Cutting a tree

Original post made by Treeman on Jul 23, 2013

Is there anyway to get the city to allow you to cut down a tree?We have a silk tree in front of our house and it is a heritage tree by size.The tree is a menace.It sheds almost 365 days a year.It piles up on our roof,screws up our fountain and covers our skylight with debris.My wife thinks it kills our Pygmy fruit trees because of all the stuff that falls into them.It is difficult to clean the roofs and walkways constantly as we are in our 60's.I am about ready to just cut it down and plant a new tree.It is also growing into another tree next to it so the 2 trees are entwined.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:01 am

Triple AAA might have the answer! April Fool!

Posted by ???, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2013 at 10:08 am

Submit an application to Mike Fulford with the City. He will either approve your request or deny it. If he denies it, file an appeal with the Heritage Tree Board. If its as bad as you say, they will likely approve your request and then require you to plant another tree move suitable to the location.

Posted by good luck, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2013 at 11:05 am

Unless you are a developer, good luck. Developers are allowed to cut down many heritage trees where a homeowner has much more difficulty.

Posted by Or...., a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Find a parasite that preys on that type of tree. A dead tree can hardly be considered a heritage tree, unless you're a Govt. worker and you think heritage is the drone that came before you.

Posted by Lee, a resident of Foothill High School
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:05 am

I followed the procedure posted by ??? and was able to remove two heritage trees from my property, one from the front and one from the back. Just go make your case. I also was not required to replace either.

Posted by Bug Splat, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:29 am

Talk to an arborist or research on the internet of how to chemically kill the tree. Once it has croaked, it becomes a necessity to remove the tree.

Posted by Mac, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2013 at 9:47 am

Years ago Pleasanton agreed to remove a public tree because it caused shade over a private-yard pool and then left leaves in the pool. They never replanted a smaller tree in its place, which they said they would do. Many residents were horrified by the loss of such a beautiful tree, but the difference was it was on public property.

It would seem that a troublesome tree should be removed with no impact to others. You shouldn't have to replace it, either, unless an eyesore remained in view.

Good luck. Should be easy to do.

Posted by Mr. Geeneyuss, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 24, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Better to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission.

...TIMBER!!!

Posted by treeman, a resident of Mohr Park
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions.I am a little bothered by the fact I cannot cut down a tree on my property that is such a nuisance.The city did not plant the tree.They should have zero say on what I do with it.

Posted by treeman, a resident of Mohr Park
on Jul 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm

I just read an interesing line from the city ordinance.It said any tree required by a development approved by the planning commission.....Well this tree was not required because I am the only one in my development with a big tree in that location.Most homes have no tree.It was planted buy whoever bought the house originally who had no clue what kind of tree they were planting.

Posted by Kurt Kummer, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jul 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

You might just go to the city's website www.ci.pleasanton.ca.us and in the search box at the top type in 'heritage tree.' That'll get you to the application for heritage tree removal, which costs you nothing. Mike Fulford will take a look at application and the tree and listen to your concerns. Just so you know, the fine for removing a heritage tree without city approval is $5000 per tree. Ouch!

Posted by resident, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 24, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Do NOT remove the tree without permission. A friend who used to live on Neal was fined $60,000 for removing trees that leaned on his house and were cracking the foundation. The fine was reduced by the city attorney but he probably could have gotten permission to do it legally.

Posted by Success, a resident of Foxborough Estates
on Jul 25, 2013 at 8:20 am

I had three large redwoods that I was able to get approval to remove. After trying to convince the city on my own, I hired one of the Pls. City approved arborists to come out and write a report on the trees for me stating why they needed to be removed and their professional recommendation. The couple hundred dollars I spent for the report was worth it as the city agreed to let me remove the trees and I did not have to replace them. Two friends have taken the same approach and it worked for them too. Good Luck!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.