The Bookstore offers $1 deals as it closes its doors

Original post made on Sep 14, 2012

The Bookstore on Hopyard Road at Valley is closing after 26 years, said owner Lisa Kelly, but she is excited about the new chapter opening in her life: She is becoming a personal trainer.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, September 14, 2012, 7:01 AM

Posted by Jonas, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:14 am

Just a nit, but The Bookstore has not been there for 26 years. At most, it has been there for 22 years. I know that 22 years ago, there was a bank in that location.

Any chance we can get a Chipotle to locate there? I currently have to drive too far (bad for the environment) to satisfy my Chipotle cravings.

Posted by Chipolte, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hey Jonas, great idea. I keep begging for Chipotle too. I'd be picking up every other day.

Posted by Mort, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2012 at 9:46 am

More chains?

Please, NO!

Posted by Steve, a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 14, 2012 at 10:05 am

That's right, a chain might actually bring families downtown. We wouldn't want to duplicate the success of the Habit would we?

Posted by Al, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2012 at 12:44 pm

To every person begging for a Chipotle, OPEN ONE!!! Get your money together and buy a chain. Take that resposibility on yourself. Its easy to whine and cry about not having one. Get off your tail and make it happen.

Posted by Mort, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The Bookstore isn't located downtown. It's in the Gene's Shoppping Center.

If you're into these chains that re-heat frozen food, you have a plethora of options here in town. The only one missing is an Olive Garden.

Posted by Tam, a resident of Val Vista
on Sep 14, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Can I interject myself as the happy medium here in this disagreement & say that I would definitely prefer something that is not a chain. HOWEVER, if it has to be a chain then Chipotle is definitely one of the better ones. It does not offer low-quality re-heated food, but instead healthy, fresh food that we could all use more of. I do think that local non-chains in general are much better though. So I guess I'm saying: calm down, you're all correct to some degree in my opinion :) Bummer we're losing a small book store though.

Posted by john, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 14, 2012 at 10:49 pm

My problem with Chipotle is that everything on the menu seems to be about 1000 calories (rough estimate).

Posted by Hungry Howard, a resident of Ponderosa
on Sep 15, 2012 at 8:02 am

Ah, don't you just love the way everyone laments the loss of a bookstore (well, not really) and then jumps to feeding their faces? I LOVE Pleasanton.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Sep 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Like Carlin said, "Buying stuff they don't need. . . and E-A-T-I-N-G!"

Anyway, good luck in your new career, Lisa. Pleasanton has great potential as a fitness market.

Mike

Posted by Jonas, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 17, 2012 at 9:29 am

Al,

For you information, it is very difficult for an individual to get a Chipotle franchise these days. They are primarily selling franchises to entities that want to open 10 or more units, at around a million dollars each, and you must have at least 10 years of restaurant management experience.

Posted by me, a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:13 am

Let's keep everyone happy: Open a Chipotle there and give Lisa Kelly more business!

Posted by Linda, a resident of Country Fair
on Sep 17, 2012 at 11:16 am

Very sorry to see it close. I and my three children enjoyed shopping there. Could always find something unique for a school project. Great atmosphere in the store. Best wishes to Lisa in her new endeavor.

Posted by Bakers Square and Lyons both closed, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 17, 2012 at 12:01 pm

While both were chains, the food and the service was good.
One thing I liked was that they were not too noisy,
might be because they were not crowded?
Or more likely, not a mexican restaurant with deliberately hard surfaces to maximize the noise? (They call that atmosphere? I call it sound pollution!)

We don't have too many "comfort food restaurants left.
Can anyone suggest some?

Posted by Judy, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Sep 17, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I'm so sad that she's closing up shop as I love that little bookstore. Too bad someone doesn't take it over and leave it as such. Best of luck, Lisa! You'll be missed.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.