Federal judge strikes down U.S. law that states marriage is union of man, woman only

Original post made on Feb 23, 2012

A federal judge in San Francisco Wednesday struck down the U.S. Defense of Marriage Act, which defines marriage as the union of a man and a woman for federal purposes and denies government benefits to same-sex couples.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Thursday, February 23, 2012, 7:36 AM

Posted by Perplexed, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Feb 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Good ruling, and I'm not fully sure why this is even an issue. You don't have to agree with other peoples' lifestyle. But you should support equal rights for *all* Americans. Don't tread on me!

p.s., I'm just glad I (a German Protestant) was permitted to marry my chosen partner, a Portugese Catholic...and they say 'mixed' marrages don't last.

We've come a long way, baby...

Posted by Common Sense, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 23, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I can't see why there could be any other outcome. Laws just cannot be passed to accomodate the desires of bigots.

Posted by Alternative, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Either let everyone marry or ban marriage in city hall & have everyone have a civil union. Then those "wedding" between "man and woman" can be left to churches, synagogues, mosques, temples, etc.

I'm from a "mixed" marriage like Perplexed is in one. My family is Catholic. My siblings are Protestant, Coptic and Muslim.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Feb 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm

When the law is applied equally to all Americans, this country becomes a better place.

I know that there are lots of nasty folks in Plutonia and I sometimes enjoy reading what they have to say.

I don't care who anybody marries as long as they don't steal vegetables from my garden.

Posted by SteveP, a resident of Parkside
on Feb 24, 2012 at 8:30 am

SteveP is a registered user.

This just in: Cholo's vegetables are rallying for the rights to pollinate with fruits. The outcome of this 'union' was applauded by residents of the Tri-Valley who think it's all natural and anything goes. The laws of natural selection will soon be in force, weeding them all out.

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:54 am

I'm in a mixed marriage also. My wife is a cat person and I am a dog person. We never thought we would be allowed to marry let alone procreate but after many prayers and sacrificial offerings to the Flying Spaghetti Monster our wishes came true.

Posted by BYOB to the Funeral, a resident of Avignon
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:37 am

LMAO!!! SteveP is so funny and made my day. Especially the line about "weeding them all out." LOL And they say we're a town of bigots? Come on you clowns, get a sense of humor ... except for those of you who are genetically programmed to expire. Ha-ha-ha.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Feb 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

Today I plan to mix it up: poached salmon with dill weed, fresh toasty bagels, sour cream, and beet salad!!! a friend gave me 2 large wild salmon steaks and a bundle of fresh beets!
I will share it with 4 guests for dinner. dessert = sliced red pears and a honey walnut dip!!!
I can hardly wait.

During the day, I plan to drop by a few sights where "illegals" hang out and distribute a new flyer re: where to get free food, clothes, and how to avoid trouble with the police.

I also plan to drop by the Lawrence Livermore Lab next week to talk to somebody about how to grow crystals. I want to place a few home grown crystals in my garden for special rainbow light effects!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.