Walmart Grocery

Original post made by Gail on Jan 12, 2012

Is it true that a Walmart grocery will be moving into the vacant Nob Hill building? I heard a few people comment about it at the council meeting.
Anyone know if this is rumor or a done deal?

Posted by Arroyo, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Done deal...!!

Posted by Gail, a resident of Danbury Park
on Jan 12, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Wow, I'm surprised.
Wonder how soon it will happen.

Posted by Joe, a resident of Siena
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:43 am

Great! Glad to hear we're getting one.

Posted by Mort, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 13, 2012 at 7:52 am

I like it that it'll bring revenue to the city, jobs, and competition against other stores in town, though I'll probably never step a foot inside it.

Posted by Bat Guano, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:30 am

I sure hope its true. It will be great to have that assist in reducing grocery prices. And, it will be a burr in the shorts of The Three Stooges on the City Council, whose union payola might be threatened for this occurring on their watch. If it does happen, I can't wait to go to a City Council meeting and gloat to the Hippy Mayor and the other two stooges.

Posted by Janice, a resident of Avila
on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:51 am

I think it's wonderful (and I live right next to that shopping center) - all of these old fuddy duddies who oppose this need to move to the country. Get with the program - businesses bring tax dollars to the city which makes this place such a great city to live in.

Posted by Vanessa, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 13, 2012 at 8:56 am

I sure hope so! Dedicated Safeway shopper here who probably won't go there very much, but it's a blight on the city to have that big old shopping center empty. It will be nice to have another option, particularly if I just have to make a quick stop close to home.

Posted by Razzzor, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:18 am

I'm a little worried about all the trashy parking lot dwellers that usually flock to a Walmart. Just look at the Rosewood Drive store parking lot. Our city ordinances do not prohibit this sort of 'urban camping.'

Posted by olfthfl, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 13, 2012 at 9:31 am

Being a very close neighbor of the shopping center, I for one could not be happier. It can't open soon enough for me!

Posted by mh, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 13, 2012 at 10:51 am

Yes, I'm just thrilled to have such an UPSCALE store such as WALMART moving in right on one of the main roads into downtown Pleasanton. All those tacky people will be able to park their "homes" and wave to all the people bringing in new REVENUE to a company that grabs their vendors by the short hairs while making deals. And I guess all you Ruby Hills people will be upping your donations to Axis Community Health so the Walmart employees can get some kind of healthcare.

Posted by omg, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 13, 2012 at 2:12 pm

was really hoping for a better quality grocery store like wholefoods to go into the Nobhill space. Isnt all the latest processed foods close enough for the junk eaters at the new Target across the freeway in Dublin? too bad for mini dublin (I mean Plesanton) we are going down the tubes fast!

Posted by common sense, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm

As you might of noticed if you ever shopped for food items at Walmart, Walmart food prices are not that great, average at best. The more competition the better tho. Also, if one wants to spend extra money for foods with the same nutritional value Whole Foods is the answer. Is that what is called snob appeal?

Posted by Steve, a resident of Parkside
on Jan 14, 2012 at 8:24 am

My, if you need to shop at an overpriced, elitist store, drive your Prius to (W)hole Foods and alleviate your guilt there. Any store , even if it doesn't meet your snotty standards, is better than a vacant space.
Of course, once your low income housing is built in the city, WalMart will be getting lots of business. You can be sure the folks in the new barrios won't be shopping at Genes or hole foods, so I think you're safe to keep over spending for the same items with different packaging.

Posted by FYI, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 14, 2012 at 9:41 am

I have nothing against a Wal-Mart grocery store going there, it's better than leaving it empty (like the Vintage Hills center) for years.

But, the thing I do worry about is Fresh N' Easy and Trader Joes which are just down the street. I don't like when all of these small markets are grouped together.

Everyone should try Fresh N' Easy. It's a great little market. It has great prices, coupons in the mail all the time, easy parking, and some good items in that store. Their prepared meals are good, but they have lots of other good items too. The employees are friendly, too. If you haven't tried this store, you should.

Posted by Elizabeth, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jan 15, 2012 at 1:08 am

I second FYI's opinion about Fresh N'Easy. We probably do about 40% of our shopping there now.

Posted by Mort, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 16, 2012 at 9:37 am

Fresh and Easy sells produce in styrofoam trays covered in plastic wrap. No, thanks.

Posted by omg, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Jan 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

yeah whole foods produce probably has the same nutritional value as walmart or target food, but minus the pesticides. Also have a alternative selection to food without nitrites, corn syrup, fillers etc. I am not a wealthy person but want to try and eat healthy and fresh. If a healthier lifestyle is "snobby" to some people? get a clue. Eat simpler and healthier & possibly save yourself some major healthcare bills later. - good luck!

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.