PG&E's Electrical Service is 3rd World

Original post made by No Juice Again, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Sep 19, 2013

Once again we get hit by an extended PG&E electrical outage. This is the forth time this year for us. The previous three times have been due to blown transformers, and odds are that this latest outage was due to the same cause. If PG&E was doing even a mediocre job of preventive maintenance, these blown transformers would not be happening. PG&E not doing needed maintenance, even though our cost per kw is among the very highest in the nation, is outrageous. People need to raise hell with the California PUC, even though that has typically not been to effective as the PUC has traditionally rubber-stamped most everything PG&E asks for (did someone whisper influence peddling?). People for sure need to raise hell with the Democrats that control the State Legislature. This 3rd-world electrical reliability, at Lamborghini prices, has got to stop. Think "I'M MAD AS HELL AND I AM NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE" and then call your state legislators and Gov. Moonbeam.

Posted by no power also
on Sep 20, 2013 at 7:36 am

When finally reached, the PG&E rep swore that "there are only 34 homes affected and this was a planned outage". Excuse me??? What part about lying do they think is OK? FYI PG&E I asked all of my neighbors, including some businesses, if they had been notified of this "planned outage" and none had.
Let's see, you notify my about a planned outage so at that exact time I decide to allow my computer to run 25 Microsoft updates -- you know the ones, the computer gives you the "do NOT turn off or unplug your computer during these updates" message. And exactly as these 25 updates begin to run my power goes off, surges on, then goes off again for over 2 hours. After final power restoration my computer is no longer booting up properly or connecting to the internet. Hello PG&E, send me that claim form cause you are gonna buy me a new one. Liars and idiots.
For the record, PG&E will replace any electrical item that is damaged due to their equipment failures. Call 800-543-5000 and ask for the claim form. This was NOT a planned outage and the fact that they would lie about it should make everyone file a PUC complaint. Although, as the previous poster commented, the PUC is in bed with PG&E as we all saw from the outcome of the slap on the wrist over the San Bruno fiasco.

Posted by John
on Sep 20, 2013 at 8:46 am

If you think PG&E is 3rd World, then you haven't spent enough time in the 3rd World.

PG&E has a lot of problems. A transformer in our neighborhood blew out repeatedly for years before they finally put in a bigger one. The prices are sometimes high, but my bill of $62 this month didn't seem outrageous. But the infrastructure is breaking down all over the state and there is precious little investment in upgrades and maintenance. I'm sure someone here will want to blame unions & pensions.

But Third World? Ha ha, no

Posted by Vineyards
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 20, 2013 at 8:59 am

The PUC is a useless, spineless, Political Boondoggle committee that is so deep in the pockets of PG&E I do not understand how they get away with it.

Posted by Outta sight
on Sep 20, 2013 at 10:33 am

Their RATES are NOT of this world....UNBELIEVABLE. When you think they can't go any higher, they always do. $250. for a one person townhouse, no cooking, seems a bit on the high side.
The tiers suck. Tiny less than survival usages for tiers 1 & 2, so that you're in tier 3 to have a functional life, I'm always into 4 because I use AC. Victim theft. My USAGE is ALWAYS LESS than same
period in previous year...strictly hostage rates in tiers 3 & 4. PUC should look closer at usage.

Posted by Al
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Sep 20, 2013 at 4:06 pm

If your going to contact your elected officials about PG&E rates and maintenance, ask them how much our electric rates would be decreased if all new generation was natural gas fueled plants as opposed to wind and solar. Natural gas rates have decreased over 70% over the last five years. For every 10 wind or solar plants you have to build 3 gas fired plants for spinning reserves - if clouds roll in or wind stops they need to provide power. $12 billion of transmission costs have been added to our rates because new transmission lines has to be installed to reach remote location of solar and wind plants. Most gas plants can be built near existing transmission. Last but not least UN climate change panel just admitted computer models predicting global warming aren't accurate and earth's temps haven't increased over last 15 years.

Posted by Joe Putaco
a resident of Del Prado
on Sep 21, 2013 at 12:03 am

Quit blaming PG&E for your lack of foresight. Since you are running windows, which has constant updates, go down to the store and buy a Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS). Hook it up to your computer and modem and save yourself the embarrassment of "my computer took a dump when the power went out" story.

Actually in our neighborhood the power has been quite reliable, before a couple of days ago, it was several years since the last one. Ny the way PG&E called my house phone to tell me power would probably be restored by 12:00 noon, it came on before 10:00.

Posted by Chad
on Sep 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

Dear No Juice Again, Try living in Africa and get some perspective. Be happy with what you got.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 22, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I live on a fixed income and nothing is outta sight for me. I guess because I know how to manage M O N E Y!

There's a good price on apple juice at Trader Joe's.

Posted by No Juice Again
on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:54 am

Joe Putaco and Chad,
The two of you evidently belong to California Clueless.
I am not at all happy with PG&E because, compared to utilities in most other areas of the country, they suck. The electrical rates in many of the mid-western states is less than 10 cents/kwh, compared to 44 cents for PG&E. And the reliability of service is horrible, primarily because PG&E is not doing the proper job of maintenance. That became obvious with the facts that came out following the San Bruno gas explosion. They consequently got a 10-figure fine and now they are trying to figure out how to stick their customers with paying the fine.
You guys need to take off your Bay Area blinders and realize that PG&E has been giving us the shaft for decades.

Posted by Bill
on Sep 23, 2013 at 9:18 am

If your power was only out for a couple of hours, good for you. Where we are by the tennis park, we were without power for 18 hours. Everything in the fridge/freezer tossed. Then I get a call from PG&E to participate in a survey about the recent outage. Was I happy with the notification? Well, since my power was out, and my phones use Comcast, there was no notice. This was the worst outage I've seen.

Posted by John
on Sep 23, 2013 at 11:39 am

Cheap natural gas is not a long-term solution to the cost of power. It is still a non-renewable fossil fuel, and the reason it has gotten cheaper is the widespread implementation of hydraulic fracking across the country. The fact that this has resulted in a vast increase in small earthquakes in places like Oklahoma doesn't seem to faze anyone. We're cracking the earth into pieces for our power. This is not sustainable.

If you're power usage is $250/month because you're using the AC, then you are, once again, suffering a first world problem. I've got my summer utility bill down below $70, and the only time it goes above $100 is when I turn on the heat and start using natural gas. Yes power rates are high, but that doesn't mean you should expect cheap power for as much usage as you want to waste. Make some choices, and either pay for it, or reduce your impact.

Posted by Eric
a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

PG&E has had everything go their for too many years and the CPUC refuses to protect the public from PG&E's stupidity.PG&E makes billions and yet their system falls apart on a regular basis,why PG&E doesn't spend the money needed to keep their system in proper working order and the CPUC gives in to any rate increase that PG&E screams it must have to not repair their system as revealed to the public because of the San Bruno pipeline explosion.All rate increases for PG&E should be stopped until their systems are up to date,and PG&E must eat the costs for their own failures