Why Minimum day today for all schools?

Original post made by curious, Pleasanton Middle School, on Mar 9, 2012

The PUSD calendar says minimum day for at-risk at grades 1 -5 only for 3/8 and 3/9. And then we find out this week it's a minimum day for all the schools on 3/9? Does anyone out there know why it applied to middle/high schools?

Posted by Parent and Resident
on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I am not sure but I think it may have something to do with the Dec 23, 2012 minimum day.

Last year, they did the same thing but the minimum days were dec 17 and March 11 (2011).

Last year, they said that the reason for this was to make it consistent for families who had kids in elementary as well as middle and high school. And also, they said something about allowing the finals schedule for high schools to be better.

Posted by Parent and Resident
on Mar 10, 2012 at 12:12 pm

"the Dec 23, 2012 minimum day. "

should have read:

the Dec 23, 2011 minimum day.

Posted by no more teacher raises
on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

The teachers wanted a virtual three day weekend. They already have every weekend, every holiday and every summer off. When do they start getting part time wages for part time work?

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

no more . . . you realize it's the union leadership and DO administrators that set the calendars, right. Most teachers I have seen just want to teach. The minimum days at 1-5 are to meet with parents of children at risk of failing their grade. So teachers with students at risk aren't going home early.

It is more productive to talk about what we hope for our children, how teachers play their roles in the partnership of educating them, and how we pay them to fulfill those expectations. Instead, we have federal and state mandates, testing, and not much money to accomplish it. We have entrenched administrators who make more money than those entrusted with our kids and who believe they are entitled to unnecessary perks. And, for me and I could be alone, you have entrenched union leaders who cling to seniority at the expense of the best teachers who are pink slipped every year and our children who do not always have the best teacher in front of their class.

Imparting knowledge is no small feat. Think about what it takes to raise your child to be a decent human being (or making sure they understand one night's worth of homework), multiple it by 30 (and not all learn at the same rate or even in the same way), add sixty adults with opinions, a principal, state standards, testing . . . then there's the union and the D O administrators driving around with a $600 monthly car allowance where one month would pay for your copying for the year. Oh and a pink slip in March if you are among the newest. I don't know why anyone shows up.

I can absolutely balance all of that with a pretty incredible deal for a work year--180ish days and shrinking. I would love to turn all of it on its head--pay teachers more--send administrators home if cuts are necessary--yes, and no seniority; a closer look at benefits (although it will soon be moot with national healthcare) and pensions.

Posted by Parent and Resident
on Mar 11, 2012 at 11:25 am

"The minimum days at 1-5 are to meet with parents of children at risk of failing their grade"

But why can't these meetings take place after school, between 3 and 5 pm? Each teacher in elementary does not have more than 32 students, and of those, not all are at risk. Setting up the meetings between 3-5 should work, why do they need the entire day? It is not required to get all meetings done in one day, and with furlough days, students cannot afford to be out of school on days that are not necessary (again, the meetings with parents of at risk students can take place between 3 and 5)

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Two minimum days weren't they? I'm guessing not meeting from 3-5 p.m. has more to do with contractual hours in a day. Although, many teachers will make accommodations for before or after school because of parents' schedules. Glad to hear you don't care for the loss of learning; I've been surprised by parents who don't think it's a big loss (for a multitude of reasons).

Posted by is it just me?
on Mar 11, 2012 at 1:22 pm

When I grew up, parent / teacher meetings were in the evenings so they never disrupted the regular school schedule.

I also wish there were meetings for the kids who are way ahead too, to discuss how they are to be challenged. I find a lot of the effort goes into helping kids catch up, which is essential, but there are special needs at both ends of the spectrum.

Posted by Embrace Ignorance
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 11, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I have to admit I love comments like those from No more teacher raises. A complete lack of anything factual makes for some pretty fun reading.

Teachers in the upper grades, meaning middle and high, were mandated to stay on campus for the entirety of the regular work day on Friday. This was not something teachers argued for or wanted, but you can spin it anyway you'd like, since the facts don't meet your agenda.

Posted by Teacher
a resident of another community
on Mar 11, 2012 at 8:19 pm

I think it's interesting that others assume that these conferences are simple. Teacher's don't simply sit down and chat. They have to prep a lot of stuff to go over with the parents/guardians, have back up plans and plans to help get the student on track etc. It's not something as simple as sitting down and chatting over a cup of coffee.

And to the complainers that love to mouth off about holidays, weekends and summer vacations- I don't think you understand how much outside work take place. Teachers are not off when they are home. Majority (the great ones at least) are planning, correcting, researching, creating lesson plans etc. Teaching isn't a profession anymore where one goes home and that's that. As for summer vacation- teachers aren't done when your kids are. And MANY go back well before the actual contract start date states. In reality- teachers get one month off, July. This isn't any different from someone who works a 9-5 job, has been there for every and has vacation time racked up the ying yang. Instead of bashing teachers, we should all be working together.

(FYI: I'm a science specialist in another district, only work 3 days a week because that's what my contract says. The days I'm not working, I'm constantly planning and researching different lessons. I'd love for the complainers to walk a week in a teachers shoes.)

Posted by Parent and Resident
on Mar 12, 2012 at 9:46 am

"This isn't any different from someone who works a 9-5 job"

No one making good money and in a professional job works 9-5, get real. Teachers have an easy schedule.

Yes, you have to prepare for your conference, but all year long your students go home at 3, so from 3-5 every day you can prepare lessons (which are mostly done if you have been teaching the same grade level for a while), conferences, etc.

I don't recall ever getting time off from other work responsibilities just because I have say, a meeting with a client. I prepare for the meeting without neglecting my other duties. In your case, you are neglecting your other duties (the rest of the students) to meet with one client (the parent of the at risk child)

Besides, how many at risk kids do you have? I bet you not that many.