If I was President....My Platform

Original post made by Common Sense, Danbury Park, on Dec 14, 2011

Make it illegal to lobby congress.
Make all presidential candidates draw from a public fund.
Make the needed common sense adjustments to SS and Medicare.
Cut existing public pensions and future public pensions to a point where they are solvent.
Hire the best and toughest cost cutting-budget experts to go through the entire gov't and eliminate all the waste in every facet.
Simplify the tax code and raise taxes on the wealthiest and make sure that all but the poorest of the poor pay something.
Set up a program with cooperation between the gov't and private enterprise and rebuild the infrastructure of this country.
Establish some type of national teacher training academy,make teaching a desirable profession by raising standards and pay to attract the best people.Our educational system is failing and has to be fixed.
Take a new look at our role in the world and realize that we need to take care of our country and its problems first.
Rebuild our manufacturing base.We need to be able to build things again.
Sit down with the ceo's and retired ceo's of major corps and cut out all the b.s and decide what is needed to get them creating jobs here and not overseas.
Immigration....to be continued

Before you all start insulting me....What is sad is that every one of these things needs to get done,dem or repub...it doesn't matter,but we are unable to do ANYTHING.I am so tired of seeing nothing but name calling and complete total dishonest b.s.Everyone has to sacrifice to get us out of this rather dire mess.Nobody is willing to.Pretty soon it will not be a choice.There will simply be no money.Our high schools have about a 25 % drop out rate.Our society is in jeopardy and all we can do is refuse to compromise and sacrifice and make tough choices.500 bucks says that if there are 20 comments on this post in the next several days there will be name calling and insults...just like congress.We are pissed at congress but do the same thing.

Posted by Beth
a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Common Sense -

I'd vote for you! Add getting rid of the Electoral College!! Maybe start an online "write in" campaign. I bet there are a lot of us who are sick and tired of the "very left" or "very right" stick-in-the-mud to our party platform mentality of our elected officials.

BTW - I am an independent voter...and no one has wooed me yet in the 2012 election.

Posted by dublinmike
a resident of Dublin
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:24 pm

dublinmike is a registered user.

Hi Beth, to be an independent voter does not work so well in this decade. The only way, I believe, for independents and middle-roadies like me is to have a middle class party. That way you really have a choice and they often reflect our values most of the time.

Until that time happens, I will vote Democrat. Not because they are prefect but it beats the alternative of the extremist elements of the Republican party leadership.

Please note: I am referring to Republican leadership, not my friends and neighbors that are Republicans. We have so much in common.

Cheers.

Posted by Perspective
on Dec 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm

First, common sense is not very 'common'...pretty rare.
Having 74 people drawing from tax dollars to run for office is a really bad idea.
We lobby Congress with every letter or call we make to our representatives.
There would be no need to cut public pension, if only we had followed FDR wisher to not allow government bodies to become hostage to our hired public workers....a truly terminally insane, self-limiting concept.
Unlimited personal incentive is what drove America to become number one in the world...destroying personal incentive is counter-productive.
Our education was world-class until 30 years go when teacher unions became more important than our students.
We ARE able to 'build things', we just can't build things at an affordable price ! ! (I wonder why)
Careful Common, a $500. bet ? not so 'common'.

Beth, our founders wanted us to elect representatives, to prevent crowds of ignorant individuals voting on every idea of the moment

DublinMike wants to follow the extreme left that is giving Obama such a hard time. I would say 'extreme' is 'extreme', left or right, so you are NOT middle, if you choose to stand with the extreme left.
Everything is a matter of 'perspective'.

Posted by Beth
a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

@ Perspective. Yes, we are to vote representatives, but the Electoral college does not work the way it is. For example; California (since Reagan anyway) has not had a Republican vote. In general the Bakersfield to Sacramento area is more conservative than the coast. Would it not seem more in line with democratic/representative government that those who vote Republican would have an Electoral College vote, instead of it actually all going (in this case) Democratic. A change in the Electoral College would allow a (as dublinmike put it) mid-roadie party to get noticed. Right now it is those that scream the loudest with the most money who are only being listened to by our representatives. We need a good middle of the road choice. My thought is the Republicans might end up splitting their party up over the struggle of the "Tea Party/ultra Conservatives" to the more moderates (if there are any left).

I agree dublinmike - I tend to vote Democratic (though I have voted Republican recently), but sometimes they are just too liberal with giving away the bank for me. I already did my time living in a socialist country. All those in Europe and Canada have tax rates that make IRS look like a baby.

One idea that came up in a political discussion in my household lately was that the reason we have a lack of concessions in Congress at the moment is from all the "new" representatives. These "freshmen", do not have the social networks outside of Congress with individuals from the other party, like the "seasoned veterns" did. Therefore, they don't know or interact with their counterparts and only see/focus on the party line and thus, neither side will compromise. This is reinforced by the fact they are newcomers with their constituants and are trying to please the "people back home" by staying the party line, so they can be re-elected. An interesting thought that I plan on researching. If this is true, there may be some worth of having "career politicians" in office - lol!

Posted by Bill
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 15, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Common Sense - The only way to accomplish what you want is to have America ruled by a dictator or a monarch. I would take one wise leader then the fools we have running Washington today. To quote - "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy." - Alexander Tytler 18th century historian

Guess where America's at today :-)

Posted by common sense
a resident of Danbury Park
on Dec 15, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Bill...When I was preparing to be president and writing my platform I did have the same thought.The only way this can happen is if we have an individual with absolute power.It is so sad that we are so limited by the clowns in D.C. and our state governments.Maybe we will be visited by some ailien being who will save us from ourselves:-

Posted by Mrs. B
a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 16, 2011 at 12:42 pm

Common Sense,

Great start! I would like to hear more.

Posted by common sense
a resident of Danbury Park
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:11 am

Immigration....a very tough problem.
I think I would require everyone in the country that is currently employed obtain a guest worker card,learn English and do 300 hours of community service a year for 5 years.After 5 years I would grant them a green card and a path to citizenship.Anyone with a criminal record or who is unemployed would be sent home.I would give them 90 days to register as a guest worker and once that deadline has passed anyone without one would be deported.Any employer hiring someone without a guest worker pass would be receive a hefty fine and more if a second offense.I would also require guest workers pay 10 % or so of there paycheck to fund the oversight of this program.They and their families would not qualify for any public aid during this process except for education .If they cannot make it here under these conditions then they go back home.Since no new permits would be issued after 90 days it would discourage more illegals coming here,but of course not all.I would also beef up the border with drones and more boots on the ground.