NBC TV news story-PUSD Bullying and near death incident

Original post made by Resident on Jan 19, 2013

NBC News has a video news story called "After Near Death Pleasanton Schools Tackle Bullying" at this web link. It involves an 11 year old child that was shoved by a group of bulliers into oncoming traffic in Hacienda Business Park a block from Hart Middle School and nearly got run over by automobiles and was nearly killed.

The link is here- Web Link

If school administrators are too 'busy' to meet with parents of the victim, they are obviously too busy to find out who the perpetrators are. According to the news story, the school administrators refused to meet with the parents because they were too 'busy.' This seems to to be negligence on the District's part. Administrators that behave like this need to be re-assigned to some desk job that does not involve students.

I think it is imperative that law enforcement be immediately contacted by either the students or parents themselves, the sooner the better, so that they can immediately investigate incidents such as these.

It is unclear from the news story if those that pushed the child in traffic were ever caught. Does anyone know if they were ever identified?

Posted by vintagehills mom, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jan 20, 2013 at 7:31 pm

the school officials are always to busy to meet with their customers, the parents. our daughter was harrassed in 5th grade by a classmate (boy) and she told him repeatedly to leave her alone. she complained to the teach who said she was too busy to deal with it. so we complained multiple times and nothing happened. finally the boy shoved his chair into her and caused an injury so we just called the school and told them we were filing a policy report since they could not get their act together to control what was happening in the classroom. their suggestion, relationship counseling for the two students. totally irresponsible don't recommend pleasanton schools to anyone.this is one of many stories of negiligence and unresponsive behavior on behalf of the school officials.

Posted by fyi, a resident of Amador Estates
on Jan 21, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I am a consultant and was going to be trained in the Olweus Bully Prevention program...probably "the" most effective prevention program ever developed.

Web Link

Before I invested in Olweus training (i.e. travel, lodging, course, etc), I approached a PUSD school official a couple years ago to inquire whether this school or the PUSD in general might be interested.

Their answer? Nope.

Posted by been there, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 21, 2013 at 6:32 pm

When my son was been billied and harrased in middle school PE and after many conversations with administrators - nothing changed. The bully was a known bully and had many issues with his behavior. I finally asked the administrator if they could facilitate a conversation with the boy's parents and us to discuss the issues and see what we could do to work together to resolve the issue. The administrators didn't not want to take this road and not sure what happened but the bullying stopped.

Posted by PC, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 22, 2013 at 9:59 am

Cowardly PC. Hear no evil, See no evil...that way it doesn't have to be addressed. Certainly wouldn't want to upset parents who defend bad behavior of their spoiled bad bully boys AND girls.
SAD !

Posted by lessismore, a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:12 pm

My daughter and her friends were bullied and threatened. The other girl's said they were going to punch them in the face and stab them with a knife during the 1st week of school.
When I found out about I contact the school ASAP and discussed the issues with the principle. I was not the only parent to call him. I was very clam but made it very clear I wanted the issues dealt with and consequences or my next call was to the PPD. After a decision with Ken I believe he dealt the issues. The parents were call in and action was taken and these girls have not said a word to my daughter or her friends.

So not all issues are sweep under the rug.

Posted by Elizabeth, a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Jan 22, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I have to agree with lessismore - not all issues are pushed under the rug. I think it depends on the Principal at the school. My son had bullying issues in both elementary and middle school. The principal at the elementary would do nothing after the boy punched my son. My husband called and told the principal that if our son got suspended for defending himself he would sue the principal/district (don't know the legality of that, but the bullying stopped. In middle school Mr. Hansen was and still is (at Amador) very involved. He not only talked to the parents, children, etc who were doing the bullying, but addressed it as a school wide issue. So there are teachers and administrators trying to deal with it.

Posted by PC, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 22, 2013 at 5:29 pm

to been there, sadly, if you had seen the parents, it might have been self-evident and explained the bully's behavior.

Posted by School insider, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 26, 2013 at 10:09 am

The problem with bullies is that their parents are often bullies, which means they show up with lawyers and threaten to sue the school. I wish the parents of kids who are bullied would show up with their own lawyers. Then the school would be forced to listen.

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.