fire hydrant crash

Original post made by neighbor on Mar 12, 2012

Last Thursday night, a small pickup truck apparently ran the stop sign at the corner. Of Muirwood and Clovewood, lost control, hit the fire hydrant and knocked it down, causing a geyser of 50+ feet that lasted a full half-hour and flooded the street before the LPFD or city staff were able to turn it off. With all of this activity and damage, I didn't see a mention in the paper of the incident or the driver who caused it. Is this Worthington the taxpayers foot (all the thousands of gallons wasted, the hydrant replacement, the firefighters' time) or does the party at fault pay?

Posted by neighbor, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Mar 12, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Autocorrect changed "something" to "Worthington" above - go figure!

Posted by Logical, a resident of Valencia
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:03 am

I think that the person at fault should pay. As I also think that the person at fault for car accidents that disrupts & delays thousands of commuters, leaving them to sit in the traffic backup they caused. I make $150/hour AFTER I get to my job. But I make NOTHING and lose precious time & money sitting and waiting for a backup caused by a fool texting on the road and not paying attention to driving.

Posted by nancy s., a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

@logical et.al. Accidents happen, that is why they are called accidents. Without all the facts, we do not know if this was a preventable accident (dui, speeding, lost control, texting while driving) or an unavoidable accident (swearved to avoid hitting person or maybe another auto in their lane, obstruction in the roadway,a medical condition, etc.) Depending on the outcome of the investigation, the expenses could be covered by auto insurance or the city. No matter where or when you drive, there will always be delays. And if you are making $150/hr, I am sure you can afford it better than those sitting in the same delay making minimum wage.

Posted by gary, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:49 pm

wtf: "I'm so important...I make $150 an hour"....who gives a (expleteive deleted) what you make? Take public transport or work from home if you cannot stomach the hazards of life in the fats lane, or slow lane, as the case may be...what if YOU caused an accident? Should we get your name & address and bill you? Think about it...

Posted by gary, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:52 pm

whoops!! or was that a Freudian slip..."fats" lane as opposed to fast lane...my mistake, pretty funny, huh?

Posted by nancy s., a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 16, 2012 at 5:25 pm

to all...as it turns out this accident was caused by DUI 20 year old Lauren Ayers (see article in PW under crimes & incidents). I am sure the city will go after her (or her parents) insurance to pay for it, and @logical (which of course you are not), since the PW printed her name I am sure you can go look for your compensation too. LOL

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.