OPINION: Keep the housing floodgates closed

Original post made on Feb 17, 2012

Pleasanton's two decades of managed slow growth policies ended Monday with the City Council's final approval of a new "housing element" that will become part of the city's General Plan.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, February 17, 2012, 7:40 AM

Posted by Fred A.
on Feb 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

Well, if you had any doubts that the Publisher and Editor of the Pleasanton Weekly were a couple of left wing nuts, this opinion piece should convince you. I am now using the PW issues that I have left over from lining the bottom of my bird cage in the bathroom as wiping material. It's kind of rough on the rear, but the mental satisfaction is just great!

I'm timing this to see how long this stays posted before one of the two nuts takes it down.

Posted by iLovePleasanton
on Feb 17, 2012 at 10:00 am

Even toilet paper was invented in China!

This is from wikipedia

Although paper had been known as a wrapping and padding material in China since the 2nd century BC,[1] the first documented use of toilet paper in human history dates back to the 6th century AD, in early medieval China.[2] In 589 AD the scholar-official Yan Zhitui (531–591) wrote about the use of toilet paper:
"Paper on which there are quotations or commentaries from the Five Classics or the names of sages, I dare not use for toilet purposes".[2]

During the later Tang Dynasty (618–907 AD), an Arab traveler to China in the year 851 AD remarked:
"They [the Chinese] are not careful about cleanliness, and they do not wash themselves with water when they have done their necessities; but they only wipe themselves with paper."[2]

During the early 14th century, it was recorded that in modern-day Zhejiang province alone there was an annual manufacturing of toilet paper amounting in ten million packages of 1,000 to 10,000 sheets of toilet paper each.[2] During the Ming Dynasty (1368–1644 AD), it was recorded in 1393 that an annual supply of 720,000 sheets of toilet paper (two by three feet in size) were produced for the general use of the imperial court at the capital of Nanjing.[2] From the records of the Imperial Bureau of Supplies of that same year, it was also recorded that for Emperor Hongwu's imperial family alone, there were 15,000 sheets of special soft-fabric toilet paper made, and each sheet of toilet paper was even perfumed.[2]

Posted by Concerned Californian
a resident of Valley Trails
on Feb 17, 2012 at 12:52 pm

(Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by ahuh
on Feb 17, 2012 at 2:01 pm

"concerned citizen" just resorts to calling people names when the truth does not match up with whatever opinion he holds. I don't agree so they must be bought off. . .Easier to complain and blame others. Blah blah blah

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Feb 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm

what's all the fuss...can we all get along?

Posted by Browser
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Feb 18, 2012 at 12:56 am

I like it that the council, having had "their hands somewhat tied by an Urban Habitat coalition," is "moving cautiously toward a Growth Management policy that will still limit new permits and property densities."

What's not to like there? And just who is Urban Habitat?

(The Publisher and Editor of the Pleasanton Weekly ... a couple of left wing nuts??? Oh, puhleeze! They are anything but!)

Posted by clink
on Feb 18, 2012 at 1:58 pm

A friend came to visit me from Tracy. He thought Pleasanton was a metropolitan city. "Look" he said, "you have six lanes on Santa Rita. You have major corporate offices all over the place. The roads are crowded and it sprawls like a big city."

I thought about it for a second, and remember when Pleasanton was considered the "back woods". Maybe my friend was right and we are no longer the hick-town of old (I liked living a hick-town by the way). All kinds of change occurs when a city gets big. I use to have sheep by my house. Now it's all huge McMansions with stars like Dilbert living two blocks away.

I'm going to visit my friend in Tracy someday. But, first I'm going to go to Fiesta Taco, close my eyes and remember the good old days when this was an outback hick-town. Gesh, I miss those days.

Posted by clink
on Feb 18, 2012 at 2:01 pm

@ FRED A

You know Fred A. whatever you think of the PW, we are able to get local happenings for FREE online and delivered to my mailbox. I just don't understand why people like you feel the need to blast something that costs the PW staff and owners a bundle to keep going for your convenience.

Try going to MacDonald's or Safeway and tell them you want their food for free so you can slam it over it's packaging or quality or some arcane issue. They will laugh you out of town.

In fact now that I think about it I feel a good laugh coming on right now.