What does the new Safeway add to Pleasanton?

Original post made by mystified about the new safeway on Dec 17, 2011

I went there today (Dec. 17) for the first time. Around 10 am. Pretty empty, especially for the weekend before Christmas. I didn't see anything different about this safeway than the one on Santa Rita or than the 2 in Dublin. I left empty-handed, decided to do my shopping at Genes, where I know where things are, they have a butcher, and I just felt like being loyal to them. I really can't believe Pleasanton was duped by Safeway (or maybe just the residents were). I don't get the location, or the fact that it doesn't seem to add anything to the town, except some traffic issues. I'm all ears if someone would like to tell me what it does add. I just can't believe this was approved. Who really is benefitting here other than perhaps Safeway (if they ever recover their costs).

Posted by Curtis , a resident of Grey Eagle Estates
on Dec 18, 2011 at 6:50 am

I agree! I walked in the store and thought what's the big deal. It is like any other Safeway store.
I think in this town Safeway gets to do whatever it wants. It's nice to have a grocery store in that part of town but it certainly is nothing special. Just more of the same at high prices.
I hope Walmart does open one of their Neighborhood Markets in the empty Nob Hill building. At least the prices will be affordable.
It will be entertaining to watch the whole city council try everything they can think of to stop them!

Posted by milton friedman, a resident of Amador Estates
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:08 am

I am not a big Safeway fan, but am glad Safeway chose to add one more store. If it succeeds, congrats to them. If not, then this is the free market at work.

Until our Communist U.S. President nationalizes the grocery stores like he did the car companies and the student loan business, and then closes the ones that didn't contribute to his marxist democrat party, we should consider ourselves fortunate that Safeway even wanted to expand here. In fact, we're lucky that they want to keep their headquarters in the Socialist State of California ... and Pleasanton in particular.

So quit your effing whining.

If you don't like Safeway...here is a novel idea. Don't shop there. It is your choice ... for now. If Obama is re-elected, your only choice may be to go to the government groceries.

Posted by troy, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:32 am

Gee milton....why turn a safeway discussion into a political rant.
We are all aware that if we don't like Safeway we don't have to shop there.
You should be standing on a corner downtown 'sharing' your political views, not adding them to discussions about grocery stores!

Posted by Karen, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:18 am

I agree. I was very excited about the new Safeway because I was thinking it was going to be more like a "Whole Foods" type store. We have a lot of dietary restrictions in our family (mainly food allergies,) and so we were looking forward to seeing more offerings at the new Safeway similar to what is offered at Whole Foods. However, nothing exciting. What a bummer!! Guess I still need to make the drive to Whole Foods.

Posted by Pete , a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:19 am

The store adds food to Southwest Pleasanton... what more would you want? The fortress itself, two ways in... 1 1/2 ways out... does represent... you can fill in the blanks... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Posted by milton friedman, a resident of Amador Estates
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:26 am

Hey Troy,
You failed to observe that the original poster criticized our local government for "approving" Safeway's existence in this new location. That is a political statement.

I countered that political statement.

And in case you hadn't noticed, our government has decided to regulate nearly every aspect of our daily lives.

Let the market decide while some semblance of a free market still exists.

Merry Christmas (while we are still allowed to say this)

Posted by milton friedman, a resident of Amador Estates
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:49 am

FURTHERMORE TROY, the ONLY factors the local planners should have been deciding upon regarding whether to "approve" Safeway were such things like ...

- traffic impact
- parking lot capacity,
- and a few others...

They SHOULD NOT be in the business of choosing who is allowed to enter (or exit) the market ... like Obama has (e.g. Solyndra, NUMMI, Tesla, etc.)

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 18, 2011 at 11:42 am

I've heard that there's a cool employee at SAFEWAY that likes to wrap porkchops and raisins at the same time!

tell me, is it clear to you what SAFEWAY brings to Plutonia...duh

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Safeway opened the store because the company believes it can earn money.

Mike

Posted by Monopoly, a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Sure it can earn money, and in the process shut down nearby Raley's and Gene's and close the mid-town Safeway so that they become the only game in town. Once they have a monopoly, they'll raise their prices, which forces everyone to drive to the Bernal I-680 exit in order to shop for groceries no matter where they live.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Raley's and Gene's were charging too much $$$ for products. It makes sense to shop where consumer's can purchase the same product for less $$...tee hee hee, tee hee hee...

are you dense or what?

Posted by Pro-law, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 18, 2011 at 6:07 pm

It adds tax revenue!

Posted by Monopoly, a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Dec 18, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Tax revenue? From what exactly. With only a few exceptions, sales of food products for human consumption (foods that people eat) are mostly EXEMPT from tax.

Posted by justwondering, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm

How about property taxes to start especially since improved land is assessed higher then dirt.

Posted by Monopoly, a resident of Carlton Oaks
on Dec 18, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Higher road maintenance costs (due to a much greater number of car trips per 1,000 square feet) and greater demand for public safety services means that many types of businesses cost taxpayers more than they bring in with revenue, including large scale grocery shopping centers.

Studies show that big box retail, shopping centers, and fast-food restaurants cost taxpayers more than they produce in revenue. One study showed big box retail generates a net annual deficit of $468 per 1,000 square feet, shopping centers produce an annual drain of $314 per 1,000 square feet and fast-food restaurants have a net annual cost of $5,168 per 1,000 square feet.

Small-scale specialty businesses have a positive impact on public revenue, generating more tax revenue than it costs to service with a return of $326 per 1,000 square feet. Other commercial land uses that are revenue winners include business parks, offices, and hotels.

Posted by Chris, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Dec 19, 2011 at 10:19 am

Yes, tax revenue!!! "Monopoly" you obviously are not familiar with what it takes to run a business. i have a business in pleasanton and I have to pay "property taxes to Alameda Co" for what is inside my store such as equipment, shelving, etc. even though I don't own the property. Additionally, I have to pay sales tax and I have to pay for a business license that is based upon my annual sales. That said Safeway is contributing a %$*&load of money to pleasanton. Instead of complaining you should be happy that they are hear, paying and helping your brats go to school, increasing property value, creating jobs etc. DAmned if you do and damned if you don't.

Posted by Mort, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Their bulk section is much larger and offers a lot more variety than the one on Santa Rita.

There.

Id does add something new for me.

Posted by Julie, a resident of The Knolls
on Dec 19, 2011 at 12:33 pm

If I want bulk items I make the drive to WinCo in Tracy. In fact, making the drive to Tracy to shop results in much better prices all around. When the new Walmart Supercenter is finished I'll be a regular customer there also.
What I save on groceries far outweighs what the gas costs to drive there.

Posted by Mort, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:43 pm

I was talking bulk as in grains, nuts etc.
I go to Costco for the other "bulk" stuff.

They have different rices, flours, etc. If you're into this sort of stuff as people in my family are, it is shorter a drive than Sprouts for us, so that is an advantage.

As far as a Walmart, I've never been inside one, but if they sell prepackaged produce and mostly processed food, I probably won't be inside this one either.

but I will keep an open mind in case I am wrong.

Posted by Pro-Law, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 19, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Thank you Chris. Yes sales tax isn't the only tax out there. There are income taxes, payroll taxes, property taxes, etc etc etc.

Posted by Julie, a resident of The Knolls
on Dec 19, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Mort, yes that is the type of bulk stuff I drive to WinCo for. That store has a huge, and I mean huge, bulk section. There is probably close to 100 items in bulk bins. Everything from chicken bouillon to pine nuts. It is incredible the things they carry in bulk.

Posted by mystified about the new safeway, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Okay - just now checking back on the responses to my post. I really wanted to find out what Pleasanton was getting out of this, since there was a serious cost (traffic, pretty unattractive - a big bright Panda Express sign is really not too inviting). I was surprised to see only one especially crabby person - "quit your effing whining". I guess I sounded a bit crabby myself - sorry, I'll watch that. I just really wanted to know what other people thought about the new Safeway. I still don't really get it - it must be a goud source of revenue for Pleasanton to give up so much. I grew up in the midwest - abandoned strip malls are depressing - hope that doesn't happen here.

Posted by Mary, a resident of Bridle Creek
on Dec 30, 2011 at 10:20 pm

Safeway had to build...where else are Hayward and Oakland residents going to find jobs? Survey the employees-none of them are local.

Survey Genes and Raley's and you'll find most of them are local.

Posted by A. Fan, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Dec 31, 2011 at 12:45 am

Sprouts. TONS of bulk quality items.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.