ALISAL parents parking in doctor lots

Original post made by Lisa on Dec 12, 2011

today as I sat at the red light at the intersection of Santa rita@black right before the little darlings of Alisal school got out, I observed a silver Mercedes with a lone male driver. He pulls his expensive mercedes into the medical office lot next door to the school and parks in the first spot next to the sidewalk. Right across from his car is a sign that clearly states-(something to the effect) Medical parking lot only or maybe saids no school parking. this man, gets out of his car, looks around to make sure no one is watching him then proceeds to the school to pick up his darling kid (s). the same goes for parents that park there SUV's across the street in the Post office lot (like that lot isn't big enough at Christmas time for us people that want to male Christmas packages (noticed I did not say the holidays). then then parents in their SUV's on steroids proceed across the street with the help of the crossing guard to pick up their darling kids. Again the sign in the post office lot saids (something to the effect) for PO parking only.

next time I need to visit a friend-I will be sure to park in your driveway.

Posted by resident, a resident of Downtown
on Dec 12, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hey, it's Pleasanton, the land of the entitled. I have had people park in my driveway to attend the Friday night concerts in the park. Idiots. Hope they carry two or more spare tires cause I have decided that uninvited parkers in my driveway will not leave without nails in two or more of their tires.

Posted by Sam, a resident of Oak Hill
on Dec 13, 2011 at 12:01 am

So, Lisa, what do you hope to accomplish by griping about all of this to us? It's the medical office's problem, but if you really want to get involved you could tell them that someone is parking in their lot. Did you do that? No? You say you would rather do nothing but gripe about it to us? OK.

Posted by Mrs. B, a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 13, 2011 at 11:03 am

You all might want to consider the fact that our posts, while they appear in a format that is semi annonymous, really are not. Pleasanton PD would not even break a sweat before they had your real name and address, most likely. Resident, and anyone else reading this, my first comment is to not put into writing your intention to commit a crime, like, vandalizing a car.

Secondly, Lisa, you must be a frustrated person. Dont you have anything else to think about while you are in traffic? I sure as heck do. Or are you one of those Hater type of people, who envies the owners of nice vehicals? Either way, like Sam said, it is really not your problem. Is it possible, Lisa, that the driver in question was an employee or a client of the office complex? You would have no way of knowing.

Lisa, let me end with you showing your ignorance. Many Mercedes are in the same price range of Toyotas, Fords, Dodges and most other manufactures. And I am talking mid range, not luxury on all those manufactures. I seriously doubt you, yourself would be able to tell the difference, by site, of a $35K Mercedes or a $150K model.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegseggerthle, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:04 pm

The real root of the problem occurred many years ago when the city blocked off Kolln St. to appease the neighbors of Alisal, as if Kolln wasn't a public thoroughfare. And Alisal is in an impossible location for attendance boundaries Web Link I'm not suggesting boundary changes, because that is a formula for no one being happy with the end result, but there are basic issues that make getting students to this school unnecessarily difficult for parents (not many students can walk; most are too young to utilize public transportation).

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Stacey is a registered user.

Kathleen,

You might want to check your keyboard there. You've got a little thle smudge.

on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:51 pm

Yikes!

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 13, 2011 at 1:52 pm

All better.

Posted by Mrs. B, a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:09 am

Kathleen, well said! You are correct.

Posted by Just sayin', a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:59 am

First, I think you are right.. the post office and doctor's office lots shouldn't be used as overflow school parking but parents have few options if the school lot is full.

They can park in front of a residence and walk..but then they are risking offending a Mr.Vandalizing-others-property-with-my-nailgun-solves-problems.

They can park in a red zone for about $50.

Ironically, by bringing your complaint to a public forum, you are revealing this option. You may have just increased the amount of parents abusing the lots.

Might I suggest.. bring your packages and mail to the post office during school hours or after 4p. Do the same for your Dr appts. You will see less of what is annoying you and your blood pressure will stabilize.

People without luxury vehicles make just as many selfish moves as the ones with luxury vehicles. The difference is luxury vehicles are visible and the driver carries a stigma. We wait for them to prove how selfish and entitled they are, so we can feel comfortable in our mediocrity.

Let's all get along..

Posted by Fair is Fair, a resident of Mission Park
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:24 am

I'll be honest. I don't like it either when people try to skirt around the rules for their own selfish convenience... like cutting lines or parking in spots they shouldn't.

But my concern with you, Lisa, is it really sounds like you're getting way worked up over it. Try to relax, especially while driving. The last thing anyone wants is you driving while angry and distracted... the consequences could be far, far worse than someone parking for 5 minutes in a red zone.

Just try to remember - there's far more important things and far worse things going on in the world. Please breathe.

Posted by Shannon , a resident of Stoneridge Orchards
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:38 am

The real issue is not that this happened at Alisal, but that there are many drivers out there that do not obey the signs or the laws. My father is a crossing guard and he almost gets hit "weekly". Many drivers on their cell phones while driving and stopping in the middle of the crosswalk, parking where they shouldn't and leave their cars to pick up kids. It's just crazy. There really needs more police out there but I realize with budget cuts they can't. Just wish people would obey the laws.

Posted by Roger Smith, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Come on Lisa grow up.Start minding your own business.

Posted by mindLess, a resident of Downtown
on Dec 14, 2011 at 11:51 am

and I also noticed "male Christmas" LOL

Posted by Dave, a resident of San Ramon
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Kathleen, Kolln Street was never 'blocked off'. It never went though. When i was a kid, I used to play with my late friend Marty at this end of Kolln, there was a gravel road on the other side of that wall for access to the quarry and Kiewit. When Valley Avenue went in, is when the neighbors complained of the street being opened, which by the way, was a very smart move.

Posted by Mrs. B, a resident of Mohr Park
on Dec 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Dave...

The CMU block wall went up in the 80's is that correct? Didn't it used to be that you could drive through on that gravel road?

Posted by Don, a resident of Ironwood
on Dec 14, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I can't help but comment on this problem as it is everywhere in Pleasanton. I know we live in different times what with kidnappings, attempted ones, which are scarey. That being said and a little common sense it seems to me that we would be helping our obesity problem in young children by having them walk. We have crossing guards in all the dangerous places near schools to get the children across the streets. All these parents delivering and picking up their children blocking driveways, causing city blocks to be jammed up with traffic is ridiculous. Parents walk with your children to and from school, but leave your cars at home.

Posted by Mom O2, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 14, 2011 at 3:12 pm

People do what they want pretty much everywhere in Ptown, regardless of signs and laws. The business (albeit vacant) behind Hart with the no drop/pick up signage is routinely used to pick up and drop off kids, as is the bus zone with the 'no stopping any time' signs posted every 10 feet. Typically it's the same parents parking in the teacher lot and red zones at Lydiksen. When the loop is full at FHS in the afternoon, vehicles will queue up on Foothill Rd 10 minutes before the bell and completely block forward progress for everyone else trying to move past the school. Police are rarely around to penalize those exhibiting the bad behavior so it gets repeated daily.

In the end the solution is less about bike/walk more or boundaries and more about drivers having the integrity to respect the laws/other motorists instead of putting their own agenda first.

Posted by Maria, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:53 pm

I don't like to leave the house when the schools are getting out, especially around Harvest Park/ Walnut Grove. Not only is there always a humongous line leading into every parking lot entrance from Valley and Black, but people get impatient and do crazy things... even with kids walking around!
Where are the cops enforcing traffic laws around the schools? I know that parking is always difficult with such small school parking lots, but people need to be more considerate.

Posted by Kathleen Ruegsegger, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Dave, I'd have to look for the info. Not going to second guess your childhood. I just remember former Mayor Mercer saying it was his biggest regret to let that wall be built. Maybe what was there when you were a kid wasn't permanent? When was that? There's been a road to the dump (Valley) since I first moved here in '85. Are you saying Kolln wasn't paved?

Posted by morgan, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Oh Don-what a brilliant idea. Do parents know what walking is now days? why should I make my doc appointment at the times someone else suggest OR going to the post office earlier and after Alsial School get out. so of us mothers in P-town do work and have a schedule. Next time I have an appointment, I will let them know I need to make it only AFTER Alisal school is out.

Posted by Wile E Coyote, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 14, 2011 at 6:52 pm

How come Mrs. B didn't suggest we run over the Mercedes too?

Posted by Mike, a resident of Highland Oaks
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:07 pm

People often forget that they live in a world with others who may feel just as entitled as they do.

That being said, what is the underlying implication of an empty parking lot in front of an MD's office when kids are getting out of school?

Mike

Posted by Just sayin', a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:34 am

And, If you happen to be a Pleasanton mother who works and has such a tight schedule, that you must make your appointments between high peak traffic times (between the hours of 230-330pm) at Alisal, I say go for it! Walk yourself the extra 10 parking spaces to your Dr. and give them a piece of your sunshine.. They would love to hear it. Make your problem their problem. or, hey...let it go..

Kids can walk.. and some do. Can you imagine the grouches that will come out to post how they can't back out of their driveway because they walk too slow or they don't walk together and kids are on my lawn..picking my flowers..touching my car

it's endless

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.