New apartment complex planned for West Las Positas Boulevard

Original post made on Nov 21, 2012

Another in a series of developers interested in building affordable high density apartment complexes in Pleasanton has had a favorable reception from the city's Planning Commission in a bid to build a 168-unit, three- and four-story structure on West Las Positas Boulevard near Stoneridge Drive.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 7:50 AM

Posted by affordable?, a resident of Birdland
on Nov 21, 2012 at 9:32 am

New apt complex - affordable housing - yes, I welcome it and near BART makes practical sense. However, reading:
Serpa said the residential development would accommodate mixed-income groups distributed throughout the complex.
Doesn't exactly say "affordable" - may be for 1 or 2.
Then: But the chairman of the nearby Verona Homes apartment complex notified the Planning Commission that his group opposes the "luxury, multifamily community" planned by St. Anton Partners

The new complex should say how many units or what the percentage is for affordable housing. Otherwise there is nothing but more high rents and nothing in compliance with the law.

Posted by William Tell, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 21, 2012 at 10:50 am

@ "affordable" - I'm pretty sure the law mandated that we eliminate the housing cap - not build more than the state 15% requirement of low-income housing. Now, of course, the lawsuit causing us to do all this was filed by Urban Habitat - a low-income advocacy group with the goals of destroying California schools and supporting developer interests by building Section 8 warehouses next to public transportation.

So, hopefully in Pleasanton developers will create market-rate housing with only a 15% set-aside so that low-income families are mixed in with the general population instead of creating a section 8 "project" which will mean Pleasanton would one day have a "ghetto" part of town. It's great that Pleasanton can still command high rents because it's a great place to live. Although with our changing "demographics" and "friends" from the East Bay patronizing our mall via BART - our quality of life is slowly changing.

Posted by Al, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Think of the future Pleasanton. We don't want to become another Stockton.

Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Nov 21, 2012 at 12:21 pm

William Tell said: " Although with our changing "demographics" and "friends" from the East Bay patronizing our mall via BART - our quality of life is slowly changing."

The opening of the mall was before my time, but I wonder how controversial the decision was to open Stoneridge Mall in the first place. Pleasanton didn't have to accept a mall here. As for "friends" from the East Bay visiting our mall, you may not like their company but you love the money that the spend at our mall and the business tax revenue that creates for Pleasanton.

Posted by Ptown native, a resident of Stoneridge
on Nov 21, 2012 at 4:45 pm

I love William Tell.
I always agree with him.
Also I say: I hate HUD.
We're looking at future
slum projects.

Posted by William Tell, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 21, 2012 at 6:20 pm

@ Sam - Pleasanton Mall was doing fine before the "diversity" from the East Bay started pouring in. Now we have parking lot muggings, more thefts from shops. And even a tshirt stand that sells pro-thug tshirts - one that comes to mind had a Warner Brothers logo and said, "Warn a Brother - when the police come." I wish I was making that up, but I'm not. Isn't it so nice that there's an African American subculture that celebrates their criminal activities with tshirts advocating warning them of police. Almost as spectacular as their "Stop Snitching" witness intimidation campaign that still enjoys popularity in Oakland.

@ Cholo - my ancestors won this land fair and square by beating the inferior Mexican army in a war. I abide by the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo and don't advocate English-only in the former Mexican territories - unlike many of my conservative compatriots. It's in my best interest for their to be a self-selecting Hispanic underclass who will always work for minimum wage at low-skill jobs that I don't want to pay very much for. I'm just glad they haven't figured out that learning English would give them more job opportunities and raise their wages. And while I wish them luck just as I would every other newcomer group in California (Japanese, Oklahomans, Hmongs) - I would just rather not subsidize their schooling and healthcare with my tax dollars.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

To post your comment, please click here to login

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

A Norman Rockwell Town
By Roz Rogoff | 6 comments | 1,215 views

David Brooks at his Best and Worst
By Tom Cushing | 5 comments | 782 views

Anti-fracking folks rail against railroads