Sometimes I let my car run all night long in the driveway

Original post made by dublinmike on Mar 11, 2012

In the forum on plastic bags, Beth, a resident of the Ruby Hill neighborhood, posts:

"...Sometimes I let my car run all night long in the driveway just in protest against current "pollution" controls. The only way to fight collectivist government interventionism is to resist it. "

This can't be a serious post, right? If it is, Beth is idiot.

I've live in the Tri-Valley nearly all my life. I know what the skies were like in the sixties. In the summer through early Fall, you could not see the Pleasanton hills from Livermore. And, more often than not, traveling west on Highway 50 (precursor to I580) you would not see the hills until reaching Santa Rita. This is no exaggeration.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Beth was just baiting you. You didn't really think someone would write such an absurd statement in sincerity?

Posted by Beth, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 11, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I don't understand how the goverment gets off telling us not to pollute. We all know that global warming is not a settled issue. There's plenty of evidence on both sides, but the elitist scientists on the left wing of science just won't compromise.

But back to goverment intervention in my life. There's other things I do to resist. I flush the toilet every 15 minutes to protest all the alarmist warnings about water shortage. And whenever I hear Obama talk on the television, I unravel a paper clip and then stick it really far into my ear.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Gollum, Give it a rest.

Posted by Howard, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 11, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Maybe when the Wal-mart grocery is approved, the union leadership members that have temporarily moved into Pleasanton to stop the Wal-mart and are posting to this forum over and over will move to the next city where Wal-mart wants to open a grocery store. And they'll be posting to their internet sites instead.

Posted by local, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 11, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Howard, you are right. The bizarre postings went up significantly when the Wal-Mart grocery store was in front of the city council. Must be some of those union reps throwing out garbage on the blog so that the rest of the people with ideas get frustrated and no longer use the blog. We got some of those people on the blogs during the negotiations with the public employee unions but it really spiked with Wal-Mart.

Posted by Beth, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Not only do I let my car run all niught, I also let the water run while I brush my teeth...it all goes back into the ground doesn't it?

I also ask for each item at the grocery store to be placed in it's one plastic bag.

And I always have a wood fire in my fire place on "Spare the Air' Days. I pay taxes, I should be able to whatever I want in my own house!

Posted by b, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:35 pm

...but it is perfectly OK for Rush Limbaugh and Rick Santorum to dictate (and attempt to legislate) moral values.

Posted by Gollum, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:48 pm

B, so nice to see you still have no values, whatsoever. It's true what they say about dems , if they didn't have immoral values, they'd have no values at all.

Posted by dublinmike, a resident of Dublin
on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:24 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

Okay, points to Beth...

But, on the serious side, you folks are blessed with with air we have.

Cheers.

Posted by Howard, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Mar 11, 2012 at 11:34 pm

They have hired operatives to organize the opposition to wal-mart as well as sit on these forums. I'm sure the unions will bus in 4-5 busloads of people from around the state wearing luckys and safeway aprons and demonizing wal-mart to appear at the planning commission and city council meeting.

and they'll picket too. then the phone banks will start. that is all part of their plan.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Mar 12, 2012 at 7:49 am

Stacey is a registered user.

Do they pay a living wage with benefits for that kind of work?

Posted by SteveP, a resident of Parkside
on Mar 12, 2012 at 8:26 am

SteveP is a registered user.

Do they pass the cost of their organizing efforts on to the consumer? If you've purchased groceries lately, you laready know the answer to that question.

Posted by Roy, a resident of Downtown
on Mar 12, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Beth, flushing your toilet every 15 minutes can be expensive. A more sustainable and economically responsible way to resist is to not go at home but always use public, taxpayer financed restrooms instead. Don't flush. Let them back up. I grant you this will cost the city a bit more, but the tsunami is coming and the sooner it comes the sooner the goverment will be brought to its senses and take back the pensions it has given to greedy public workers over the years.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.