Local drives planned to help Amador grad seeking bone marrow match

Original post made on Jan 27, 2012

Two local drives have been set up to help an Amador Valley High School graduate who needs a bone marrow match in her fight against leukemia.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Friday, January 27, 2012, 7:40 AM

Posted by Alyssa
on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:35 am

Please join the bone marrow registry and encourage all you know to join as well! It's quick and simple...request a homekit at www.aadp.org/homekit OR Web Link

Also, a lot of people have misconceptions about bone marrow donation. Go to Web Link to see for yourself that it's not that scary, especially if it can save Janet's, or someone else's, life!

Posted by M
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jan 29, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I just joined the marrow registry. It was very easy to join and the transplant commitment/process seems easy enough. I won't be a match for Janet, but I do hope I'm called on someday to help.

Good luck, Janet. ~M

Posted by david kam
a resident of Happy Valley
on Jan 30, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Saw the article today and Janet's story inspired me to join. I drove down to the Asian American Donor Program in Alameda out by the Oakland airport, filled out the form, gave them some swabs and now await their call. Will be spreading the word.

Posted by M
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Jan 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm

David Kam~ it was easy to join, yes? I'm telling my family and friends about it. Easy to join, chances are slim that we'll ever be called on, but if we are-- what a difference we can make!

Best wishes to Janet, ~M

Posted by someone
a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 1, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Does it have to be from NorCal? Can other people join the bone marrow registry who live elsewhere with the possibility of Janet getting it?

Posted by Ptown Dad
a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 2, 2012 at 9:30 am

When is the next screening in Pleasanton? There is nothing close to us on the Norcal website.

Posted by Can out of state asians register?
on Feb 2, 2012 at 11:19 am

Do you have to be in California? I have a relative who married into an Asian family but they live in another state. Can they join the registry? How does this work for out of state people? Thanks.

Posted by Glenn Wohltmann
Pleasanton Weekly reporter
on Feb 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Glenn Wohltmann is a registered user.

There are two (see our updated piece).

One is at Mohr Elementary School from 2-6 p.m. on Feb. 16 and the other at Amador on Feb. 25 from noon to 4 p.m.

Posted by Alyssa
on Feb 6, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yes! People from all over the US can join the registry!! Encourage those from other cities, states and even countries to join!

Posted by Candace
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Feb 7, 2012 at 8:09 am

I am raising funds for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). As a participant in their Team In Training San Diego half marathon in June, I'm asking you to help by making a donation to my fundraising campaign. I'm running in honor of a PG&E co-worker, Jennifer Packard's husband who is in remission from Non-hodgkins lymphoma. If you have a friend or family member who is in remission or who lost their battle with blood cancer, give me their name and I will pin it to my jersey the day of the race.

Please use the link in this email to donate online quickly and securely plus learn more about my progress. You will receive a confirmation of your donation by email and I will be notified as soon as you make your donation.

Web Link

Each donation helps accelerate finding a cure for leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Nearly 958,000 Americans are battling these blood cancers. I am hoping that my participation in Team In Training will help bring them hope and support.

On behalf of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, thank you very much for your support. I greatly appreciate your generosity.

Candace Chesnutt

P.S. I would appreciate it if you would forward this email to as many people as you can to encourage them to donate as well. Thanks again.

----------------------------------------------------
The above reflects the opinion of the author and may not represent the views of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. www.lls.org

Posted by asian
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Feb 17, 2012 at 7:26 am

is there a place in town to get tested if you missed the feb 16th location and can't make the one on the 25th? I would like to get tested to see if i am a match for Liang but don't want to go on the national registry.