OPINION: Back to basics for TV30 as San Ramon exits

Original post made on Jun 2, 2012

It's back to the basics for TV30, the Tri-Valley community television system that has been broadcasting here since 1976. Last week, the City Council of San Ramon voted 4-1 to quit funding the nonprofit and to move its community broadcasts to Contra Costa Television, a county-owned station in Martinez that broadcasts locally on Channel 27.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Saturday, June 2, 2012, 7:36 AM

Posted by Paul
a resident of San Ramon
on Jun 2, 2012 at 10:05 am

So, basically, the San Ramon council continues to withdraw behind their walls so they can plot with developer friends in peace.

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Then, there is this from the TVCF article.

"The foundation also paid former area television personality Mark Curtis $94,500 over about 39 months -- about $2,400 per month -- to write press releases, develop marketing campaigns, handle press relations, and emcee events, along with writing and hosting a bi-monthly TV show, "Tri-Valley Community Focus," at TV30."

Maybe San Ramon is also wiping some of the TVCF grease off its hands.

Mike

Posted by Used to be a viewer
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 2, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Once TV30 got rid of people like Dawn Gordner and all of their good shows like Media Roundtable and Grass Roots, it ceased to be watchable and relevant. Who wants to watch a bunch of canned, puff PR pieces with unrealistically perky and upbeat hosts and hostesses?

Posted by Mark Curtis
a resident of another community
on Jun 3, 2012 at 11:24 am

To Mike in Highland Oaks.

I want you to know that the City of San Ramon did not pay me for any of my services; nor did TV-30. I was paid entirely by the Tri-Valley Community Foundation for professional public relations and broadcasting services, at a rate I sharply discounted because it is a non-profit. The facts and figures quoted here were provided directly by me to the Pleasanton Weekly. Like everyone else, I know the community, its many donors and its intended beneficiaries, want to know what happened at TVCF. I am trying to be as cooperative and transparent in disclosing my role. As I stated, the Foundation approached me to provide various services and host the show it paid to air on TV-30. I was paid commensurate with those services.

Posted by Mr T
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Jun 3, 2012 at 11:37 am

Everyone knows that the moment you leave Dublin heading North, you're basically in Danville. San Ramon belongs in the CC sphere. Financially it hurts, but from a cultural and marketing perspective, it's been a long time since San Ramon was in the Tri-Valley anyway.

Posted by Mike
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jun 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Mr. Curtis,

Considering your contribution, my feeling is that your compensation was within reason. I suspect, however, that the investigation of TVCF will reveal a number of legally and ethically questionable relationships between TVCF management and individuals associated with recipient organizations.

Mike