Niles canyon

Original post made by Niles Canyon, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Nov 25, 2011

Does anybody know if Niles Canyon open? I read construction road work is coming. I want to get to Mowry and 880..the fabulous El Burro mexican restaurant. Can't decide to go Hayward, or Niles which I love, but not if there is construction.

Posted by Cindy
a resident of another community
on Nov 25, 2011 at 3:51 pm

It's open. Just went through there yesterday.

Posted by Kurt Kummer
a resident of Highland Oaks
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Yep, I went through Niles Canyon this morning.

Posted by Niles Canyon
on Nov 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Thanks, it should be beautiful. I wish they would leave it as is.
PW's handy on holidays for instant help running around meeting visitors.

Posted by Pro-Law
on Nov 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm

If Niles Canyon is ever closed why wouldn't you take 680? Going through Hayward (580) takes about 40-45 minutes, while 680 takes about 25 minutes if you get off at Washington.

Niles Canyon actually takes about 35 minutes (depending on if the person behind you is slow, but I imagine you want to take it because its scenic?

Posted by Niles Canyon
on Nov 27, 2011 at 8:01 pm

Absolutely ! because it is so scenic at this time of year. Perfect. Entering 680 at south end of town, thru canyon, with a slowpoke
in front, I never exceeded the speed limit and I was waiting to crossover 880 at 30minutes from Pleasanton city limits. Pleasant relaxed. What a nice change. Of course it was a Sat afternoon when most of the world was at a mall or on a freeway. I must say it was much nicer than 20 years ago when I used to white knuckle through there during commute hours.

Posted by NC
a resident of Foothill High School
on Nov 28, 2011 at 9:56 am

There is an active community effort afloat to keep the canyon as is: www.savenilescanyon.org

There have been many public meetings -- those in attendance have been fiercely opposed to Caltran's plans to widen the canyon and add retaining walls and cut down hundreds of trees.

Accident data shows that the canyon is actually safer than most state highways of its type. Accidents are down further since the installation of double Botts Dots (in '07, I think).

Posted by Niles Canyon
on Nov 28, 2011 at 11:08 am

I didn't know CalTrans was so flush with ready cash it wanted to blow. Aren't there some critical bottlenecks that need help?
Sadly, already running length of the creek they have conrete barrier sections. I too, would like to keep it as is....I think it serves us very well. Of course this month the Christmas train is running too.
I went to El Burro mexican (best in northern Ca) that sits at firt left across 880. I think a pretty relaxed drive thru the canyon in 30 minutes is far superior to the freeway mess south through Hayward and beyond.

Posted by Becky n' Alex
a resident of Country Fair
on Nov 28, 2011 at 5:26 pm

During the summer we would regularly take Niles Canyon in lieu of the 680> Mission > 880 North freeway route to get to midtown/downtown Fremont & noticed all the signs of "Save Niles Canyon" too. Obviously some do-gooder, mommy type that has no regard for the natural scenic beauty of that gorgeous stretch of highway or what carving a new road through the wilderness would do to the surrounding environment.

Oh well...my REAL concern with all this is quite simply, with all the great Mexican, Salvadorean, Indian, Pakistani & Chinese restaurants in Fremont would you be so overly concerned with El Burro?? Great looking building but it kinda ends there. OK margaritas, so-so food, funny smell in the restrooms & just a tad old-school and just too Americanized for my tastes (IMHO)

...just sayin