Decodaquote cancelled in Times Newspaper

Original post made by OldTimer, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Feb 23, 2012

The Valley Times is replacing the Decodaquote puzzle with another similar puzzle because the Decodeaquote puzzle a few days ago was a ridiculous quote incorrectly attributed to President Obama. Are things getting so bad that that we are policing the decodaquote puzzles now?

Posted by MainStreetDiva
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Feb 23, 2012 at 7:23 pm

MainStreetDiva is a registered user.

I like Cryptoquip better anyway!

Posted by april
a resident of another community
on Feb 24, 2012 at 10:07 am

I am very upset that the decodaquote was replaced. The newspaper often prints errors and simply issues an apology and correction afterwards. This is clearly a liberal bias because it was an erroneous quote contributed to President Obama. Patience Rayn often has quotes of a conservative political nature and I feel this was just the excuse they needed to get rid of her. I have complained to Mercury News Group and hope others will do the same. It was bad enough when they took the puzzle out of the Sunday paper unless you want to pay extra for an insert.

Posted by Sport Park Guy
a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 25, 2012 at 3:44 pm

It is one thing to have a conservative bias. It is another thing to use false quotes to make the President look bad. I enjoyed the quotes but dropping it was the right decision.

Posted by oldtimer
on Feb 27, 2012 at 8:34 am

I think it was ONE quote not quotes. I wonder if the newspaper editors would like to get fired for their mistakes. It is a shame that I can't change local newspapers and get a different company. My choice is a Mercury News paper or none. I'm leaning toward none.

Posted by PC
on Feb 27, 2012 at 9:20 am

I am done with everyone walking on eggshells. While I did not see what the quote was, was the misquote done on purpose to harm? Was it an honest mistake?

I say the paper should apologize for the misquote and carry on as normal. No one is perfect, mistakes happen and this one seems sorta small in the scheme of things! Over-reaction not necessary. People can't seem to let things slide off their backs anymore.

Posted by big jim
a resident of another community
on Jun 4, 2012 at 5:45 pm

This is the same paper that runs Doonesbury everyday?

Posted by MrsJJJ
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Aug 2, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Yes, it has Doonesbury.
And the right-leaning Mallard Fillmore.
And Dilbert. :-)