Littering

Original post made by Dave on Jan 30, 2012

Here's my take on some of the things wrong with the younger generation. Absolutely no pride in maintaining our surroundings, however willing to complain with the catch phrase "Not my responsibility".
Traveling on 580 West bound on Saturday (9/28/12), heading up the Dublin grade, observed a young lady in a Silver Nissan Altima, license plate 6ABS447, causally throw out a banana peeling from her car onto the highway. Absolutely no concept of responsibility on being part of the world and respecting our environment. Height of laziness in that she couldn't somehow retain that banana peeling until it could be properly disposed of.
Hope she sees this or somebody that knows her sees this and somehow gets through to her that littering is not just against the law, but perhaps more importantly, is a crime against our environment.

Posted by Jim, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Very well said Dave.

Posted by Bike Rider, a resident of Downtown
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I suspect the banana is biodegradable. I wonder about the pollutants emitted from Dave's car as he casually sped along the westbound 580 in his gas guzzler killing machine? Absolutely no concept of responsibility on being part of the world and respecting our environment. Height of laziness in that he couldn't take public transportation or ride a bike instead.

Hope he sees this or somebody that knows him sees this and somehow gets through to him that polluting is a crime against our environment.

Posted by steve, a resident of Parkside
on Jan 31, 2012 at 8:41 am

bike rider, I wonder if you realize how much petroleum is used to create that horrid spandex outfit you fruity bike fanatics wear? It's oh so stylish and tells everyone whizzing by that you're a militant biker, looking like a 2 wheeled billboard. It's pollution of another sort.
You should attempt to make a citizens arrest of Dave, if you think he's committing a crime, if you can catch him on your 2 wheeler.
By the way, so adult of you to condone littering. Time to grow up and get a big boy 4 wheeler.

Posted by AnnaS, a resident of Foothill High School
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:26 am

I think that there should be some consistency in making a decision about what is right and what is wrong to do in our society these days.
If sleeping, littering and pooping in public parks is not a crime, but "peaceful demonstration", than throwing banana peels is also not necessary not legal: maybe the young lady demonstrated her protest against bad job conditions of workers in banana industry.
If we agree that throwing banana peels as well as other littering is not legal, than we need to agree that littering and property vandalizing of Occupiers is not a "peaceful demonstration" but a crime.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:02 am

Fortunately, I've known many responsible young citizens. Adults litter to. It's a piece of work to get everybody to help keep the planet clean and safer.

Posted by kim, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 31, 2012 at 11:09 am

I knew this would be a stupid group of comments..don't know why I looked except to confirm my suspicions.

Posted by It's All Good, a resident of Country Fair
on Jan 31, 2012 at 12:38 pm

I'm with Steve! I also hate those bike riders who think they are so cool with their spandex outfits and their oh so sexy thin bodies. Very distracting for drivers like ourselves.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

The lady should not have littered. But I have to say I was a bit taken aback that the lady's license plate was posted when I first saw this post. I don't see either how this really applies to "the younger generation". Don't you think that the same negative stereotypes were said of your generation when you were younger? It someone denigrates those of "the younger generation" who do not litter and even participate in events like the annual arroyo clean-ups.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Parkside
on Jan 31, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Kim, thanks for your vacant contribution. As though your taking up space with your post added any value.
It's all good.....please, help me understand why bike militant bike riders must dress like they are going to entertain people at a carnival? Is it so they can be seen as they try to ride in the traffic lanes in front of the large 4 wheel vehicles that can easily flatten them?
Do you spend a lot of time in traffic stalking anorexic looking carnival clowns?

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Jan 31, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Anyway, don't be throwing stuff out your car window.

Mike

Posted by Dave, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:03 pm

My only reason for posting her license number was to point out the specifics. And it was a younger lady. I am aware that a banana peel is biodegradable; however this does seem to be a common occurrence with all types of trash. Just look at our roadsides. The point is as "Mike" pointed out, "don't be throwing stiff out your car window"

Posted by dave, a resident of Birdland
on Jan 31, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Perhaps I should proof read my "stuff" before I respond! I meant to say "stuff", not stiff!!!!

Posted by Curious, a resident of Del Prado
on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:43 am

@ Steve- why all the hate for people who ride bikes? Are you not capable of maneuvering your 4-wheel vehicle safely down the road without endangering cyclists and others sharing the road? Cyclists pay their share of taxes, so are entitled to use the roads for whatever purpose them deem necessary.

Cyclists wear brightly colored clothing for a variety of reasons including visibility, to promote their sponsors if they are part of a team, and to feel a kinship with pro teams in the same manner as you wear your Raiders jersey and John Deer hat, have a Harley Sticker on your truck, and fly a Confederate flag from your antennae.

Posted by Bike Rider, a resident of Downtown
on Feb 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

Yeah, guys like Dave and especially Steve get 'stuff' and 'stiff' mixed up all the time, especially when discussing those fruity spandex outfits. I don't wear one myself, but I understand they are comfortable, aerodynamic, and ensure against a pant cuff or some such getting caught in one's spokes. It's impressive that Dave was so quick to point out that the road is full of litter, bio and nonbiodegradable. He might also have noted how polluted the sky is from the likes of his gas guzzling killing machine. No hypocrisy there!

Posted by Dave, a resident of Birdland
on Feb 1, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I have no problem with what a cyclist wears..........never said nor implied an issue with that. As a matter of fact, great suggestion on riding a bike or taking mass transit. One question to Bike Rider, why the assumption that I'm operating a "gas guzzling killing machine"? Somehow a concern on common courtesy toward "our" planet gets turned to personal attacks. By the way, "Bike Rider", do you own any type of gas using appliances? Just asking!

Posted by Lewis, a resident of another community
on Mar 4, 2012 at 9:39 pm

Roads and highways were not build cyclists! They endanger the community by riding on roads and highways, and for some reason feel motorist should should share the road with them....as if there is enough room. I hate when you have to cross a double-yellow line into oncoming traffic to avoid a cyclist! Cyclist should pay a road tax!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.