Pleasanton Police Parked Near Schools?

Original post made by Nothing Better to Do?, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Feb 19, 2013

What is the deal with Pleasanton Police Department having Pleasanton police in patrol cars sitting for hours on the side of the road or in parking lots appearing to be doing absolutely nothing?

Just yesterday one was sitting outside the Quarry Lane school building on Boulder Street for hours. Seriously, why are they watching a school for infants through preschoolers? What are they doing? Performing surveillance on 2 year olds?

Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Feb 19, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Why don't you call up the Pleasanton police and ask them?

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Feb 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm

I think that this is a fake story by somebody who's angry about police benefits...BUSTED!

Posted by Guest
a resident of another community
on Feb 19, 2013 at 7:49 pm

They don't do squat near the schools. I work for an after school program and was almost hit twice today by the same mother at a middle school. After honking didn't work, I resorted to putting my window down and having to scream at her...that got her attention. Wasn't the nicest thing to do, but some parents in this community haven't a clue as how to drive safely and properly. I know my van is a "moving billboard" basically, but I'll do whatever so as not to get hit by a clueless parent that isn't paying attention. Safety is my priority.

GET OFF the cell phones parents; TURN your head when you're pulling out of a parking spot; your rear view mirror looks straight back, not to the sides like your neck does for your head. And stop speeding. Trying to squeeze into a long line of cars is dangerous and some child is going to injured.

(Doesn't Quarry Lane School serve preschool through 8th grade?)

Posted by Steve
on Feb 19, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Funny thing is, the same helicopter parents complain about police watching the schools, yet, if a tragedy happens and some flaming mental case liberal brings a gun near a school, they will be the first to cry, where are the cops. You can't have it both ways, unless your real concern is that they will catch your illegally activity.

Posted by Don Key
a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:56 am

I think they are there to stop the "rolling through stop sign" epidemic. The pleasanton PD is REactive not proactive.

Posted by Allen
a resident of Avila
on Feb 20, 2013 at 8:59 am

cops cruising around schools, a good first start, it will help keep the had cases away.

Posted by mooseturd
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:42 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

One generally finds cops where there is lots of crime.

Posted by Mary
a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

Well, it is not a fake story. I've seen them in a variety of locations, sitting in observation of neighborhoods an intersections and schools. And frankly,

I AM PLEASED!

Posted by Mary
a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:55 am

It is called
Deterence ........

Posted by Beth
a resident of Mohr Park
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:22 am

I love seeing the police around our schools, makes me feel that my kids are safe. Also, I believe even Quarry Lane has the police department's community service/education section come in and visit and educate students. I for one, appreciate all the work the Pleasanton Police Department does to keep Pleasanton safe. I also agree, parents need to drive safer and slower around the schools and the paths children take to school. I once again almost saw a car hit a student at the Iron Horse Trail crossing of Mohr Ave. because the parent was going 35 mph in a 25 mph zone, and too focused on getting their child to school. (yes, I reported it to the non-emergency number).

Posted by Don
a resident of Ironwood
on Feb 20, 2013 at 10:25 am

I welcome the PPD anytime in and around our schools. As a school crossing guard for seven years on the same corner I have seen many things. The PPD can't be everywhere all the time but when they park around the schools, they give tickets. Speeding, Cell phone talking and texting are always on their radar. They also are on the lookout for those that continue to go through the crosswalk, when pedestrians are in it, including myself. Cars are suppose to wait until the crosswalk is clear from curb to curb before proceeding.

Posted by Nothing Better to Do?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:34 am

They weren't cruising; they weren't patrolling; they were just sitting. And at least the school portion of Quarry Lane school was closed on the 18th. The police looked like they were reading some sort of paperwork (for hours?).

I thought the police should be patrolling the city, not just sitting at the side of the road for hours on end. Why should taxpayers pay for police to just sit by the side of the road doing apparently nothing?

Posted by Nothing Better to Do?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 11:40 am

I also looked at the online Pleasanton Police Blotter to see if possibly that location was mentioned. Take a look yourself --Web Link

It looks like the Police's own blotter is broken on the city's website and hasn't even been updated since the end of November / beginning of December of 2012.

A better use of time rather than having uniformed officers and cars sit still doing absolutely nothing would be to assign one of its officers to get the police blotter working again on the city's website.

Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Dear "Nothing better to Do": Your handle is appropriate. You complain about the police but you're too lazy to pick up the phone and ask what they're doing so you anonymously gripe about it here. Being a griper and a critic is the easiest job in the world, isn't it?

I'm very happy with the Pleasanton Police. In the few times I've had to call them throughout the years, they've always been very prompt, professional, and courteous. Also, in reading crime reports listed in the Pleasanton Weekly, I've been very impressed by how often they quickly respond and nab a burglar, muffler thief, or other criminal red-handed in the act. As a taxpayer, I'm very happy with the quality of the work provided by the Pleasanton Police.

Posted by Truth
on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Nothing Better To Do...perhaps you could go to PPD and request a ride a long so you can educate yourself. Also realize
Police take reports...lots of reports. If they then write those reports next to a school in a commercial area which has had numerous commercial burglaries, this would make perfect sense. Please realize the Police are not the big bad people who you think they are. Challenge yourself a little and open your mind. There are reasons they do what they do.

Posted by lessismore
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Feb 20, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Dear "Nothing better to Do":
It would appear that you recently got a ticket and are up-set with PPD.
If you break the law and get caught do not cry about it.

PPD keep up the good work. I'm happy to see you pulling over cars who are run red lights.

Posted by Nothing Better to Do?
on Feb 20, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Dear lessismore, no I did not recently get a ticket and am not upset (or as you say up-set). I've never even received a ticket for speeding or running a red light or DUI or one of the fix-it tickets, etc.

If the Pleasanton website was actually working, perhaps I would not have to go dialing random city numbers to find out why they were there.

Posted by Sam
a resident of Oak Hill
on Feb 20, 2013 at 3:41 pm

"Nothing Better" wrote: "Sam, since you seem to have the inside track, why don't you call whatever magic phone number you happen to have and post on the forum why they were there for hours on end (and no, it does not take hours parking on the side of a road to fill out a police report)? Good luck finding out the details."

I'm not the one who witnessed the event(s) or who is making any allegations about the conduct of the PPD. You are.

Posted by Guest
a resident of another community
on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:38 pm

When I'm on my lunch, I park my car in an empty parking lot in Hacienda, eat lunch, relax, etc. Today There was a cop car parked under a tree, far from the street and behind some empty building. They were clearly not observing or patrolling. Just because this is Pleasanton doesn't mean we have every thing perfect.

(Just look to our neighbor Livermore with Hummer Mom getting arrested just days after getting released from prison!)

Posted by Hound dog
a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 20, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Perhaps the cop left and came back later.... Sitting a car for hours on end doesn't sound like very much fun. Doesn't sound like the original poster has any clue what's going on or what the police do.

Posted by Hank
a resident of Foothill Farms
on Feb 20, 2013 at 9:49 pm

The car might have been on stakeout. There has been a rash of home break-ins in the neighborhood, sometimes the intruders steal something and other times it appears they simply need to use a bathroom. Unsettling any way you look at it.

Posted by George
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Feb 21, 2013 at 11:09 am

We need to bring back Mussolini for six months to get the trains running on time, that should give us another sixty years to get things screwed up again.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Feb 21, 2013 at 2:21 pm

"When I'm on my lunch, I park my car in an empty parking lot in Hacienda, eat lunch, relax, etc. "

Was the officer eating lunch? Aren't police allowed to relax while in their vehicle? I'd rather have them in the car ready to take a call, rather than in a restaurant or coffee shop where it would take time to get in the car.

Also, the car provides a measure of deterrence whether they are relaxing, eating, observing or doing paperwork. I like the police staking out the schools and neighborhoods. It keeps people honest.

Posted by anonymous
on Apr 9, 2013 at 1:25 pm

I have been told they write reports in their vehicles so they are on the street instead of being at the station. Depending on the report, I imagine some can be lengthy and take a while to type/write. That would be consistent with the above readers comment that they were looking at papers.

You should worry about yourself, not the officers. And if it was that big of a deal, why didn't you just ask the officer? I bet they would be more than happy to answer you.