Old Nob Hill=New Walmart Grocery

Original post made by Alicia on Sep 5, 2011

Is it true? Walmart trying to open one of their grocery only stores in the Nob Hill sight?
Got an email with a link to a City website discussing it.

Posted by Melanie, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Sep 6, 2011 at 9:20 am

I received a post card from the City about it a few months ago when I lived in the townhouses across the street from the Nob Hill shopping center. I haven't heard anything more about it though, so I am not sure if it is still in the works. Do we need another grocery? We already have Lucky's, 2 Safeway's, Gene's, Raley's, Smart n Final, Trader Joe's, 99 Ranch, Fresh & Easy, and the organic food place opening in Vintage Hills. If we are going to have another one Walmart is my least favorite option..lets at least have something a little more interesting and different from the rest like Mi Pueblo...yum!

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 6, 2011 at 11:44 am

I so agree with you Melanie. I would love to see a Mi Pueblo move to this area. The closest one is in Hayward. We would have access to more diverse produce and products. Fresh made tortillas, crema, mexican cheeses, latino produce, fresh salsas, etc.

Posted by Cy, a resident of Bordeaux Estates
on Sep 6, 2011 at 11:53 am

@Jerry saying, "If Walmart takes over that spot, we'll just have more of the same: more tater tots, more pop tarts, more frozen dinners, more velveeta, more Kraft Mac&Cheese, in summary, more useless, unhealthy processed crap."

Hey Jerry, what have you got against American culture?

And hey, Jerry, what have you got against great American companies? Don't you know that Velveeta means more jobs?

Next you're going to tell us these foods are bad for us and our children. Well, I say, Viva la Hot Dog! I just luuuuuuv nitrates in my foods.

Posted by Jerry, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 6, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Cy,

The American culture is probably one of the most wonderful and diverse cultures on the planet. We are worldly known for our musicals, our movies, we have timeless artists of the caliber of Norman Rockwell. Our food varies from state to state, we have a very diverse culinary culture in this country. California has a wonderful climate, allowing us to enjoy the best fruits and vegetables, as well as wines and olive oils. Take a stroll to our local Farmer's Market on Saturday mornings. The prices are very competitive and the quality is far superior than anything you will find in most stores. What can be better than a hamburger on a hot weekend? We have great quality meat. So, as you see, I do recognize all that is good in our culture. However there is no perfect culture. What is good for some may not be good for others. While I adore many of the aspects of our wonderful culture, I do recognize it has failures. It isn't perfect, like humans.

Our food industry has become an abomination of processed, full of preservative and artificial everything. Fortunately there are plenty of options to choose from every where you go. It's all a matter of choice. I choose to go to the Farmer's Market, make my own hamburger patties, and I do go to our local American grocery stores for many, many items. Velveeta and Miracle Whip aren't in my list though.

If you choose to do so, that is your right in our great free society. Please keep on eating your 5lb bags of Doritos as you watch re-runs of American Idol. You still have plenty of commercials so you can roll yourself to the kitchen to refill on Ho-Hos.

Posted by ccwc, a resident of Jensen Tract
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:13 am

I vote for Mi Pueblo! Or a Whole Foods!

Posted by Pleasanton Resident, a resident of Country Fair
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:24 am

I vote for any business that will take the risk and invest in upgrading the property, hiring people who want to work there, and offering products that people want to buy. The property is not the "best" location for any grocery store due to the traffic patterns on Santa Rita (difficulty turning left on Santa Rita when exiting the property).

Target pays the same wages at WalMart but isn't the #1 retailer to target (sorry for the pun).

Posted by Karen, a resident of another community
on Sep 7, 2011 at 8:57 am

I lived in Pleasanton/Dublin area for over 35 years and think this is a great store to bring to Pleasanton. They have everything, not just frozen foods and mac and cheese. If you have never shopped at a WalMart grocery store you should try one. I welcome them to Pleasanton and they will bring the business...

Posted by Pleasantonmom, a resident of Ironwood
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:04 am

I also vote for anything to fill up that space. I understand that the site was offered to many companys and no one wanted it. So if Walmart wants it, I say take it and clean it up.

Posted by Tom, a resident of Country Fair
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:25 am

Hey, I too would certainly like Mi Pueblo as well. If you ever go to one, you will love it.There are so many things that will attract your palete. The freshly made corn tortillas are out of this world as well as the meats...great prices and so much to choose from. If you enjoyed the Cheese Factory in Pleasanton years ago, then you will enjoy the fresh cheeses and delicious home cooked foods.

Wal-Mart is also well as far as I'm concerned....either of them would be welcome..

Posted by Olfthfl, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:37 am

I live almost directly behind the store and would certainly welcome Wal-Mart to the neighborhood. Of course I guess we could still go down the road and pay twice as much for a loaf of bread at Safeway as we would at Wal-Mart.

Posted by Maggie, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Sep 7, 2011 at 12:29 pm

I agree with Jerry. We all have the right to choose what we eat. But as a public health nurse, I have seen childhood obesity out of control, and we all know kids look to their parents as role models.
As far as what store to bring into the area, Walmart is not on the top of my list, simply because they have not consistently carried products that promote healthy eating. Even McDonalds is marketing a slightly healthier option in their kids meals - so it CAN be done with a little work and compromise.

And Jerry, I used to LOVE a perfect hamburger. But recently drove to LA and had to pass several ranches where cattle stood shoulder to shoulder in the sun for days, waiting for their turn to become my beloved hamburger. Have to say, it's hard to enjoy it now. I was happier not seeing that.

Posted by Richard, a resident of Jensen Tract
on Sep 7, 2011 at 2:44 pm

There are just so many food dollars in Pleasanton. So why not let Wall Mart take over the old Nob Hill location. Remember that good
low price competition will brings lower food prices at existing food
stores and also help the independent stores in that center who are hurting since Nob Hill left...a WIN WIN

Posted by reader, a resident of Downtown
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

it's "site", not "sight"

Posted by Tennessee Burt, a resident of Deer Oaks/Twelve Oaks
on Sep 7, 2011 at 3:10 pm

With all the high density housing being forced upon us, maybe they should convert the parking lot into a week-end flea market. Me and my wife would love to sell some anti-Obama tea-shirts.

Posted by Jane, a resident of Birdland
on Sep 7, 2011 at 5:41 pm

My mother lives in a town that had 2 supermarkets. Some town people opposed Walmart coming into town - places will go out of business. Since Walmart entered the market, some drug store type items have lowered in price across town (CVS expanded and another drug store entered town). Walmart had a good selection of meat and vegetables. The aisles were wide and the place was always clean. I drove my mom almost daily (doesn't make sense as she lives 6 miles away; 4 miles to the other town with no supermarket). The wide aisles and cleanliness make it easy for my mom to walk up and down the aisles using a cart (instead of walker) as she recovered from back surgery. (There was ice and snow on the walkways and her driveway with pot holes). When it is not too hot (and Irene has left), people can walk the sidewalk with plantings.

No, we didn't buy any processed food - home cooking as I do now and as we did growing up.

Posted by Colette, a resident of Del Prado
on Sep 7, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I think Wal Mart would be a great addition to that shopping center. I have shopped in other Wal Mart grocery stores, and what makes them so much better than the regular Wal Marts is that they have produce and fresh items! Much more than just processed foods! I say "Bring in a little competition!" Perhaps we will see Safeway lower their prices as opposed to raising them. It would also be nice to see that shopping center cleaned up...it is an eyesore! I would definitely shop there!

Posted by Bob, a resident of Golden Eagle
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm

I am delighted at the prospect of a Walmart grocery store moving to Pleasanton. Walmart will add value-based pricing that is not available from the other grocery stores except for some of Raleys items. Walmart tried to offer a lesser version of this a number of years ago but the City Council blocked it at every turn. By taking over an existing grocery site and not asking for one zoning change, they will be able to give us this store without all the Council obstructionism. No one is required to shop at Walmart, but please allow those of us who need this kind of store the option to also have what we would like. It won't hurt what is left of Pleasanton's "image" and we already have other non-union grocery stores in town, so the Walmart grocery store will be continuing in the established path of these alternate offerings.

Posted by Pleasanton Joe, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Sep 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Look, I'm just a poor upper middle class joe struggling like everyone else. I'd love the idea of a store using forced sweatshop labor with children to make cheap and affordable products. I'd hop in my LS 460 and shop there in an instant. Because I'm just trying to make ends meet. ... What? You say that's what Walmart does? Use kids and sweatshop labor to manufacture unregulated, chemically saturated goods and sold at prices the undercut its competitors? Gawd, that makes Walmart my hero!

Posted by Olfthfl, a resident of Pleasanton Meadows
on Sep 8, 2011 at 7:41 am

If I remember correctly, Wal-Mart no longer manufactures their own food.

Posted by Pleasanton Joe, a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on Sep 8, 2011 at 8:22 am

Great point, Olly. Walmart only employs child and sweatshop labor to manufacture chemically saturated consumer goods like kids' toys -- you know, like the ones that hang in the food aisles? That Walmart is an evil empire warlord that kills people in order to dump cheap goods upon dumb, immoral Americans, should have no bearing on whether I shop there or not. It's all about saving pennies at the checkout counter.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Pleasanton Joe will have to escape from his Terry Gilliam-induced fantasy and live in the real world someday.

Posted by Audrey, a resident of Amador Estates
on Sep 8, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Why should Steve or anywon esle care about chemicals in producks that might affect other people children? The Constitution doesn't tell us we have to care about anywon else but ME.

Posted by Steve, a resident of Stoneridge
on Sep 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Audrey,

I see you're also in Brazil, or perhaps David Lynch's Eraserhead.

Please list the products that Walmart stocks that are laced with chemicals and produced with child labor. Of course, these would be Walmart-only products that aren't sold in other stores -- sort of a Walmart blue light special!

I'd laugh, if only you two weren't so serious.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.