, science, and technology.

You've got to be kidding. Have you really thought this through?


Posted by Still Laughing (but disappointed in the brain development of some contributors), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 17, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I've addressed my comments to Sam, whom I consider an intelligent reader. In so doing, I formulated a pretty clear argument.

I do not consider John/Resident to be intelligent enough to warrant dialogue on this matter. He cannot even quote me without mangling my words.


Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 17, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Sorry if I "mangled" your words. It was not my intention. Please, if I've gotten something wrong, point out where I did. Maybe I misinterpreted what you said?

I apologize for not being sufficiently "intelligent" for you to have a dialog with me on this matter. You are the expert in education, so I'll have to trust your expert judgement on the matter of my intelligence and suitability discuss the matter of Cody Hall's brain development. Thank you for pointing that out.


Posted by Still Laughing (though the brain malfunctions of some posters is no laughing matter), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:08 pm

You see, John, there you go. I state that you mangled, seriously mangled my words, and even misattributed them to me inside of quotation marks. Did you bother to go back and read what you wrote? What, you couldn't find it because you're mixed up about what names you're posting under here? You see, when you can't even grasp what you've written -- erroneously, and obviously so -- I can only surmise a certain cognitive resemblance may be shared between the Hall boy and yourself. I'm sorry, but talking with you is like talking with a vegetable.


Posted by L, a resident of another community
on Nov 17, 2013 at 9:58 pm

As stated by Still Laughing:
I am not a lawyer, and I do not know the legal classifications. But I would be very surprised if this kid is either charged or convicted of 2nd degree murder, or even manslaughter. His crime was reckless driving. There was no premeditation. There probably was no 'thought' at all. His reckless driving -- which was preventable, and should have been prevented by alert institutional players -- resulted in a terrible tragedy. I've seen no evidence that would suggest any other conclusion. Only mob-like calls for his punishment."

Maybe you should read up on the legal classifications. It's not that hard.

This kid (from what I understand) has a history of driving like an arrogant idiot. Driving the way he was on the day of the accident very clearly shows that he had a serious disregard for the well-being of anyone else on the road, and that attitude clearly directly caused the death of an innocent woman. The woman DIED. Therefore, a charge of at least vehicular manslaughter is completely justified. Now since it seems like this kid has a history of behavior like this, and it is most likely because of this that 2nd degree murder is the charge against him. Premeditation doesn't matter. A willful illegal act causing the death of someone = 2nd degree or manslaughter. It's that simple.

I find it interesting that someone questioning the intelligence of someone else chose to speak on a topic that he admittedly has no knowledge about.


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 18, 2013 at 1:10 am

Still laughing at how you're wedging yourself up Sam's arse! Ya know, insulting posters here won't increase your IQ or popularity. You're no better than anyone here, in fact you are really a pretender. Sam doesn't even want to acknowledge you much less align himself with your assumptions and pseudo-intellectual babbling! He actually started off making excuses for Cody too, and railing about illegal assault weapons, if you've been paying attention to this case? He also agreed with John, so where does that leave you? Lol!

It's becoming increasingly apparent that you enjoy saying that it's becoming increasingly apparent. While it's clear that you're beating a dead horse and you eagerly await Sam's approval, your soapboxing is rather obsequious and tiresome. You are embarrassing yourself with the "I'm only speaking with Sam" diatribe as if you are above everyone else. What makes you assume that Sam is the most educated person here? Maybe you are related to Cody or some other alleged derelict hmmm? Why do you yearn to offer an excuse for him, as if we are all in a psychology class somewhere? You are on a public forum and for you to pretend that others are beneath you speaks volumes as to your brain function or lack thereof.

Intelligent people don't all believe in second chances or mercy or forgiveness.

To Hell with the Halls and anyone who stands by them.



Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:01 am

Big Al wrote: "He actually started off making excuses for Cody too, and railing about illegal assault weapon...."

For the record, I never made excuses for Cody Hall's behavior. The most I've said for him is that I think it was very unfortunate for him that he was born into a family with a poor excuse for a father. As for illegal assault weapons, the simple fact is that the law states that certain types of weapons are illegal in this state. From your vehement response against me simply because I stated this well known fact, I'm going to take a wild guess and say that you probably own some of these illegal weapons yourself. If so, you share Cody Hall's total contempt for the law and for the lives and safety of those around you, and you're no better than he is.


Posted by Still Laughing (at myself for trying to rationally engage a lynch mob), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 18, 2013 at 8:32 am

That's what I get. I should have known better. Forget about brain science -- I haven't read about it, so why not continue to bask in my ignorance? Forget about human development theory which emphasizes the importance of the family and community for a child's growth. Heck, what's human development theory? And who cares, because Cody Hall is going to hell! And his father owned assault rifles!

Mark my words: This case will be pleaded down to a significantly lesser charge, and then you vengeful vigilante types who are milling about the courthouse without a clue will have even more to clamor about. Stay dumb everybody, because everybody else is!


Posted by Mitch, a resident of another community
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:05 am

Kid wrecks multiple cars, brags about it via social media, and then kills someone driving INCREDIBLY recklessly. These are the undeniable facts that led up to this point. Indefensible.

Hilarious that apologists would spend their weekend writing long-winded essays out of the goodness of their heart, pointing the blame at everyone/everything other than the person behind the wheel.

Meethinks Cody's lawyer and/or hired "brain chemistry expert" has found their way to the Pleasanton Weekly! Welcome! Here is a little advice:

Given the evidence, you might want to start talking about a plea deal.


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:24 am

Still Laughing wrote: "Forget about human development theory which emphasizes the importance of the family and community for a child's growth. Heck, what's human development theory?"

All this human development theory stuff is way above my head. Let's get down to the bottom line: In view of your ideas about human development theory, what would you say is the proper treatment or punishment for Cody Hall?


Posted by curious george, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Nov 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

curious george is a registered user.

Actually one of the best things I'm getting from this lengthy discussion is that everyone seems to be ignoring Cholo's asinine comments. Thanks folks!


Posted by Still Laughing, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:04 am

That's a fair question, Sam. But you must realize I'm unprepared to give you any kind of definitive reply. For I, just like you and all the other posters, don't have enough facts at hand. Unlike you, I'm doubtful that a second-degree murder charge will stick. But I also doubt it will go to trial. The charge will be bargained down, and I suspect the kid will get no more than 3-5 years, perhaps much of it suspended.

Here are some factors that I may be wrong about. Since we're just gassing here.... I don't think the kid planned to kill or injure anyone that day. I don't think the kid is a killer. My guess is that if this kid pulled even one wing off of a butterfly back when he was 6 years old we would have heard about that and how it indicates the kid is a cruel, ruthless, sadistic killer.

The kid is incredibly stupid. Well, I ask: How could anyone be so stupid? But then I reflect back on some of the stupidity I engaged in, and my friends engaged in, which could have ended in the loss of someone's life. Speeding, racing, doing car stunts, throwing snowballs at cars, to name only a few. Luckily, no one was hurt, and most of my friends and I grew out of that particular phase of stupidity. Here is where I think the findings of neuroscience are interesting, and potentially helpful in understanding Cody Hall, his conspicuous lack of good judgment, combined with his home environment.

Before jumping to any hasty conclusions about this kid, I'd like to know/ask several of the following questions. Was the kid abused at home? How badly, and for how long? Did society, and particularly those assigned to his personal welfare -- teachers, counselors, social/health workers, doctors -- know about the abuse and attempt to intervene? Is there any record of attempted suicides or acts of self-destruction in this kid's background? These are important questions, I think, because it's conceivable to me that this out-of-control kid may well have been lashing out at perhaps anything and everything, such was his anger and despair.

I cite human development theories only because they emphasize the importance of familial and community support for a child's development. It would not surprise me that Cody Hall was getting no support, from anyone.

I'd like some kind of elaborate cat-scan given to him. It would not be at all surprising that a serious brain deficiency might be visible. This, compounded with (perhaps) child abuse (sexual? physical? verbal?) sustained (possibly) over a long duration of time, might begin to provide us with some understanding of the kinds of difficulties this kid had, and the difficulty he no doubt had processing such at his particular stage of mental growth.

At this point, I see the kid as very stupid, very immature, perhaps very traumatized by his environment, and very alone. He seems unable to empathize with others (but that's true of all Republicans, so that may be no great shakes - aiming for humor here). But seriously, were I a prosecutor, I'd order some basic tests to see what kind of a 'responsible' person I'm prosecuting. No conclusions, no prosecution, no recommended sentences until the tests and background checks have been completed.


Posted by Jennifer, a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Nov 18, 2013 at 11:36 am

I've read all the comments, and found them interesting. However, just curious, how is it that he still had a driver's license after those previous irresponsible driving accidents?


Posted by Mitch, a resident of another community
on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:20 pm

Spoken like a true lawyer "Still Laughing", or should we call you Timothy Reins?

Only lawyers use terms like, "If I was a prosecutor..." and babble on incessantly, talking down to everyone in sight as if a law degree is required to properly analyze any situation.

Quick question: What is your hourly rate for trolling message boards?


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 18, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Jennifer wrote: "I've read all the comments, and found them interesting. However, just curious, how is it that he still had a driver's license after those previous irresponsible driving accidents?"

Don't know. Seems like getting caught speeding 30 mph over the 40 mph speed limit at 17 years of age should have resulted in an automatic DMV suspension until at least the age of 18. Perhaps he got out of having the incident reported to DMV by taking a safety class. That would be consistent with other apparent actions to try to keep a low profile with DMV such as not reporting his two totalled cars to the police. In any case, even if the DMV was unaware of his driving habits, his father must have known what was happening.

For teens in most families, the prospect of facing one's father after being caught speeding or getting into a car wreck is much, much scarier than anything that the DMV could possibly do. However, that important strong check on stupid 18 year old actions was probably totally absent in this family. If he has been born into just about any other family in Pleasanton, he probably would have earned a trip to the woodshed with his father the first time he played one of his many stunts. I know if I had a 17- or 18-year old son and I found out that he was speeding at 70 mph on Foothill, I would tear up his driver's license myself - and that would be just the beginning of his troubles.


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 18, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Sam, that was hardly vehement. Just using the word unfortunate in the same sentence as Cody is making an excuse for him. I agree with you about the father being a horrible influence. Pertaining to the assault weapons: Only some assault weapons are considered illegal. The fact that you failed to mention, was that Hall Sr. was not allowed to own any firearms period; and the original story didn't specify whether the guns in question were illegal in general or just illegal due to his being a parolee. For an educated fella you sure get testy and like to make rash assumptions about gun ownership; and don't ever try to pair me with someone like an alleged miscreant such as Cody Hall!!! Ivy League eh? Pshaw!

You obviously wouldn't believe how common these guns are. Imagining that your neighborhood or town is any different is pure folly! Do you realize that after they banned certain guns, others were created that were almost identical? Yes, and now there are a myriad of variants that are legally owned that perform exactly in the same manner as the "banned" guns. And you thought that you were safer. Lol!

You never answered when I suggested that you probably have a gun as well. Safely played... I've always owned weapons, as it is my right to do so proudly and they're legal and fun. Do you think that this fact somehow makes me an evildoer?

Guns are like cars in that they require respect, care and proficiency from the owner. One shouldn't approach a days drive as a "death ride" or a "need for speed" and one shouldn't shoot a gun like they're playing "Doom" or some Clancy novel turned video game.

Sure I've admitted to some wild and crazy teen antics but thankfully no deaths occurred, and these "anomalies" that we are seeing today seem to be increasing in numbers. It's not just a game for everyone.

I can barely get across town to get some food without some maniac almost hitting my car! It seems to be a rampant trend.


Posted by Kim, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 18, 2013 at 7:25 pm

Thank you, John,Sam,resident,Mitch,L


I sure hope SL votes Mitch for his post of the week. Thank you for the post "L".


Posted by Still Laughing (at all those who deserve to be talked down to, for how else does one talk to someone, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 18, 2013 at 9:03 pm

Yes, obviously, Mitch's post gets this week's award. For rather than respond to anything another poster has actually written, he admits it's over his head, calls the poster a faux lawyer (because lawyers use big words, I guess), and skedaddles off without saying a thing. Kim's above post came in a close second for showing a willingness to really engage the issues.

Either a prosecutor or a judge is going to make the call, and what the man-children and women-children say here won't matter a bit. Be prepared: All you vigilantes are going to be very disappointed.


Posted by Mitch, a resident of another community
on Nov 19, 2013 at 8:56 am

Still here, just not as engaged with the subject as you are, being an expert and all.

Keep fighting the "straw man" vigilante justice argument, nobody here is (seriously) calling for the kid to be hung in public. This article is about a judge's decision, and based on what is known, the judge got it 100% right.

Don't care to look deeper into the facts of child development theories, and how they relate to a selfish and spoiled teenager making the same serious mistakes again and again and again, eventually killing someone.

If you are going to feel sorry for someone, feel sorry for the victim and her family.

Being that your all about letting the system run it's course and avoiding vigilante justice (as am I), it shouldn't be too hard for you to sit back from the sidelines and let that happen, no? Seems to be working just fine so far...


Posted by curious george, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:08 am

curious george is a registered user.

Cody - Be careful not to get under any mistletoe this year. It will give you a whole new perspective on the meaning of "holy night"!


Posted by Still Laughing, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 19, 2013 at 10:43 am

I just love it when posters like Mitch hold up their own ignorance and hate and call it a virtue. Hey, who cares to know anything about human development theories when Mitch has got his own prejudices about that spoiled and selfish brat Cody Hall that suit him just fine? Oh, and perish the thought of seeking to gain a better understanding of the kinds of motives that might have been behind the kid's actions. Because, again, Mitch's prejudices are all he needs. Nice, Mitch. Very well thought out.


Posted by Me, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:42 pm

Mr. Hall is in the process of committing suicide - now with the crowd cheering him on. Jump Jump Jump. His actions have had terrible consequences on an innocent family which is beyond terrible and deserving of jail time etc... He will be free on the streets at some point in the future, hopefully he can get the help he needs to resolve whatever issues are driving him to destructive behavior. In the mean time we should be careful not to become the monsters we despise.


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm

"Me" wrote: "He will be free on the streets at some point in the future, hopefully he can get the help he needs to resolve whatever issues are driving him to destructive behavior. In the mean time we should be careful not to become the monsters we despise."

The Halls (both Cody and his father Aaron) have proved themselves to be much less than model citizens. In a community like Pleasanton made up of citizens who have a very low frequency of felony arrests, the fact that two people in the same family are making regular trips to the courthouse to deal with felony charges is almost comical. We should consider the possibility that they are perhaps beyond help and will never be able to function properly in a community like Pleasanton. Frankly, I would be happier to see both of them leave Pleasanton for somewhere that they can act on their impulses without harming anyone around them. Perhaps a remote ghost town somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico. There Cody Hall can speed on a lonely road in the middle of the desert at 140 mph or whatever speed his heart desires. And his father can own all the assault weapons and bazookas that he wants. In view of their lifestyle choices, they would be happier there, and Pleasantonians would be happier with them there.


Posted by Mitch, a resident of another community
on Nov 19, 2013 at 1:12 pm

As a prospective juror, "seeking to gain a better understanding of the kinds of motives that might have been behind the kid's actions" isn't covered within the job title.

If he is found guilty, he needs to face the punishment.

No argument you could provide about his deprived childhood, and shifting the blame elsewhere can change that fact.

Crime > Punishment

My blind "lawyer-read" may have been WAAAAAY off, but it sure seems like you have some stake in this outcome, or at the very least, a warped sense of personal responsibility and too much time on your hands.


Posted by Me, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 19, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Sam Wrote:
The Halls (both Cody and his father Aaron) have proved themselves to be much less than model citizens. In a community like Pleasanton made up of citizens who have a very low frequency of felony arrests, the fact that two people in the same family are making regular trips to the courthouse to deal with felony charges is almost comical. We should consider the possibility that they are perhaps beyond help and will never be able to function properly in a community like Pleasanton. Frankly, I would be happier to see both of them leave Pleasanton for somewhere that they can act on their impulses without harming anyone around them. Perhaps a remote ghost town somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico. There Cody Hall can speed on a lonely road in the middle of the desert at 140 mph or whatever speed his heart desires. And his father can own all the assault weapons and bazookas that he wants. In view of their lifestyle choices, they would be happier there, and Pleasantonians would be happier with them there.

Sure we would all like our community to be safer and free of undesirables. Cody and the Hall clan certainly fit that description. I'm sure the folks in NM and AZ share that wish for their communities. Sure Cody should rightly reap the punishment he has sewn.

That does not change the need to address the self destructive behavior so that there are not future victims, in whomever's community.

If you are saying we should condemn, hate or otherwise act sub-human toward Cody or his family, I pity you.


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 19, 2013 at 7:01 pm

"Me" wrote : "If you are saying we should condemn, hate or otherwise act sub-human toward Cody or his family, I pity you. "

It's "sub-human" to condemn someone for recklessly going 83 mph down Foothill Road and killing someone? With all the people in Pleasanton who feel the same way I do, you've got a lot of pity to spread around.


Posted by Still Laughing (despite being surrounded by sub-humans), a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 19, 2013 at 9:32 pm

I'd have to say that it is indeed 'subhuman' to condemn someone and wish them banished from the community ... when he who condemns has so few facts at hand.

Was Cody's action intentional? Or was it a terrible accident?

Is Cody an evil, snotty, spoiled brat? Or is he an incredibly stupid kid?

Possible factors involved. Cody's upbringing -- where, minimally, he was ignored and quite possibly abused by one or both of his parents. What kinds of emotional trauma has Cody experienced living in the kind of household he did? Might such trauma have caused him to lash out at others, or perhaps to engage in suicidal behaviors?

Cody's background which, aside from allegedly cracking up some cars (that left neither him or others injured) and bragging about his speeding exploits (are we to assume he wasn't exaggerating to impress his friends?), seems to be free of any kind of malevolent behaviors -- such as assault and battery, bullying others, threatening neighbors, harming animals.

Cody's brain development which, likely, is far less developed than that which we'd attribute to a responsible adult. (What if brain scans show him to have the judgmental capacity of a 12 year-old?)

Cody's diet. Was his diet a contributing factor to his stupidity -- i.e., his brain impairment?

Were drugs or alcohol involved? If so, did Cody act under the influence? Is he/was he living his life as an addict?

Cody's psychological health. Has he been diagnosed for suicidal tendencies? Was he capable of differentiating between right and wrong?

What kinds of prior warnings and/or assistance did Cody receive from community agents whose responsibility it is to detect and care for obviously wayward teens?

Plato's question is apt here: What if we find ourselves living within a community of self-righteous sub-humans? Fortunately, Cody will get legal representation. All the factors I've listed above should no doubt figure into what kind of punishment, if any, the kid will receive. Thankfully, his case will not go to trial where sub-human Pleasantonians, whose minds are clouded with prejudice, would be unable to reach a just verdict.


Posted by None of the Above, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:06 am

@ Still laughing:

The fact is that most 18 year olds DON'T drive at absurdly high speeds, wreck multiple cars, tweet about their exploits (while doing them), etc., even though their brains may be still developing. They are responsible enough to make good decisions. I count four or more chances he had to learn from his mistakes. He didn't, and his lapse in judgment killed a woman.


Posted by Phil Acio, a resident of Canyon Oaks
on Nov 20, 2013 at 10:14 am

still laughing...

i find it laughable that you are quick to warn others not to jump to conclusions and that we don't know all the facts, but are equally quick to speculate about his possible child abuse.

and i hate to break it to you, but there is more than enough here to prove 2nd degree murder. it is absolutely the right charge. implied malice aforethought is a slam dunk. does this mean he will actually be convicted? probably not. unfortunately in alameda county, everything gets plead out (you did get that part right).


Posted by Still Laughing, a resident of Happy Valley
on Nov 20, 2013 at 11:16 am

Hey None of the Above,

Fact is, most teens don't grow up in households with an armed felon for a dad. I'd submit that probably a pretty sizable fraction of those who do end up following in their daddy's footsteps. Do you know anything about how the world works?

Hey Phil,

Nice name you've chosen for yourself. Constantly have such matters on your mind, heck, so much that it even oozes into your today's moniker. You apparently don't know the difference between a factual statement and a question. You failed to notice that I was raising questions, not positing blanket, unproven statements like so many of the sub-humans have done on this site. As for your prediction, you have no credibility. Anyone who selects your name as moniker, fails to distinguish multiple question marks from rabid-mouthed truth claims, and then pretends to know what they are talking about can only be laughed at. And believe me, I'm Still Laughing!

Now, Phil, shouldn't you be looking for that pitchfork you misplaced? Or are your hands too tied up?


Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:27 pm

"Still Laughing", aside from the fact that some of your suggested excuses for Cody are getting rather far-fetched (blaming his diet?), one problem with your arguments is that they have nothing in particular to do with the details of this specific case. Your suggested excuses can be used as a possible defense for anyone arrested on a felony charge or accused of a serious crime. Maybe Osama bin Laden was "ignored and quite possibly abused by one or both of his parents". Maybe he suffered from "emotional trauma" as a child that caused him to "lash out at others". Maybe he had problems with brain development. Maybe he had difficulty differentiating between right and wrong. Maybe he didn't have a good breakfast on the day he ordered the hijackers to go ahead with their plan.

So all you've done is supplied us with a multitude of excuses that can be used by anyone charged with a felony. If your intent was to argue that we should go easier on everyone arrested or locked up for felony crimes, then fine. At least you would be logically consistent. (In fact, your list of excuses looks like a nice grab-bag of excuses that any defense lawyer can start to rehearse and practice even before he meets his client or learns anything about the specifics of his client's case). But if you're trying to argue that Cody Hall in particular deserves special consideration and leniency (to the exclusion of all others arrested for felonies who could just as easily use the same excuses, including his own father), then you've failed to make your case.

(P.S.: BTW, "Acio" is a real, legitimate surname.)


Posted by Big Al, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Nov 20, 2013 at 12:50 pm

You actually think that you can talk down to everyone now? C'mon, after you've amused everyone with all your nauseating palaver and hypocritical statements? You are really the one providing the humor here, and the best part is that you don't even know it! Surely Kant would agree that anyone so endlessly engaged in constant conjecture and twaddle must lack the categorical imperative needed to remain rational in any moral discourse.

In one post you admit that you lack sufficient data on the case only to later declare "the kid is stupid". Later in the same post you say "before jumping to hasty conclusions about this kid" only to later call for "some kind of elaborate CAT scan"?

Really now, don't you think that with your desperate and odd obsession with Cody's brain or lack thereof, you may indeed be in need of a scan of some sort yourself? You are far too invested here for such a highbrow of self proclaimed superiority! Don't you have any other soapboxes to stand upon while you prattle on with your eternally long winded faux dissertations?

You are wasting your time here and everyone else's.
Don't you realize that we have pitchforks to sharpen and Maypoles to raise!

The boy crashed, now just watch him BURN!


Posted by Still Laughing, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 20, 2013 at 3:26 pm

Don't know what gets me laughing harder, Big Al (aka Casanova Frankenstein) with his hilarious reference to Kant or Sam with his strong dose of back-bending deflection.

Really Sam, I'm not making excuses about Cody Hall at all. What I am suggesting -- and surely you realize it, though you're not admitting it -- is that you and others have prematurely jumped the gun on this kid.

What I am saying, and have been saying quite clearly, despite your painstaking efforts to NOT understand, is that IF one or more of the questions I have posed prove relevant, it might very well have an influence upon how we view the kid, his state of mind, and the degree of responsibility we should assign to his act. You are aware, I assume, that some people who kill are found 'not guilty by reason of insanity'. This determination is made after robust tests are applied to the defendant. Well, I'm recommending a full battery of tests be given to Cody. Perhaps -- Who knows? You don't, neither do I -- we'll learn more about who he was on that day of the tragic accident. Would it not change your disposition toward him were you to find he had a brain deficiency such that he has the judgment of a 12 year-old?

I'll not dignify your equation of Cody Hall to Osama bin Laden who intentionally killed thousands of human beings. At least you didn't raise the spectre of Cody Hall as Hitler.

You've referenced being a parent on other posts, if my memory serves correctly. I'll assume you were/have been a good parent, and that you could marshal many good reasons why you were/have been such. After having been a good parent, I imagine you feel you can take credit for some of the maturity and other moral dispositions of your child/children. I ask you to imagine what your kid(s) might have looked like had you been a bad parent, perhaps even abusing them. That's all.


Posted by Billy, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm

You are all a bunch of hypocrites your kids are most likely drug addicted or alcoholic and could have made the same mistake as this kid. You have no idea what doing time means nor any grasp on how parenting has nothing to do with how a kid turns out. At 18 were you sound and mature in your judgement? You are all upper middle class to obscenely rich white cowards your generations ruined America and have left the pieces to my generation to clean up. You all got blood on your hands whether it's this case or the one where dude got beat. Wake up you idiots.


Posted by Billy, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Nov 20, 2013 at 6:56 pm

So watch your kids raise them best u can its all u can do if your a bicyclist don't be a jackass if your a driver don't be reckless and if u got no clue about jail or prison then u can't say how long someone should be there because you would be terrified and already learned whatever lesson there is to learn if you were in this kids shoes.


If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?
or register. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

Understanding Early Decision in College Admissions
By Elizabeth LaScala | 1 comment | 1,873 views

New heights for NIMBYs
By Tim Hunt | 29 comments | 1,207 views

When those covering the news become the news
By Gina Channell-Allen | 1 comment | 899 views

Earthquake Insurance
By Roz Rogoff | 2 comments | 727 views