Survey under way for new parks, recreation plan for Pleasanton

Original post made on Nov 28, 2012

A survey group commissioned by the city of Pleasanton has started a telephone survey of residents to seek input on a new comprehensive Parks and Recreation Master Plan. Susan Andrade-Wax, the city's director of Parks and Community Services, said the new plan "is intended to be a significant planning tool to help the city plan for the changing scope of recreational activities." The random telephone survey is being conducted by Network Ltd., a consumer research firm. Additional information regarding the Parks and Recreation Master Plan can be downloaded at Web Link.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, November 27, 2012, 7:34 AM

Posted by Elizabeth
a resident of Mohr Park
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

As a mother of a child with physical disabilities, I would really like to see a playground that is wheelchair/walker accessible. Tan bark and sand are impossible for my child to maneuver across. I know it is more expensive, but to have one accessible playground in the whole city of Pleasanton would be great. The only playground that had the recycled tire ground was at Orloff Park, but the play structure and swings are toddler size. Yes, I will be contacting Parks and Community Services.

Posted by How much
on Nov 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

How much we paying network ltd to do this and why?

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Nov 28, 2012 at 10:00 am

Stacey is a registered user.

How much,

Do you mean why are we paying someone to do a survey or why are doing a parks master plan?

I'd like to think a survey is being done because we govern ourselves with open, public processes that try to be inclusive and solicit input from everyone.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Nov 28, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Elizabeth,

There's a second community workshop coming up on it too. I encourage you to attend.

Workshop #2
December 10, 2012, 6:30 pm
Veteran's Memorial Building
301 Main Street

Posted by Yes, Elizabeth!
on Nov 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Please attend the workshop, Elizabeth! We need someone to be an advocate for children of disabilities. Concord opened up a park called Matteo's Dream that is designed for children in wheelchairs. While my children do not have any disabilities, they absolutely love the park and it has been an amazing learning experience. I love being able to talk to them about why the park was built and why it is necessary. They also have met some wonderful children they would not have met at most parks.

My aunt was in a wheelchair and I encourage you to be an advocate for people with disabilities.

Posted by Elizabeth
a resident of Mohr Park
on Nov 30, 2012 at 7:06 pm

My daughter and I drove up to the opening ceremony at Concord's park!! There were families with children with disabilities from all over the Bay Area. It's awesome!

Thank you Stacey for letting me know about the workshop. I have it on my calendar. I may have to bring my daughter, but that would be a good thing.

Posted by Spudly
a resident of Laguna Oaks
on Dec 1, 2012 at 9:42 am

Great to conduct a survey but there are free online web survey tools that might be more effecient than paying somebody to make phone calls. You may reach a lot more people via the web survey as well. Any reason this method is not used?