Living in a Bubble

Original post made by Keep it Real, Birdland, on Feb 15, 2011

I would like to know why the PW doesn't cover the "bad news" stories in our community that would be of interest for parents. I.E. the party that apparently was broken up this weekend in Livermore - hosted by P-town kids - that resulted in arrests and trips to the hospital.

Are those kinds of stories too embarassing or are they afraid to print as it sheds a bad light on our beautiful community? Is it all sunshine and roses here?

Where are your kids going on their Saturday nights?

Posted by Mom
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Feb 15, 2011 at 8:55 am

My child was at this party and it sound as if the parents did things right they had several chaperones, but the kids were drinking in the parking lot then coming into the party.
It seems like this kind of activity is being swept under the carpet somewhere.

Posted by Keep it Real
on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:04 am

To Mom:

I don't doubt that parents try to do the right thing by having chaperones and I have no doubt that how hard one tries, there are going to be kids that sneak drinks in or use out in the parking lot. I just think that these parents were asking for trouble when they planned a party where 100+ kids have a chance of showing up.

I think that there should be more coverage on the local papers about these kinds of incidents. I think some parents in this community think that this stuff doesn't happen in this area. I have heard it happening with 8th graders!

I understand that there were several kids that ended up in the hospital...if there had been a stabbing or shooting that probably would have garnered coverage. Kids ending up in the hospital should have garnered coverage as well.

The bubble needs to burst!

Posted by Stacey
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:58 am

Stacey is a registered user.

They call it "community journalism". It's a different journalism style than what one may be used to from larger papers and is largely devoid of such investigative intrigue.

Posted by Elaine
on Feb 15, 2011 at 10:44 am

I agree with Keep It Real. The party in Livermore was a sweet 16 party for two sophomore girls from Amador. I've talked to several girls that were at the party. They said it got bad quickly, lasting only 45 minutes before the police shut it down. Several people were arrested for public and underage drunkenness and fighting with the hired security and police. These "sweet 16" parties are ridiculous. They give invites to anyone who wants one and are being held in large venues. Why are the parents doing this? What happened to giving parties to our kids with their friends - not the entire community. They're turning 16, not getting married (and there should be limits on that, too)! Wake up parental community! We're raising very selfish, spoiled children. They need structure and limits! Stop spending unknown monies on them.

Posted by Drexl
a resident of Ironwood
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:04 am

Are you people serious? A party being news worthy and complaining about not enough bad stories?? Seriously, you live here, and you want to trash your own town. Perfect, start with your own family, go ahead, tell us how close you are to getting a divorce, or what drugs your kids are using... this is a joke, get a life....

Posted by Keep it Real
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:14 am

Drexl:

I believe that there should be some blurb about these types of goings-on. We hear about it about other communities. I just think that if these types of incidents were reported on - not front page news necessarily - then parents might question their kids a bit more about where they are going. Maybe just to wake up some parents who think that their kids are going to an innocent birthday party and make their kids accountable.

I don't mean that we should trash the community. I just think that we need to hear the good like Amador kids winning the "We the People" competition as well as the bad - there is both in life. We should hear both sides and not live in a bubble that we call Pleasanton. That way parents are informed since their kids are probably not telling them they are going to a party where drugs/alcohol might be involved.

Posted by fyi
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:28 am

To Drexl- I don't want to trash our town, but it is helpful to know the range of issues your kid is being exposed to. I understand there were facebook rumors about sex happening at the party, and I hear rumors about sex in one form or another happening at the dances.
I don't know how true any of it is, but those aren't things that would come to mind when I send my kid out to a dance or party.

Posted by Drexl
a resident of Ironwood
on Feb 15, 2011 at 11:30 am

I hear about drugs in our schools all the time; All I am going to say, it is better to concentrate on the good than the bad. I rather tell my kids how well they are doing in school and how proud I am of them; not on the fact that they went to a party and drank some alcohol. I am not going to spend rest of the year going over that one incident when I can reinforce the good they do. Look, every parent in Pleasanton knows we are not immune to teenagers getting in trouble; we all want our kids to be good, but we know, that as kids, they will experiment and they will get into trouble; there is something about learning the hard way.

I am getting so sick of everyone trying to find every possible reason to say.."see, even in Pleasanton" give me a break, yes, there are faults here, but overall, there are many less problems here than most other communities. Instead of trying to "show" other parents about the evil sides of Pleasanton, how about, we all just concentrate on our own families first...

Posted by Keep it Real
on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:20 pm

All I am saying is that I believe that these types of news items would serve a purpose to the community along with the good. I know kids will experiment and get into trouble...everyone who is a parent realizes that, and that along with the good comes the bad, but isn't that what the news is for? The good AND the bad?

Maybe there is too much "Everyone's a winner" mentality and kids & parents aren't taking responsibility for their actions.

Posted by Just sayin'...
on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:26 pm

... Isn't there a potentially bad side effect to giving these parties coverage? Knowing quite a few kids this age, I think they'd regard it as a status symbol...

Posted by Keep it Real
on Feb 15, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I think it would be a "wake up call" to the parents who might think of planning a party a party like this - I guess this was a Sweet 16 party? These parties can quickly get out of hand, you don't have real control. How can someone have 100 friends? You know the word gets out and they tell two friends and so on.

Some kids might think of it as a status symbol, but I believe that most would not as they are the one's whose parents have no clue that they are at a party instead of at Suzie's house!

Posted by Anonymous
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:07 pm

check out this party planned:

Web Link

Posted by Keep it Real
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:16 pm

Is this legit or are you going to hack into my Facebook?

Posted by Anonymous
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm

It is a real event planned, with a bunch of amador/foothill students responded as 'attending', over 280 last time I checked

Posted by Resident
a resident of Valley Trails
on Feb 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm

What bothers me is when parents allow their kids to have parties and ask their friends for an entrance fee. I believe the party over the weekend cost each child $10, my child got there and the party was done so should I get my $10 back, money doesn't grow on trees you know. If you plan to celebrate your childs birthday make sure you are spending the money to do so and not having their friends cover the cost.

I just don't understand why teenagers think they need to be drunk to have a good time kind of defeats the purpose of having great memories to look back on especially since you can't remember the evening to begin with.

Posted by High School Student
a resident of Oak Tree Acres
on Feb 15, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I am a high school student in Pleasanton (I prefer not to say which) and I was at that party as well as many others in Pleasanton. Kids in this town drink and I'm sorry to break it to you but its easy for us to get. I was at a party where a buncha kids walked in with fakes and a ton of beer and the drinking games went on all night.

When you guys were in high school didn't you learn about peer pressure? Its still around today only possibly worse because of how easy it is to get this stuff. Parents, sorry to tell you but your kids drink and sometimes execivly because parents dont always talk to us about alcohol and the effects. I was blessed and my parents told me about what happens and they've always said "i dont want to know but if you drink do not drive." sadly not everyone has these conversations. seriously talk to your kids.

i agree with Drexl a sweet 16 party is not news. so what if they had a big party and invited a lot of people it was an invite only party. and how are parents supposed to control other peoples kids? those parents did everything right with security and chaperones. so if you want to know about the good and the bad here maybe you should ask your kids, just a thought.

Posted by Keep it Real
on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm

Your statement of: [I was blessed and my parents told me about what happens and they've always said "i dont want to know but if you drink do not drive." sadly not everyone has these conversations. seriously talk to your kids.] is interesting.

If a parent says to their kid "I don't want to know but..." they are asking for trouble!

I am a parent and I have explained to my children the dangers of drugs and alcohol...they have also see what the abuse of these can do to a person...if that isn't enough to make them into responsible teens, I certainly don't think "I don't want to know but..." would do it.

I hope that you are one of the responsible teens in town and won't be one of the Foothill Rd. tragedy stories we hear about what seems like every year.

A parent who says "I don't want to know but...." to their child(ren) is turning a blind eye and not acting responsibly.

I know peer pressure is a force to be reckoned...but if all your friends decided it was a good idea to go jump off the Golden Gate would you?

The parents at the party probably had all good intentions, but when you invite over 100 kids to a party you know there is going to be trouble!

Posted by Being Open
a resident of California Reflections
on Feb 16, 2011 at 9:10 am

Most teens do drink now a days unfortunately. It would be so hypocritical of me to tell my child I never did it back then so instead my kids are open and tell me what they plan to do and I tell them the consequences especially to us as parents if they are caught drinking in my house etc. Educating your children is all we can do and letting them learn the hard way by owning up to their mistakes is even harder to do as a parent.

It is very hard to control a large crowd and not all teens will go by the rules if you already know this teen is notorious for doing wrong be the parent in the situation and tell your child that in order for me to agree with this party this person can not be invited. Bottom line is that your child will bitch and moan and may even say then forget it altogether, if that is the case then let them hate you for a while eventually that will pass and the next issue will take that ones place.

Basically Parents just be Parents

Posted by A parent
a resident of Amador Estates
on Feb 19, 2011 at 1:36 pm

As a parent it is a red flag when your child is "invited " to a sweet 16 party and have to pay a cover charge. My child was invited to this party and had heard around school about everyone's plans to drink etc. With that known it was their choice not to be put in this environment. By the way, the person taken away in ambulance overdosed on ecstasy!

Posted by HS Parent
on Feb 21, 2011 at 11:24 am

The person did not overdose on Ecstasy they had alchohol poisoning both stupid but don't throw out false info if you can't back it up.