5,000 watch Veterans Day parade on Main Street

Original post made on Nov 8, 2013

A crowd estimated at more than 5,000 lined Main Street in downtown Pleasanton Sunday for the city's 17th annual Veterans Day parade.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 8, 2013, 12:00 AM

Posted by A proud American!
on Nov 8, 2013 at 9:59 pm

This was a great parade to take my kids to see our Veterans, active military, local elected politicians and decorated war heroes. A great day!

By the way, where is the photo that was in the paper of the people on the red fire truck?

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Nov 9, 2013 at 3:48 pm

I was once a young soldier marching in a 4th of July parade in some small town back east. I can't remember the name of the town, but I still have a picture of the little town square with its gazebo in my mind. I also remember the aging former soldiers at the VFW that had retired from their civilian jobs years and years before buying us beers and being grateful, I remember thinking, to have people they thought would understand sit and listen to them for a while. An entire lifetime has passed between then and now, and I look at the world differently from this end. The crowds honor those who have served, and I thank you for your gratitude; but every time I read of another young boy mangled by the experience of war, I wonder at how cheaply our willingness to put our youngsters into harm's way is bought with a couple of high-school marching band songs, a shiny red fire engine siren and a look at a Huey on a float rolling by, and how easily we allow ourselves to ignore the parade of suffering in VA hospitals and private homes across the nation.

I love my country, and I hope it loves its children enough to think much longer and much harder before sending them off to fight.

Mike

Posted by Pleasanton Resident
on Nov 9, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Why has the media, including the PW, neglected to report how many of our young men and women in Afghanistan have died this past week or month? I was saddened to hear how many of our Vets are committing suicide each week, and especially for those who are waiting for V.A. benefits. Shame on us.

Posted by Kathleen
a resident of another community
on Nov 10, 2013 at 4:49 pm

I live in San Jose, I already come to your wonderful county fair each year, now I will start coming over for your Veterans Day parade also, it sounds great!. My city just does not care anymore. I was born and raised here and it makes me sad......

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Nov 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm

A war is an extremely traumatic event. Thousands of people worldwide have committed suicide during and after a war.

Americans have exhibited little concern for the physical and mental health needs of veterans and their families.