Freedom of Speech and the Cost of Participation

Original post made by Stacey, Amberwood/Wood Meadows, on Apr 16, 2012

I thought this post was well-written and deserved its own topic. It came from the thread about the house fire in Chico.

This story contains 1317 words.

If you are a paid subscriber, check to make sure you have logged in. Otherwise our system cannot recognize you as having full free access to our site.

If you are a paid print subscriber and haven't yet set up an online account, click here to get your online account activated.

Posted by SteveP
a resident of Parkside
on Apr 16, 2012 at 8:39 am

SteveP is a registered user.

Stacey, thanks for the locked, vindictive, small minded post. I am a registered user, but don't always log in simply because it's faster to just post my first name, make an observation and move on. That's part of the reason I stopped sending letters to the Valley Times....at least with these blogs, you can carry on more of a conversation of near realt time dialogue.
You're all for freedom of your speech, but your condescending, snarky post towards myself and other posters is uncalled for. Be an adult and learn to disagree without calling posters malicious or cyber bullies.
I'm certainly not anonymous, as you can attest....I'm on this board almost daily......I know as much about you as you do about me--first names and not much more. The problem for you is, I'm not going away because of your attempts to defame or bully me in the Weekly.
And, since you brought up the example, I do know a lot more about the Chico fire than you--my daughter goes to school there and knew one of the participants in this illegal activity. I could have mentioned it in my previous posts on the subject, but unlike you, I don't feel the need to fill the page with a wordy, pompous missive of other posters. Maybe while you're arguing for changes in the Weekly blogs, you can advocate for a word limit.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 16, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Steve,

I'm sorry you felt that I attempted to defame you by sharing someone else's post in which you were named. As can be seen by my commentary focusing on the vetting process, that was not my intent.

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Apr 16, 2012 at 9:26 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

where is the link? are you referring to the three Chico State students living off campus? i was up there with wife & daughter Saturday and the only thing I picked up was some meth lab blowing up.

Stacy, I would like to make a suggestion, please keep your opening a bit shorter. To be honest, I race through your lengthy writing.

Posted by SteveP
a resident of Parkside
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:13 am

SteveP is a registered user.

Apology accepted. I'm all for a vetting process if it will get rid of (or provide accountabilty) for our local troll posting under multiple, assumed names. His/her self described parodies of any and all subjects is getting somewhat tiresome and serves to do nothing other that dillute the discussion of a topic.
Time to drain the swamp.......

Posted by Casanova_Frankenstein
a resident of Old Towne
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Casanova_Frankenstein is a registered user.

Yeah, everyone should register to comment, because there's a VERY strict "vetting" that goes on before you're allowed to become one of the Pleasanton Weekly Town Forum Elite! Why, look at me, Casanova Frankenstein! If I was using an anonymous name, I wouldn't dare speak up against union thuggery or bullying Stacey, but now that the world knows that it is truly I, Casanova Frankenstein, my posts carry more weight and are certified 40% sane or better because now I have been thoroughly vetted and I am no longer anonymous! The system works!

Casanova Frankenstein, back from the dead to luv y'all up! YeeHAW! Let freedom of speech ring!

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 17, 2012 at 7:56 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

See? Registering to post was no loss to your freedom of speech. The current vetting process was not too complex. You spent a little more of your time to sign up for your throw-away email address and took a little more effort to log into the site, but that's ok. That's the higher cost to participate on this thread. If all threads were locked to registered users, the cost to participate would be even higher. If the PW felt that your account violated the Terms of Use frequently enough, they could block it. You could then sign up for another throw-away email address, and another, and another, and another. The vetting process might even change, raising the cost higher (a reader once suggested charging one dollar). So very many accounts for you to remember. So much time and effort you'd need to spend beyond what you already spend now just to write the same way.

Not everyone is willing to spend like that. When the cost to participate is higher, more value is placed on it.

Posted by Casanova_Frankenstein
a resident of Old Towne
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Casanova_Frankenstein is a registered user.

Yes. YES! I can feel the infallibility infusing my posts now that I have been vetted and I'm no longer anonymous. Amigos, I entreat you to register and JOIN ME! Together, there's nothing we can't comment on!

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

I should add that by registering, you didn't lose your anonymity either. If the vetting process were to change in such a way as to remove your anonymity, I'd be against that with you. Registration is just another website editorial tool.

Posted by Casanova_Frankenstein
a resident of Old Towne
on Apr 17, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Casanova_Frankenstein is a registered user.

What are you talking about? I've been vetted. Vetted! Don't you know what that means?

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Wow, who knew someone could get so excited over the "is a member (registered user)" tag?

Posted by Casanova_Frankenstein
a resident of Old Towne
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Casanova_Frankenstein is a registered user.

Well, it's not like I began a new thread with a 9 paragraph thesis on it or anything. I don't have time for such irrelevant minutiae.

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Apr 17, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Oh, phew. At least we're talking about the topic and not some irrelevant minutiae like Walmart.

To post your comment, please login or register at the top of the page. This topic is only for those who have signed up to participate by providing their email address and establishing a screen name.

First Amendment under attack

Who Won the Debate?

Debate: What do you think?
By pleasantonweekly.com | 4 comments | 372 views