Pleasanton Plastic Bags (again)

Original post made by Karla, Danbury Park, on Mar 9, 2012

I continue to think about all of the plastic bags we currently receive from merchants of varying sources - every time it raises yet another question in my mind. The latest: Plastic produce bags. Will we be required to bring our own plastic bags to Safeway or Gene's when we buy produce? If not, will we be charged for produce bags? I think the bottom line here is that we all use (and reuse) our bags, plastic or otherwise. There are some things that a reusable bag is simply NOT suitable for (pet droppings, recyclable food waste/scraps, etc.). If the City Council's intent, in all their infinite wisdom, was to keep bags out of land fill, they did not think through the realities (you know, real life) very well. If Pleasanton citizens need bags for things, guess what - we will find them - purchased or otherwise. We will use them for what we need and then, guess what again...they will end up back in the trash cans (recyclable or otherwise). What next? checking us at the city entrances to make sure we aren't brining in "bag contraband"? If this actually goes through, I plan on finding an on-line source that sells the bags I need, order them in bulk and go on about my business of using and recycling. Mission accomplished. Can you say the same Mayor Hosterman?

Posted by Beth
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 9, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I too plan on resisting this ridiculous plan. Sometimes I let my car run all night long in the driveway just in protest against current "pollution" controls. The only way to fight collectivist goverment interventionism is to resist it.

Posted by lwarner
a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Mar 9, 2012 at 6:17 pm

OMG - what an idiotic thing to do ... leave your car running in the driveway to protest pollution regulations.

Regarding plastic bags -- have you ever been on a beach clean-up? I suggest doing it sometime -- or educating yourself on the facts and reasons behind these initiatives. (Web Link). I think it's selfish and short-sighted to think about only how this affects you in the here and now.

Posted by Beff
on Mar 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Speaking of selfish and short sighted, how about those grocery stores raking in more money for what we I used to receive as part of the grocery service?
Self righteous lwarner, last beach cleanup I participated in turned up more govt supplied hypodermic needles than plastic bags. Good luck saving the world for the likes of your fellow enviro-fascists.

Posted by A Neighbor
on Mar 10, 2012 at 10:00 am

Geeeez, I am so sick of the whining on this topic. Get over it, folks. Change can be good. If San Jose, with a population of almost 1 million residents and a similar bag policy already on the books, can survive without total civil unrest, we here in Ptown can too.

Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Mar 10, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Who says that San Jose is going along with the no plastic bag or paper bag rule? Because they are not on our blog sight we assume that they are complying without protest. I bet if we really looked at San Jose, we would find just as many, if not more who are protesting against this issue. I don't think that they are going to take this lying down anymore than we are.

Posted by A Neighbor
on Mar 10, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Tango, the ordinance in SJ took effect Jan. 1, 2012.

I truly hope you were not implying that your only source of regional news is this forum. We are in SJ's backyard, so what happens there effects what happens here every day.

Web Link

Posted by me
on Mar 11, 2012 at 12:11 am

'Neighbor'
I understand the ban on plastic bags. But why are we banning ALL bags... plastic or paper and at all retailers?

So if someone were to go to say, Macy's and purchase a dress or suit, we are supposed to bring a dress/suit bag with us to protect our purchase while we bring it home? Can our dry cleaning come home in a bag or are we going to have to bring a bag to the cleaners?

I do see the stores profiting off this. They get to make 10 cents a bag where before, they were providing them as a service. I see it as another type of tax, in a way.

I can tell I"m not along. Thanks, Beth, for your agreeable post!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 11, 2012 at 10:23 am

I think that some plastic bags are very nice.

Posted by Beth
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Mar 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yes, I'm with you 'me' and 'Karla'. There are other things you can do to resist intrusive goverment as well. Like when I put on my seatbelt in the car, I intentionally don't snap it shut. Seatbelts are just like another tax that makes car companies have to charge more for their cars to make the same profits they do. And you know sometimes you can drive on some of P-town's prissy clean neighborhood streets and you'll see somebody has dumped their Burger King wrappers and half-full milk cartons in the middle of the street? That's probably me. That's to protest the public taxpayer financed garbage cans on street corners that we have to pay for with our money.

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Mar 11, 2012 at 11:28 am

dublinmike is a registered user.

Plastic bags to carry out your groceries are a waste. I have 5 that I carry in my trunk. I use them at practically every store, and it's not a big deal. It's like wearing a seat belt, you get use to it.

But, plastic bags for produce, bulk bread, deli, etc are hygienic, and I would vigorously oppose it.

Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Mar 11, 2012 at 6:45 pm

No, the Pleasanton Town Square Forum is not my only source of information. I am still saying that just because San Jose went down on Jan 1, 2012 , doesn't say that all complied just like sheep. ( My dog loves herding sheep)

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 11, 2012 at 7:28 pm

in some Asian owned businesses, I've seen some cute plastic bags with red flowers...very cute!!!

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Mar 11, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Dresses made of plastic bags: .google.com/search?q=dress+made+of+plastic+bags&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=WvG&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&ei=X2FdT7PzMK3WiALz25yCBw&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CC8Q_AUoAQ&biw=829&bih=421

Posted by AP
on Mar 13, 2012 at 9:39 am

Holy cow. I've never posted on this site before but I simply can't resist now. The vitriol here over....bags?

I always buy reusable bags when I go into a store. Why? Because I always forget to put them back in the car. I will simply have to train myself.

If we have alternatives to plastic bags, I say we should utilize them. The bags really are a waste. From the pollution when they're produced, shipped and ultimately in a tree along the highway to the clogging of landfills. Personally, I reuse all of my old ones for cleaning litter boxes, but will gladly find an alternative.

This is not government infiltrating our liberties, so get off your grassy knoll.

Posted by Tango
a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Mar 13, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Have you heard that they(?) say that fuel for our cars can be made out of recycled plastics (bags)?

Posted by Rumba
a resident of Grey Eagle Estates
on Mar 13, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Recycled bags are very useful for the elderly. I've been using them for years instead of paying outrageous money to Depends.