Good news for Pleasanton's low-income seniors

Original post made on Nov 1, 2013

There's good news for low-income seniors living in the aging Kottinger Place and Pleasanton Gardens homes off Kottinger Drive.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, November 1, 2013, 7:47 AM

Posted by Marlene
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Nov 1, 2013 at 1:35 pm

This is why I moved to Pleasanton in 1987 from Fremont. The city takes care of it's seniors. Although I am considered a senior now at 66 I still consider myself young. I have a step father in the Parkview (assited living) for the past 6+ years that just turned 100 and my new mother in law just moved to Ridge View Commons (low income independent living) last June (88 years old). I know that these two facilities are on Pleasanton land. Both are very happy in their facilities and are very convient for us to see them frequently. Good job Pleasanton!

Posted by wellwomanRN
a resident of Pleasanton Village
on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Kottinger Place - Pleasanton Gardens = Kottinger Gardens,

Hi, I my be interested in moving into a one bedroom if available. How long they think the renovations will take and when will you be giving out application.

I am a low-income senior on a very tight budget and wondering what anticipated rents will be and when will applications.

Audrey lubow altyz@aok,com

Posted by Jack
on Nov 6, 2013 at 6:58 pm

Sixty Million? To build 185 Senior units? And more than $50,000,000 is coming from a private developer? And these are to remain "affordable" units for Seniors? I'm not sure that math makes sense...

Posted by Jill
on Nov 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

Jack, you are right, that does not sound right. That is $339,500 cost per apartment, and the land is free. Something does not add up here. Some of the people in the units now are paying rent around $100-$200 per month for their units. It is going to take a lot of subsidies to keep it that low-income. The private developer needs to make a profit somehow and I do not see how the math works. I guess this is brought to us by the same group that built the bathroom in the downtown park for $300,000.

Posted by Smiley Face
a resident of Castlewood
on Nov 6, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Ask not what your city can do for you but what YOU can do for your city!