Sign an Online petition to Save the Shadow Cliffs Water Slides

Original post made by Chuck Bierdeman on Mar 28, 2012

Hi all. I set up a quick website where people can add their name to an online "petition" that I will present to the City of Pleasanton Parks and Rec meeting on April 16.

Here is the website (copy and paste in your browser):
www.saveshadowcliffswaterslides.com

Please forward this link to everyone you know, we need lots of names to make our voices heard.

Posted by nicetry, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

While your intentions are good(and I agree with the goal) I believe on-line petitions are meaningless. Anyone can put anyones name on the list. There is no verification that the people actually put their name on the list. I have more than 10 email addresses that I can use to put names on the list. I don't think that the Parks group will pay much attention to the petition.

While I don't think this is your goal, most on-line petitions are used by spammers to gather email addresses.

Posted by cwbierdeman@gmail.com, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 29, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Hi nicetry.

Ouch!

I'm not sure what you intended by your feedback, but quite frankly I do not find it constructive and I hope it doesn't discourage anyone from adding their name.

Additionally, I do think that the Parks and Rec group will pay attention. These are real people with real email address and great comments.

Please let us know if you plan to help out (you mention that you agree with the goal) and how people can support your efforts.

Cheers,

Chuck

Posted by Jeff Durban, a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm

East Bay Regional Parks wants to close down the Shadowcliffs Waterslides in order to return the land to its "natural state". Shadowcliffs was a rock quarry prior to being a park, so returning it to its natural state is well beyond the resources of the Park District. Let's save the waterslides, a great local attraction, an employer of local teens, and a draw for visitors to our town who spend at our local businesses.

The Park District wants the slides gone and appear to be inflating the cost of the repairs needed to make the slides safe by a factor of about 300%. I can only guess this is to sway the public that the slides are a lost cause. An influencial lobbying group of local dog walkers and bird watchers are also pushing EBRPD to remove the slides and build an "Interpretive Center" on the land.

Over 29,000 people visit the slides every year. I highly doubt even a small fraction of that amount would visit an "Interpretive Center" which will probably be a small gazebo with an exhibition on the many uses of goose poop (Shadowcliffs inside joke). Seriously, I'm all for more outdoor educational opportunties, but there is sufficient space at Shadowcliffs for both an Interpretive Center and the Rapids Waterslides.

Please sign the petition to show your support and/or plan to attend the Parks & Rec Meeting on April 16th.

Posted by But Nicetry is right, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 29, 2012 at 5:18 pm

On line petitions are worse than useless - they allow spammers to harvest the e-mail addresses, but rarely are given any credibility.

If you want to help, use the U.S.Post Office (remember them?), and/or go to the meeting, and NEVER forward an on line petition, unless it suggests sending real mail.

I'm for the slides, and do not see why they are trying to kill it.

Posted by Chuck Bierdeman, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 29, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Chuck Bierdeman is a registered user.

Nicetry and But Nicetry,

You both say you are for the slides. May I suggest you focus on doing something towards your stated goal? You both seem bright and interested, I'm sure there are ways that you can help that will allow you to put your energy to use in a constructive manner.

Show us what a "Nice Try" looks like :)

Posted by Julie Testa, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 29, 2012 at 8:05 pm

At the last operations meeting East Bay Regional said they spend three thousand dollars for a sign. Everything that East Bay regional does cost the taxpayers. The Water Slides are operated by an outside vender that actually pays EBRPD. In addition EBRPD makes money off the parking from slide visitors. EBRPD has no money to do anything with the land and removing the slides will cost $100k.
I do not understand why EBRPD wants to remove the slides.

Please sign the petition to show your support and plan to attend the Parks & Rec Meeting on April 16th.

Posted by Dorothy, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Apr 4, 2012 at 10:34 am

I submitted your on line pettition to be included in our Kottinger Ranch neighborhood electronic newsletter and web site. Hope you get results. From,Sponsor of the site.

Posted by cwbierdeman@gmail.com, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Apr 4, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Thanks Dorothy.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.