Investigators searching for source of widespread phone calls from Pleasanton utility billing office

Original post made on Jul 26, 2011

A number of households in Pleasanton have been receiving calls since mid-day yesterday from a telephone number identified as the city of Pleasanton's. The number showing on telephones with Caller ID is 931-5425, the city's utility billing department.

Read the full story here Web Link posted Tuesday, July 26, 2011, 3:26 PM

Posted by Pleasant Onian, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 26, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I hope they do. Although I understand it wasn't their fault, 2:30am wasn't the most "Pleasant" time to be receiving the phone call in my household last night.

Posted by Kim, a resident of Val Vista
on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:05 pm

We also got a call at 12:30am... Annoying!

Posted by Chuck, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Jul 26, 2011 at 8:23 pm

I received the call from that phone # at 2:45 AM last night! I hope that one call from that ph # was the only one I will receive at least at that time of night.

Posted by Mellow Fellow, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Hackers many times think of hacking phones and computer systems as fun, harmless and a way of showing off their intelligence. Over the years viruses have caused my company's computers serious harm resulting in significant financial loss. Yes, we've learned over the years, but cyber-crime is not a game.

Posted by Smokey Joe , a resident of Livermore
on Jul 26, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Pleasanton people are really in their own world if this is considered breaking news. Pathetic.

Posted by Track 'em down !, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm

It's a good thing I didn't get calls during the night, like these mentioned. I have received 2 calls from City of Pleasanton in the last 2 days, but they were from 2 different numbers. I was ready to call some Council members, even checked my bills to see if I have overlooked a bill...nope.
Well, at least I now know there are nuts at work.

Posted by keep_smokin, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 27, 2011 at 12:24 am

Hey Jokey Joe, you know what's pathetic is you reading these forums. Must have it real interesting over there in Livermore, so much you have to look at Pleasanton online forums.

Posted by Patricia, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:20 am

We got two in a row around midnight, at a time when my 19 year old was not home yet. Gotta tell you my first thought when I saw the caller ID was City of Pleasanton POLICE and my heart skipped a beat worrying about an accident. When no one was there, I called his cell and confirmed he was OK.

Posted by Dee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 27, 2011 at 8:27 am

I, too, got a call at 11:30pm. Just as Patricia states, I have 3 sons, all in So Cal right now, my heart skipped several beats at getting a call so late at night. I hope they find out who did this.

Posted by me too, a resident of Parkside
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:23 am

Got my call at 7:56pm........crazy

Posted by Bill, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jul 27, 2011 at 10:09 am

Our call came in at 8:01pm from the Pleasanton utility department.

Hey Smokey Joe, you're one of them Liver"morons"...right?

Posted by Downtowner, a resident of Downtown
on Jul 27, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Downtowner is a registered user.

So... what was the content of the calls? Did the caller just hang up, or was there a recorded message, or a human who said something?
Neither the news story nor any of the posts above explain this.

Posted by To Downtowner, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 27, 2011 at 3:56 pm

They were automated (recorded) calls that stated "press 1 to hear your message", but when you pressed 1, it disconnected.

Posted by Maggie, a resident of Valencia
on Jul 27, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Glad the Pleasanton Weekly reported on this as I was curious why the city of Pleasanton would be calling me after midnight! Also happy to see that AT&T can block something like this when identified as a problem. Curious though - if the "company" in question entered a wrong phone number why would they schedule the calls to happen at this odd hour. There's got to be more to this story than being reported.

Posted by Uh, Maggie..., a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jul 28, 2011 at 12:03 am

To your comment "Curious though - if the "company" in question entered a wrong phone number why would they schedule the calls to happen at this odd hour. There's got to be more to this story than being reported."... I think it's been implied that this was not a legitimate company scheduling calls after hours, but a hacker, whose only intent was to cause disruption by hijacking the City of Pleasanton's database...

Posted by Joe, a resident of Siena
on Jul 28, 2011 at 6:23 am

Smokey Joe,

I received the call at 12:45AM. I had been asleep for a few hours already. The phone ringing in the middle of the night is always a bit scary, but it is even more so when you see the caller ID is coming from the city. Your first thought is that it's the police calling because something happened to a loved one. So yes, this WAS a big deal. My heart was beating so far that I could not get back to sleep for 2 hours.

Posted by Yet another Repub, a resident of Foothill Farms
on Jul 28, 2011 at 7:47 am

I have it on good authority -- I'm an avid t.v. watcher and I read a newspaper once a week -- that the calls were part of dress rehearsal for Obama's declaration of Marshall Law on the country.

Posted by ccwc, a resident of Jensen Tract
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:05 am

Hey Smokey Joe - We like living in our own world - it keeps the riff raff out!

Posted by Don, a resident of Ironwood
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:36 am

I have been receiving an automated call for about 5 yrs. telling me they were going to shut my water off, if I didn't pay my bill. The message says if this is not the correct party to call the number at the top of your water bill. I DO NOT RECEIVE A WATER BILL. The water is included where I live. I don't even know who supplies the water here & can't seem to find out. I just hang up and wait until the next time & hope that whoever they are trying to find, pays their bill.

Posted by Stacey, a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Jul 28, 2011 at 9:56 am

Stacey is a registered user.

It's probably some billing or collection agency contracted by the City which is how they have Pleasanton utility customer phone numbers and are authorized to spoof the Caller ID.

Posted by rational man, a resident of Canyon Creek
on Jul 28, 2011 at 11:27 am

... or just incompetent public sector workers.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.