Real Reason Xmas/Holiday/Winter Break is when it is

Original post made by UnderTheBus on Dec 16, 2011

California Teachers Union negotiated a contract adopted ( ratified?) by Pleasanton Unified School district that demanded 3 Mondays in a row off, encompasing New Years and Christmas. The wacky schedual parents have been held hostage by the last 7 years ( thats an estimate, maybe longer) has been a result of this.

Posted by Confused, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:47 pm

UnderTheBus,

I am a parent of school age children and I have no opinion of when the winter break occurs, it doesn't affect me in the least, but I do understand both sides of the argument. I'm confused by your statement above. We do not have 3 consecutive day's off this year. The only Monday's we are out of school are 12/26 and 1/2 we are back the following monday on 1/9. The only occasion I remember have 3 Monday's off is when New Years Day lands on a Sunday, then we typically have the following Monday off. But that's not the case this year.

Posted by UnderTheBus, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 16, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Confused,

Thank You for catching my error. I was on a call while typing. I should have proofed before I hit the submit key. I am red-in-the-face.

The Holiday Break must encompass 3 Sundays, not Mondays.

Posted by Confused, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 16, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Thanks for clarifying.

Posted by DOWN WITH THE TEACHERS, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 16, 2011 at 2:15 pm

DOWN WITH THE TEACHERS!!!!! They cause all problems for everything. I was laid off and it was my high school teacher's fault. My electricity was turned off because I forgot to pay my bill and it was my middle school teacher's fault. I ran out of gas and it was my elementary teacher's fault.

Or I forgot to voice my opinion at a school board meeting and am now looking for a scapegoat. That's probably more likely.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I agree with "Down". I heard a rumor this morning that teachers have caused a problem with sugar beet production on Easter Island!

Posted by Grandma, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Parents, teach your children to respect their teachers and value the education they are getting in Pleasanton. Someone wrote that their kids won't be able to stay late at their friends Christmas parties or may not have time to bake cookies. seriously? Stop whining and deal with it.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.