Pre-Dawn Walkers and Runners

Original post made by Early morning driver on Dec 27, 2011

I leave early for work to beat the traffic. I'm generally in my car around 630 - 645. Several mornings I see a runner who runs along Sunol right at the entrance ramps to 680. Most mornings she is in all black. The only thing reflective is those little tabs on the back of her shoes. This morning I saw a walker on my street in black pants and a maroon jacket. She was in the street and not on the sidewalk.

PLEASE....if you are exercising before the sun is up... please wear LIGHT colors to make you visible to motorists. Better yet, buy yourself a reflective vest or belt.

Also..CYCLISTS... make sure your lamps are working well and don't need their batteries replaced. Very dim lights don't help increase your visibility until drivers are up close to you.

I KNOW it is the driver's responsibility to see you. But if you are riding, walking or cycling before dawn or after sunset... please DO YOUR PART TO MAKE YOURSELF VISIBLE.

I always wonder if it would be inappropriate to stop these people and tell them.. "I couldn't see you till I was right next to you because you are in all black". I want to do it but I'm thinking it would not be well received.

Posted by Margaret, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 28, 2011 at 9:18 am

Amen to that, and the same things goes for dogwalkers.

Posted by Jess, a resident of Parkside
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:06 am

I third this. This also goes for bicylists.

Posted by Emma, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:08 am

I'm a runner and always make sure I'm wearing a reflective vest when it is dark out. Some people think they are dorky, but better to be dorky than hit by a car.

Posted by Ron, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:21 am

As a cyclist that rides occasionally when its dark, this is a taillight that I have found to be very effective and bright:

Web Link

A bit pricey, but at 60 lumens, cars will have no excuse that they can't see you on the road when approaching from behind.

Posted by Mark, a resident of Stoneridge
on Dec 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

Amen to that. Same thing happens in Stoneridge Drive, near Kamp / Newton Drive. There is a big sidewalk, but the runners/ walkers choose to use the bike path, wear all in black at night.

Posted by W Ron Sutton, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Dec 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm

As an early morning walker, I made that investment. The BEST is worn by the person, even for cyclists, since you may not always be on the bike. Fleet Feet has a great selection. Consider wearing the straps at the ankles and wrists too. "Reflections that are moving" are easier for the eye to catch in the dark.

Posted by AnnaS, a resident of Foothill High School
on Dec 29, 2011 at 8:47 am

I don't think that telling people that drivers cannot see them is inappropriate. After all, it's a reminder that can safe these peoples' lives one day. As you would not consider inappropriate to remind children that they cannot be seen by drivers from behind cars, noticing that you cannot see a runner or a walker is also OK.
It's not difficult to find reflected gear and everybody who can afford running shoes can afford at least reflected bands. The problem is that most people out running think they are easily seen and don't need reflective clothes. Anyone who takes their time to stop and warn others that they put themselves in danger actually does a big favor for these people. Hopefully we can be responsible enough to not make these stops a regular things.

Posted by Don, a resident of Ironwood
on Dec 29, 2011 at 9:00 am

As a Pleasanton School Crossing Guard, I see everything. I have noticed over the years that these runners will not stop for anything. They are suppose to follow the laws just as any pedestrian crossing the street must do. The men are worse than the women as they seem to have a problem with doing what a crossing guard is suppose to do. I find it somewhat annoying when children are present and they want to know why the adults don't have to follow the rules.

Posted by Dan, a resident of Mission Park
on Dec 29, 2011 at 11:00 am

I wear a reflective vest when I run in the early AM and a few months ago I bought a headlamp. Sunrise Mountain Sports in Livermore has a great selection. Now I can run trails when it is dark because I can see where I'm going and I don't have to worry about cars. An added benefit, the headlamp is great for barbecuing in the dark!

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Dec 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm

When visibility is limited, it is best to assume that someone or something will be rather than will not be in your path. This reduces accidents and increases cardiac well-being.

Mike

Posted by mooseturd, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Dec 29, 2011 at 6:13 pm

mooseturd is a registered user.

Walkers-- take this seriously. My wife and I are out before 6 am and nearly every day encounter one idiot in all black walking in the street.

Kudos to the dog walker with a reflective lease.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Jan 2, 2012 at 11:29 am

Web Link WEAR REFLECTIVE GEAR.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.