Big bass breaks Shadow Cliffs record

Original post made on Feb 8, 2012

This fish story has witnesses: Eric Doppee, 13, caught a black bass at Shadow Cliffs lake on Saturday that weighed 18 pounds 9 ounces. That breaks the record, he learned from a ranger the next day.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Wednesday, February 8, 2012, 7:39 AM

Posted by Howard Neely, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:52 am

Congratulationss: These are the stories that are lacking in the newspaper these days. Hope we see this young man's picture in the paper this week.
Taking my grandsons to the BMX park is also a fantastic time for our Pleasanton children........we have wonderful parks in town, but we sure could use some more dog parks.
Howard Neely

Posted by Marc, a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:31 pm

These are the kind of stories that forced me to quit fishing after 34 years. Why on earth would you keep a fish like this? Teach your child conservation and in fact unless your fishing for the dinner table then there is no reason what-so-ever to be fishing. Instead of recognizing the magnificence of such a species and leaving it unharmed we trick ourselves into thinking we have achieved some great accomplishment. Wrong! You just killed an apex predator for no reason other than to stuff your freezer. So sad....

Posted by Mitchell, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:39 pm

If you read the whole article it said he tried to release it but it wouldn't swim? I know this kid well he goes to my school and I fish with him a lot.

Posted by fish scale taxidermy, a resident of Lund Ranch II
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:41 pm

We would love to do your replica!
www.fishscaletaxidermy.com

Posted by Mitchell, a resident of Ruby Hill
on Feb 8, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Some people like to fish to be with their friends, be in the fresh air like me. Even if I don't catch any fish I go home with a smile on my face because I had a good time no matter what. Eric is there because he loves everything about fishing so cut him some slack he's not trying to kill apex predators.

Posted by Don osborne, a resident of another community
on Feb 8, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Eric, Congradulations young man. I have been trying to catch and certify a giant like that one you caught for over 10 years. I believe you tried to let the fish go. I believe the fish did not swim away. In very cold water a fish that size needs sunlight to warm her to get her going so to speak. For all you young guns ou there, in the future when you catch a winter bass when you let them go it takes a few minutes to regain strength to swim off. Next time release in the sun and in enough water so her back is in the water walk away and come back in 5 minutes or so and check on her. Chances are this fish would have revived and lived to fight again. Again Congrats for a fish of a life time

Don Osborne www.swimbaitcity.com

Posted by M, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Feb 8, 2012 at 8:59 pm

Marc-- please clarify because I truly don't understand (38 y.o. female here!) You fished for 34 years but don't anymore because, why? And the 34 years you fished was out of necessity to put food on the table?

Thanks, M

Posted by Ben Lorencz, a resident of another community
on Feb 9, 2012 at 9:53 am

Post was removed because it couldn't be verified.

Posted by Truthful, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

Post was removed because it couldn't be verified.

Posted by Walker, a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:10 am

Post was removed because it couldn't be verified.

Posted by Rick, a resident of Parkside
on Feb 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

Congratulations!

I applaud you -especially for being outdoors and doing what you love.

Enjoy your time fishing!

Posted by Gina Channell-Allen, president of the Pleasanton Weekly
on Feb 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Gina Channell-Allen is a registered user.

This thread has run its course and will be closed.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.

Sorry, but further commenting on this topic has been closed.

Tough new rules on water are necessary

Circumstances without Pomp