Foothill remembers JoAnn Koobatian

Original post made on Oct 25, 2013

The Foothill High School campus is a sea of pink this week as students, faculty and parents pay tribute to to the school's talented, fun-loving and much admired choir director JoAnn Koobatian, who died last Friday.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, October 25, 2013, 7:06 AM

Posted by tom works
a resident of Livermore
on Oct 25, 2013 at 10:21 am

Both of my daughters graduated from Foothill High and both of them were touched immeasurably by the incandescent Ms Koobatian. My eldest started with her in choir in 1996 and my youngest has followed in Ms Koobatian's musical career footsteps. We have all lost a beautiful soul who made everyone she touched a better person.

Posted by Isabella
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Oct 25, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Thank you for writing about Mrs. K. She was a spectacular woman. She was my vocal director for the Spring Musical Throughly Modern Millie, that I partcipated in back in 2008. She was the strongest, kindest, most loving person I ever knew. So lucky to have known her and to learn from her musicianship. She was and still is an inspiration to all of us.

Posted by Andrew
a resident of another community
on Oct 26, 2013 at 3:55 pm

JoAnn and I sang for many years together in a jazz quartet called CornerPocket. She had the most beautiful soprano ever. Clear, unyielding, pure, perfect. Her notes would extend well beyond the staff line, just like her impact on her friends, family, and students. I'm so sad that she is gone. I am also a teacher, and I understand how crushed her students are right now. She would be so proud of you guys...keep on singing. She did.

Posted by Jane Fields (DeMarta)
a resident of another community
on Oct 26, 2013 at 5:30 pm

My heart is broken for the family and the community. Rachael sang in her choir all 4 years of highschool, we have such happy memories of choir tours and concerts.
Blessings and prayers sent from afar.

Posted by Cori
a resident of Foothill High School
on Oct 26, 2013 at 10:01 pm

Ms. K was the best teacher I have ever had. She was the strongest person I've ever met and dedicated herself to her students. She was really just an unbelievable person. I know she's singing up in heaven. All of us touched by her miss her dearly. We love you, Ms. K!

Posted by hart parent
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

Her daughter is a 7th grade student at Hart Middle School, not Harvest Park. Both the Hart and Foothill communities wore pink on Friday as a show of support.

Posted by Leilani
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Oct 27, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Ms K was my choir teacher at Amador High. I LOVED singing with her. She made that hour my favorite part of every day. I love her and she will be missed.

Posted by Barry
a resident of Southeast Pleasanton
on Oct 28, 2013 at 10:31 am

Anyone up for a singing contest tribute for JoAnn? I spoke with her a few months ago at Trinity Lutheran Church and mentioned she would love an "American Idol" style (Tri Valley has Talent) singing contest. I have a contact with Tommy at Tommy T's who may entertain hosting it...

Let me know...

Posted by Rusty Kransky
a resident of another community
on Oct 28, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I met JoAnn when I returned to school at Chabot Community College in 1986. We sang together in choir and quickly became good friends. We were always getting in trouble for laughing so much. Later we got into more trouble together at San Jose State. Jo was a loving, supportive friend with an amazing voice, and from all accounts she became a wonderful, inspirational teacher. I miss her terribly and feel that without her, the world is a sadder place. I will always treasure the time we spent together.