1st Wednesday Night Street Party for Teens??

Original post made by Gina, Vintage Hills Elementary School, on May 5, 2011

Did anyone else attend last nights street party? This is the 2nd year in a row that I have noticed an increase of teenagers wandering around with no parents in site. Several teens were screaming, yelling in doorways of businesses restaurants. I love this event but find the rudeness of these kids annoying and where are the parents? I hope next months event is not the same or they will start to lose interest to those who are bringing actual revenue to downtown.

Posted by Julie
on May 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm

Julie is a registered user.

I did not attend, but my teenager did with her friends. At her age she doesn't require my constant supervision. I'm sorry if "several" teens were acting inappropriately, but please don't generalize about all teens. And, by the way...you talk about "actual revenue to downtown"...she bought dinner and ice cream there. Is that actual enough?

I agree that no one (teens, young children, adults alike) should behave disruptively to the point of bothering others. However, teenagers are exuberant and energetic by nature and entitled to their fun too. I'd rather they get off some steam at a local street party than do so in a more destructive manner. It's not like there's tons to do as a teen here.

Posted by That's Why I Don't Attend
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on May 5, 2011 at 10:29 pm

For years I never missed a First Wednesday. The last time I went the street was overrun with dogs, rude teenagers and people trying to squeeze into the beer garden with their kids in strollers.
The entitlement culture is alive and well in this town. The merchants will soon see that these street events are nothing but a night to lose business and probably deal with more theft.

Posted by Andy
on May 5, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Kids will be kids!
As we get older I think we forget what it was to be young.... and dumb!
We all have the freedom to choose to attend or not attend First Wednesdays. I have heard complaints about the Friday night concerts as well as First Wednesdays stealing business from downtown. If these events were held at (for example) Harvest Park, would the complaint be that we are pulling business away from downtown? It seems to me that nothing can be enjoyed anymore anywhere in this country without someone having a complaint. I guess that's the price of freedom!

Posted by Susan
on May 6, 2011 at 8:38 am

Since the First Wednesday street fairs are a public event everyone is invited. Sure there are some kids/teens that may seem unruly - according to you they were loud. Most teens are loud and obnoxious, that is just who they are. As long as they aren't breaking any laws or doing harm to people then I think it is great that they have this opportunity to enjoy our town's events just like the rest of us. If you are bothered by them then don't attend the festivities. Since the street fair was as packed as I have ever seen it, the teens don't seem to be having an effect on business.

Posted by Diana
a resident of Harvest Park Middle School
on May 6, 2011 at 8:54 am

Teens do not require parent supervision and the street fair is for all ages. As already stated the nature of teens is loud. This town has not done a good job of offering teen activities or gathering places for youth. It would be good if the event created a teen friendly area with entertainment and booths that are targeting teens.

Posted by Manners work better
on May 6, 2011 at 10:34 am

10 ???? years ago, there were overflow teens in groups so large we couldn't move at what turned out to be our last fabulous free 'GOOD GUYS' on MAIN ST. Teens ruined it for all...I haven't gone since it is now expensive and venue changed the authenticity of it all. Sad.
The oblivious groups ruined it all and they are starting to again.
I am disgusted and angered at Andy, Susan, and Diana because it is not just First Wed that the problem exists. This is one of Pleasanton's larger problems, raising, PROMOTING, and DEFENDING the spoiled, ENTITLED MENTALITY....children who honestly believe elders should step aside for spoiled, disrespectful children. Newsflash, not all youth are "LOUD"...just those who are also still loud adults at public events in their 40s ! Where are the respectful youth like when parents did parenting. Manners & respect know no age. IF they can't properly mix with adults, then they should not mix with adults until they can ! I guess entitled kids of Pleasanton didn't bother earning the manners and good citizen badges in their Eagle Scout program. You mock, but I doubt you teach or parent at home. For parents to say OH, that's the way kids are in adult venues....indicates there may be little hope for the future.

Posted by That's Why I Don't Attend
a resident of Pleasanton Heights
on May 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

Thank you MWB!
The kids in this town are handed cell phones, cars, spending money, you name it, and nothing is expected in return. They have ruined it at the Tully's plaza with their skateboarding, food fights, shouted obscenities, and taking over of the entire area. They have apparently also taken over the first Wednesday event. Yet the parents defend them with the kids will be kids crap.
Get over it parents -- your kids do not own this town or the mall or the movie theater or anything else. Until (more likely unless) they ever become productive members of society they should learn their appropriate place. Even then a little courtesy will go a long way, if they can ever learn it.
If the parents in this town spent as much time teaching their kids how to be descent people as they spend at the nail salons just think how nice this place would be.

Posted by Manners work better
on May 6, 2011 at 11:26 am

Well, let's just say, if parents spent more time TEACHING their kids manners in public, they could spend LESS time DEFENDING their behavior.

Posted by Al
a resident of Foothill High School
on May 6, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I was there, right after the Sharks victory that night! Went to Fernando's on St Mary's right after the Concert ended for a cocktail, they were packed. No economic recession going on in Pleasanton! My Porsche was parked next to a Corvette, which was parked next to a Ferrari! Just waiting for the Housing prices to go back up, that'll surely keep the rif raf out of town and I'll be happy! Leave the Kids alone, they have the rest of their lives to conform to our conservative behavioral notions. I did notice some young girls being 'stupid' inside the Bar area, but they probably ended up 'praying to the porcelain god' later that night anyways ! Can't wait to people watch and enjoy myself at the next one!

Posted by Julie
on May 6, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Julie is a registered user.

No one here is defending inappropriate behaviour. Some of us just seem to be more understanding and tolerant of youthful behaviour. We tend to think of the 50's as being such a relatively civil or "polite" time, but the 40+ something parents complained about teenagers then too. Every generation does it. Why? Because whether you are a "good" parent or not, teenagers are different from us middle aged folk - biologically, physically, hormonally, emotionally, etc. And by the way, when I am out and about I observe plenty of obnoxious people in my age range as well. Recently I tried to have a nice dinner out with my husband and there was a couple with 3 young children who seemed CLUELESS that maybe the rest of us didn't want to hear those 3 little ones whining and crying non-stop.

My parents taught me manners and were very conservative. In general, I was very well behaved. That said, I'm sure there were times when I was out with my friends we annoyed some cranky adult who forgot what it was like to be a teenager living in an "adult" world.

Posted by Don't kids yourself
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on May 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Don't kid yourself, Julie. Ask any teacher - teenagers in this community are entitled and given too many rights. Being understand and tolerant is not a good way to parent.

Posted by Diana
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 6, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Oh palezzz it is a tired insult...Pleasanton kids are spoiled and Pleasanton parents are terrible parents...yeah, yeah we know. Kids today bad...when you were a kid all kids behaved.

You can try to rewrite history and vilify Pleasanton kids and families but generations of rebellious teens have been captured in films, because teens of every generation have exasperated the old folks.

A few of these films, Teenage Rebel (1956), Untamed Youth (1957), Juvenile Jungle (1958), This Rebel Breed (1960), Wild Youth (1961) , Rebel Without a Cause and Blackboard Jungle. Let's not forget the 70"s. Woodstock, sex drugs and rock and roll!

Wow, our kids are pretty great. I feel lucky to be the Parent of some great Pleasanton kids!!

Posted by Julie
on May 6, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Julie is a registered user.

Diana, thank you. You made my point better than I did with those movie references.

I am not kidding myself, I am being realistic. Every place has kids as you describe. I grew up in a big city and had those same "entitled" teenagers at my school. I am understanding and tolerant. That does not mean that I don't set limits, have expectations, teach manners, avoid spoiling, etc.

I don't know if DKY has any teenagers, but I do...two of them. They are good students, popular with other teenagers and parents alike, capable kids who generally make good choices. They have a healthy relationship with both of their own parents. How did THAT happen....we are generally tolerant and understanding of what it means to be a teenager!

Posted by Ephebiphobia
a resident of Foothill High School
on May 7, 2011 at 7:38 am

Ephebiphobia (fear of teenagers)

We have raised three kids in Pleasanton who are generally great, for the most part excellent students but sometimes not so good. They have made good decisions more often than not but I would never count on it. Our kids have been overachievers, underachievers, low maintenance, high maintainance, wonderful, exasperating, one has givin us a true run for our money. Parenting has been a blast, the good the bad AND the ugly, I would not change a minute of it.
Pleasanton is a terrific family community with terrific families.

We do need better gathering places for teens but that continues to be the responsibility of our community leaders.

Posted by Teaching Manners
on May 7, 2011 at 8:40 am

I'm a parent to 3 young children. Manner's must be taught/learned early and reinforced throughout childhood and teen years. For example:

1. If a car stops for us to pass whether on the street on in a parking lot....we run to the other side and wave "Thank You" so as not to keep the courteous driver waiting.

2. We hold the door to an establishment open for anyone who might be coming in behind us, especially those pushing strollers, walkers or carrying canes, or we run ahead and open the door to assist other patrons having trouble opening the door.

3. Say hello to all who make eye contact with you.

4. Help a fellow shopper reach an item off the top shelf.

And there are many other examples. My point is, there are a few (not a lot) parents with children who do show entitlement and don't show these "common courtesy" gestures towards others, therefore aren't leading by example. I also see the rude behavior in some teens today (not all) and it only seems to be obnoxious while in groups, individually most are well mannered and quite nice.

Posted by JT
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on May 7, 2011 at 9:49 am

I was a perfect parent until I had kids.

My kids were perfect until they were old enough not to be.

Now I know better than to judge other parents.

Posted by Surprised
on May 7, 2011 at 12:40 pm

I am surprised that everyone's biggest complaint is about teenagers at the street party. How about the Hell's Angels that were there? Or the other motorcycle club? Or all the drunk people starting fights in the beer garden?

Teenagers are still learning appropriate behavior and I expect some immature behavior and attitudes from them. But the behavior by some adults is appalling!

Posted by Gina
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 8, 2011 at 9:54 am

Interesting comments. I was not stating that ALL kids are rude here or that they are not entitled to go to any event. I said "several" and if they are old enough to be on their own, then they are old enough to know better than be rude at everyone elses expense around them. For those who agree its okay to let your kids run wild while business owners suffer? Then continue to look the other way, oblivious to what they are really doing. No one else wants to babysit your bratty, rude kid.

I have teenagers just an FYI...and I don't let them run the streets alone regardless of their age. And if they acted like that I would be sure they never did it again because I respect others space. But how do you know if they are if you don't attend with them? You don't...let off steam? Right. These parents who constantly make excuses for their childrens lack of manners & rudeness are usually rude or clueless themselves. Stop using downtown as a daycare center.

Posted by Dean
a resident of Castlewood
on May 8, 2011 at 12:45 pm

@ Surprised.

I don't think the point Gina was trying to make applies to what you are stating. Regardless if there were Hells Angels or drunken adults, they are just that, adults. The point I believe she is trying to make is that if you have kids downtown by themselves where are YOU that you cannot attend with them?

She makes a very valid point in stating "how do you know what they are doing if you are not there"?

Of course you think your kids are behaving while downtown. Do you think they are actually going to come home and say "oh btw, we screamed into doorways of restaurants and ran around like idiots". No, thats not going to happen. Kids will be kids as stated above, just don't let them run around without supervision. Its that simple.

Posted by Mark
a resident of California Reflections
on May 8, 2011 at 7:13 pm

You are being absurd to suggest that teens over the age of 13 need parent supervision downtown.

Posted by Julie
on May 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Julie is a registered user.

Mark, exactly! If some of you parents are following your 14,15,16,17,18 year olds everywhere they go...they may be "polite", but trust me they have other issues! "A daycare center" is a place where young children birth to about 5 years old are cared for. We are talking about teenagers. Again, if you think teenagers need daycare, that is a whole other problem.

My 15 year old was not "running around". She attended a community event with several other friends.

So, it's okay to accept inappropriate behaviour from adults because they are simply that - adults? They are really the ones who should know better.

You are correct on one thing. I don't know exactly what my kids do when I'm not with them. I have trust in them. They have earned my trust because I know them very well. If I knew my children were irresponsible, were the types to get in trouble, etc. then they would not have earned the *privilege* to do things like go downtown. In my experience if you set the bar high children rise to it. Sure, they won't be perfect, but overall they will do fine. If you constantly hover over them, making them feel incompetent in life...they will prove you right.

I'm sorry some of you parents of teenagers don't trust your children and think they need "daycare" and that they can't go enjoy appropriate activities without your supervision.

Posted by Concerned Student
a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on May 8, 2011 at 8:50 pm

It's a street fair, not a street wine-tasting. You can't expect everyone to comply with your utopian view that everyone should be overly polite. I don't think it's acceptable for teens to act like complete neanderthals, but it's also narrow-minded to say that all teens are like that.

It's also not true that all teens these days are "handed cell phones, cars, and spending money." Some of us earn things like that. There is a large amount of teenagers who have jobs and therefore work for that "spending money," which most of my friends are spending on college. Not manicures, makeup, or other petty assumptions that may be made.

There are definitely adults out there who are way less mature than the teens you're describing. Environment plays a huge roll in kids' lives, and if their parents still haven't grown up or didn't do a good job, then their children are prone to act out. Maybe the teens you observed at the street fair need to be pitied.

Posted by Joe
a resident of Foothill Farms
on May 18, 2011 at 8:50 am

The other day I was in the Safeway store, and old lady was desperately trying to reach and article on a shelf that was too high for her. I said can I reach that for you lady, she said oh! thank you young man, I'm 81, sure made me feel good, that's the way I was raised, too bad so many kids of today will never know how nice it feels to be nice to someone, that lady made me feel like a kid again.

Posted by resident
a resident of Bridle Creek
on May 18, 2011 at 11:07 am

Perhaps if there were more things for teens to do they wouldn't have to go to a street fair as a social event. The kids need a place to gather just to hang out. I would rather see them at the street fair than at the In and Out, and Jack N The Box parking lot every weekend. Since they are hanging out at the street fair lets use it to target the kids. Set up certain booths and areas that would attract them, use it as a teaching moment, and they would be better monitored that way.