door to door solicitors at dark

Original post made by no trespassing, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Mar 23, 2012

Pleasanton provides door to door solicitors with "permits" that allow them to ring your doorbell at 7:45 pm Friday evening to pitch cleaning products. Does anyone else have a problem with that? We had a very loud, abrasive, pushy, non-stop talking woman at our door this Friday. We have a no soliciting sign, but Pleasanton Police (PPD) tell me that is basically meaningless. PPD also informed me that if I let anyone at all come to my door, then solicitors have a "right". Really? So then, what is trespassing? I thought it was when someone came onto your property uninvited. Is my front door a public sales location? I didn't think so, but it seems that Pleasanton has a pretty liberal policy that sides with door to door solicitors.

No problem - I've learned my lesson. Let the dogs be the greeters after dark. Lock my front gate. It just goes against how I was brought up. I like to think a neighbor in need could come up to my front door at any time of the day or night. But I guess in the interest of fairness to everyone who might want to come sell me something, I have to treat everyone exactly the same. Even those trying to coerce me into buying something that I don't want - because I owe it to them.

Posted by Similar
on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:02 am

Another from the visiting team was here this afternoon. In Danbury Park we rarely have solicitors. There are signs inside our entrances.
I was talking to be heard on a phone call, pacing near my front door, and didn't answer the door. Shortly the called was over, so I went out front, having to avoid the giant fresh wet goober about 2 inches from my mat....I guess he was ticked I didn't answer the door fast enough. I assumed it was a neighbor I'd see walking back to their place. He (a black man) was shouting something to himself, I guess he took it personally. I said loud enough to hear, I was on a
critical call and couldn't answer. He said,"OK forget it". Later, the man living next door was in his garage, told me the guy was selling some kind of cleaner, neighbor said he didn't want any, and the solicitor's only reply was " do you live here alone ? " Then went on.

Posted by AG
a resident of Del Prado
on Mar 24, 2012 at 12:59 am

Ah, yes. Obviously must point out the race of the solicitor, as it is vital to the story.

Posted by Frank
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on Mar 24, 2012 at 1:20 am

They were at our house as well two days in a row. The first time it was a man that rang my door bell about 5 times while I was in the garage. As I walked to the front door he started banging on the door so hard I didn't answer it. The next day it was a women in the pooring rain trying to sell something. I just told her I was not intererested. Then we saw them running really fast and jumping in a car. Something just didn't seem right.

Posted by no trespassing
on Mar 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

I'm not sure these are all the same group of people, but the overbearing approach sounds the same. Ringing the doorbell multiple times, and banging on the door. I didn't mention in my original post that the woman at my door claimed to be selling cleaning supplies,and she sprayed something onto our entry tile in our house without asking, or being given permission, even though she was standing outside the door. My husband, who had answered the door, just took it as overzealous salesmanship, but I'm not sure about that. The woman asked if she could join us when my husband told her we were eating dinner. Weird.

I have my solution going forward, with no help from our friends in uniform. Is this the suburban form of the "occupy" movement? Or maybe salespeople are trained to be obnoxious these days. The woman yelled at me when I questioned her right to harass the neighborhood at night that she was taught "no doesn't mean no". Hmmm.

Posted by mooseturd
a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Mar 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

I think it is time to revise our laws on this topic. We should either ban soliciting altogether or limit it to the hours between noon and 4 PM on weekdays. Each solicitor should be required to display on a neck lanyard a unique permit and number. I had a door banger two days ago who would not produce a copy of her permit when requested. She left when I threatened to call the police. We don't need this BS.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 24, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Keep pepper spray handy...or, a shot gun...end of story...

Posted by Similar
on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

Moose you're right. In fact we get so few solicitors, I had forgotten, when young adults are doing magazine sales, I have seen them have placards around their necks. The goober at my front door, and asking my neighbor if he lived alone upset me, but not leaving when you say you're ready for dinner, then asking to join you, is over the top. We were all remiss in not calling the police.

Posted by Similar
on Mar 25, 2012 at 12:50 am

And AG, aka smarta$$, YES, an accurate description is relevant and necessary ! ! ! ! any other irrelefant questions ? ? Have you no sense of honesty, integrity, or justice. Do you live BEHIND iron gates....'above and detached from all realitiy' ??? ..I know a limo liberal, not of this world.