Toss every currently elected official out!

Original post made by Mrs. B, Mohr Park, on Dec 14, 2011

From top to bottom, at the smallest local offices, to the Presidency, we need to clean house. No one currently in office is effective. With our economy the way it is, I think we need to completely change how we do the business of politics.

Anyone new coming to the game should be dealt with differently. Stay out of their bedrooms. Focus on what happens in their boardrooms instead. Truly separate church and state. Focus on their performance in business or volunteer work, not on fluff. Severely limit campaign spending. Make so that anyone of any economic background can run.

I know that here in Pleasanton we lost some potentially great leaders at the local levels because they did not want to put their families through the moral mudslinging of a campaign. They did not want their political integrity questioned because they went to the wrong church, or no church at all.

Posted by Trudy
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

Are you willing to put your hat in the ring after this proposed "house cleaning"? If not, you are part of the problem, not the solution.

Posted by Mrs. B
a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59 am

Trudy, I might just do that. By the time my family and work obligations have eased, perhaps the political environment will be more inviting.

I would not be too judgmental of others that have good ideas but do not act on them. You never know there personal situation.

Posted by Steve
on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:13 am

Mrs b, you have some emotional pleas here, mostly valid, except your numerous mentions of your issues with churches. In most places , churches are the center or a rallying point of a community. By vilifying church members an dthe values they espouse, you'll never move forward on any of your other positions and would never be considered electable.....unless you were running for office in Berkeley or S.F., where there is no hope for any morality or humanity.

Posted by Mrs. B
a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Steve....

I am not vilifying church members. Not at all. I just want a separation of church and state. And believe it or not, most of the values that churches stand by are the same values I have raised my family by. The difference is, I taught my children that the responsibilities of their lives is all theirs, that the burden of proof is on them, not an undefinable god. I do not believe in judging others based on weather or not they go to church, and if they do, which congregation they belong to. I do not care if someone is Catholic, Jewish, Lutheran, Buddhist or any other religion. I care if they are a good person and seek to make the world a better place.

I am under no delusion that I am electable. To begin with, I would be remarkably tough on crime. I would have called in the Military at the beginning of the Occupy movement. I would never spend money I dont have. I dont care who sleeps with who, as long as no one is getting hurt, and everyone is of legal age and birth control is being used if those people having sex do not want children at that time. If a teacher is accused of molestation, they are removed from the classroom to another position without contact with children until they are either cleared or charged. I would completely redo the marriage laws, not stopping at same sex marriage. ( Before anyone bags on me, I am a heterosexual woman with a large family, married for 30 years, living a pleasantly vanilla life.) I believe the concept of marriage in our society is antiquated. There should be different types of marriages, almost different layers, all based on a legal contract. I would make lobbyists illegal. Everyone would pay 10% income, state, and sales taxes acrossed the board, unless they are making less than a poverty wage. I would eliminate most welfare. If you have one baby and need assistance, you would be required to be on verifiable birth control until you could support your family. I would make it law to take care of our disabled, elderly and our Vets with dignity and compassion. Mental health care would be one of the first items to be paid out of the public coffers, therefore managing the homeless situation.

So Steve...again, let me restate that I am not under the delusion that I am electable at this point and time. Not in Pleasanton, and certainly not Berkeley or San Fran.

Posted by Bill
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Just take away the budgets of the politicians. This will get rid of the wonks and PR people who are really running the show. Make the politicans write their own speeches, bills, and correspondence. Elected officials actually doing an honest day's work might restore some faith in government.

Posted by Steve
a resident of Parkside
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:47 pm

Well, Mrs. B, based on your beliefs, I'm in agreement with about 90%. The marriage part I'm not too sure about, but you have some strong positions elsewhere.
Heck, if I could agree on that much with our current crop of politicos, voting would not be such an exercise. Im sure there's lots of people who share your frustration with the current process, so it's nice to hear someone articulate they way they really feel.

Posted by Mrs. B
a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:45 am

Thank You, Steve.

My platform on marriage is not based on my own preference. I wish marriage as it is today, could survive, but with all the social changes that we are seeing, I don't think it will. I also want to Thank You for your complement on my articulation. These last few days have been my first exposure at "blogging". Like many people I know, I have been home from work with a virus. I have enjoyed the repartee' with a few individuals. I love to hear different opinions expressed respectably...a great way to learn about the world! It has been an interesting experience, but I don't think I will make a regular habit of it.