Do these blades scare anyone else?

Original post made by Concerned Parent, Ruby Hill, on Sep 24, 2012

Although I'm not a sailer myself, I do enjoy time on the water, and appreciate those who have their own boats.

But when parking a catamaran on the street, is it really necessary to leave the rudder blades sticking straight back? Every time time I drive by the one parked on Touriga on my way to drop off my children at school, I think of some child riding their bike and potentially running into one of those blades. It's like the owner is aiming a sharp knife directly at oncoming traffic, right at face level. Someone could be killed!

Aren't there rudder blade covers that you can put on, or a foam bumper? Or I don't know if this is possible, but can't you just turn the rudders sideways so they aren't pointing right at someone in the bike lane.

I know people should be able to avoid obstacles right in front of them, but I've seen my kids run into lots of things, and I would hate to see anyone smack into something sharp and metal and pointing right at them.

If you have a boat parked on the street, please do what you can to make it less of a hazard to people riding or driving by!

Thank you!

Posted by Popeye
on Sep 24, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Just wrap the kids in bubble wrap; it would be more effective at protecting them from life's dangers.

Seriously, the rudders are not metal and they are not sharp...and they pivot when you crash into them. I'd be more concerned about people who leave the trailer hitches in their hitch receivers. Ever walk into one of those?

Call the police and ask how long the boat can stay there. I don't really care to see boats, RVs, and junk cars sitting in front yards. They need to be kept in garages, side yards, or storage yards.

Posted by Bug Splat
on Sep 25, 2012 at 8:35 am

Popeye, you got that right about parking this stuff on streets. If folks have their catamaran parked on the street for more than three days, report them to the cops. We must remain diligent in Pleasanton in keeping the boats, trailers, RVs, etc. from being parked on our city streets. Else, our beautiful city starts to look like Fremont or Hayward!

Posted by Larry
a resident of Livermore
on Sep 25, 2012 at 9:04 am

Have the cops check it out, but in the mean time, remember this:
"If your not part of the solution, your part of the problem"
Go wrap the offending rudders in bubble pack, problem solved.

Posted by Pleasanton Problems
a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:21 am

Wow. Talk about entitlement.

Posted by to Concerned Parent
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:36 am

Dear Ruby Parent,

Go back to your gated little bubble world. So sorry you have to enter the slums of Vintage Hills to get your little darling to school. We don't have homeowners association here in the 'hood so people can do what they want, but watch your speed on Touriga! :)

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 25, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Tell the cops? Really? You call the cops on your neighbors? I guess that says it all.

How about this unique idea:

1. Put down your smart phone

2. Walk out of your house

3. Walk outside in the beautiful California sunshine to your neighbor's front door.

4. Knock on the door (or ring the door bell if they don't answer after a friendly knock)

5. Introduce yourself

6. Explain why you have a problem with something parked in front of their house.

7. Ask them if they're able to move it.

8. Offer your assistance if they need it.

9. Invite them over for a barbeque sometime in the future.

BE A FRICKIN NEIGHBOR! Otherwise you're the problem, not their boat, old car, etc.

Posted by Drexl
a resident of Ironwood
on Sep 25, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Steve, it is of your attitude why it's best to call the police; let them give their tickets, and then the problem will be solved; still might be unsightly, but unless there is HOA, tough luck. People can move out. Why would I want to knock at a door, ask them to do something that obviously they feel they can, then to be either told off politely or rudely to mind my own business.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 25, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Drexl -

The problem is never solved by introducing the police into the situation. The police are not a good interface between neighbors, and should be a last resort.

The attitude that you have, of predicting a bad response before talking with them, is what causes so much violence in this world. Get to know your neighbor. Be friends. You might be surprised how much they're like you.

If you can't speak reasonably with your neighbors, and you predict that they will tell you off, perhaps it's time you moved.

If you also don't know how to explain your problem, perhaps your problem isn't with the neighbor. Perhaps you're just too hung up on what they do.

For instance, I generally don't have a problem with my neighbors parking a car, boat, RV, etc. in front of their house. If it became a problem, I'd ask them if they planned to move it. If they acted like I should mind my own business, I'd let them know that it's illegal (is it?) in a nice way, and they really need to move it. If they still don't move it, I'd ask them if there's a reason they're leaving it there. If there is a reason, maybe you can help resolve it or convince them to move it. If they flat out tell you they won't move it and mind your own business, then let them know that you'll call the police if they don't move it by next week. THEN, call the police.

We all need to be neighbors, and "grow some" if you need to discuss difficult subjects with your neighbors.

If you call the police on your neighbor, you give them no chance to surprise you with their reasonableness. You also don't give them any indication of what your limits are. They may expect the police to be called at any time, and they won't like that. That would just make them hate you as much as you hate them.

Posted by Tish
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Sep 25, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I always bring my husband along, because if they don't do what I nicely tell them to do, then I have to resort to a threat, and I want my hubby there to back me up. Some people just aren't reasonable like Steve and me. C'mon everybody, let's grow a couple!

Posted by Observer
on Sep 25, 2012 at 6:46 pm

First, Larry, YOUR usage is not possessive your, but is a contraction you're...you are. I know spell check is a pain.
To the 'neighbor' issues. A good neighbor would not have parked it there more than overnight, without telling or asking neighbors in advance. That sort of says where that neighbor.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Several of my neighbors always have one of their cars on the street, and some park their boats in their driveways. If I had a problem with it, I'd tell them, but I don't. It certainly hasn't affected home sales around me, so I don't know what the concern is.

Posted by Tish
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Sep 25, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Oh, I get it. Steve is the one with the boat out on the street!

Posted by Common Sense
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Sep 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I agree with the original poster, its common sense you would think.
To the poster of Dear Ruby Parent,
I notice that when ever anyone in our neighborhood (Ruby Hill) makes a comment, lots like to say go back to your gated community. I don't see anywhere that the original poster made a negative comment about the Vintage Hills Neighborhood. They were just giving a safety thought. Why all the hate? No matter where you live you should have pride and by making negative comments about other neighborhoods is so not cool. Hopefully it will be you falling on the rudders and I hope it hurts.

Posted by Been there
on Sep 25, 2012 at 11:24 pm

HOA s are a good thing because, wherever you live, there's always someone messy or inconsidate in the neighborhood and it's always nice to have some reasonable back-up rules that everyone had agreed upon, to resolve the issues.

The boat is a nuisance and should not be there.

If a kid on a bike ran into it, the owner would be liable. If you don't bekieve that...wait til the courts and insurance companies have to sort it out with a judge or jury.

My nephew ran into a parked car - not a nuisance - a dumb thing for a kid to do but kids do dumb things and reasonable people think about that ahead of time.

The boat should not be there.

Posted by Bob
on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

To the first poster:
I understand your concern, and it's a reasonable one. A good point to bring up for discussion. As has been pointed out, the risk is minimum, and probably presents little actual danger.

As for the rest of you who jumped right on this and made it into something else:

1) It's a street. Your responsibility is to teach your children how to ride and importantly, where to ride. Why are you letting your 'children' ride in the street. It's dangerous. There will always be objects in the street, many of them in motion. If you're not going to do your job then the neighborhood, and perhaps child services, should be concerned. However it is all on you. The 'village' is not responsible to clear everything out of the path of your child. It's your job to teach them and to protect them. Do your job and the street becomes less of an issue.

2) It's a street. It's a neighborhood street, not a major road, not Main street. The people who live in the neighborhood have a right to park in the street, especially in front of their own house. Between your car, the spouse's car and the kid's cars, you fill your own driveway and overflow into the street. Yet you seem to feel that you're entitled to park your things in the street, while telling your neighbors that they may not. You seem to draw a great distinction in the shape of the 'thing' parked, as a justification for your personal application of 'equal treatment for all', while excluding your own activities. Well, you're wrong.

3) It's a neighborhood. If you're going to live in a neighborhood then act like a neighbor. If you're going to report to the government every time 'you' don't like something, or as one poster said, 'I always bring my husband along, because if they don't do what I nicely tell them to do, then I have to resort to a threatů', then you need to move to an apartment and get out of the neighborhood. You're not a neighbor. You can try forcing people to comply with your views and conduct themselves only as you want them to, via the apartment management and/or government enforcement systems. But you're not a neighbor.

4) The only poster who approached this correctly was Steve. He is right. It's your neighbors. Go talk to them. Leave your 'mussel' at home to intimidate the children. Leave the cops where they can do what our society needs them to do. Talk to your neighbors as a neighbor, as a potential friend. If it doesn't work out then you can take the next step. But star with a friendly introduction and talk. And remember, if you have your things on the street, they too will be subject to the same respect and treatment, regardless of their 'shape'.

Posted by Tish
a resident of Bridle Creek
on Sep 26, 2012 at 11:13 am

Of course Steve said what he did. It's his boat! And now he owes you a putt-putt up the Sacramento River where you both can hurl insults at the unionized longshoremen.

Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Sep 27, 2012 at 2:04 pm

First it is not on Touriga, it is on Bernal. Second I called the POlice about an ugly truck and they said that the owner had the right to park it on the street if he moved it every 72 hours. So now we all injoy the truck in front of our houses every few days on a 72 hour rotation. Good luck with the Police.