Gold's Gymm does not get permit

Original post made by Gym User on Jan 31, 2011

I find it very suspicious that Gold's Gym could not get the necessary permits to open its facility in Pleasanton, after it had already started work in the old Cathy's gym. After all, they were putting a gym where another gym used to be.

At the same time, 24Hr Fitness was granted a permit to open an enormous facility on Willow Road with less than 50% of the parking accommodation it should have. Trying to find a spot there after 5pm is impossible.

It sure smells fishy!

I heard, however, that Gold's is currently looking for a new location in town. Does anyone have any information that can be shared on the matter?

Posted by Smartfeller, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 31, 2011 at 9:56 am

The whole concept of adequate parking either isn't understood in Pleasanton, or perhaps getting a permit is another thing that requires the payment of payola. There are many businesses in Pleasanton that have inadequate parking (like all of Downtown). The strip mall where Trader Joe's is located is another fiasco. Maybe Pleasanton is trying to emulate Walnut Creek.

Posted by Maria, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 31, 2011 at 12:35 pm

If you want to talk to a Gold's representative, call 209-527-3041 (This is the number for Zeus fitness, which I think owns the Gold's franchise). However, I haven't gotten a straight answer from anyone yet, and I haven't gotten my money back either...

I did also find it kind of suspicious that even though the two started up around the same time, 24 Hour had no problems whatsoever despite the obviously idiotic location, plus it got a bunch of hype when it opened.

Posted by Gym User, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 31, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Maria, I have contacted Zeus, my refund will eventually arrive. That is not the issue. I find it very suspicious that the city granted 24Hr the enormous facility with hardly any parking at all, but denied Gold's, after they had started re-modeling, and I still cannot find out what reasons the city had for this denial. I heard rumors of pretty ridiculous reasons like they did not like the color of Gold's logo, but I cannot believe that is the reason.

I suspect 24Hr may have quite a lot of influence with the city if you ask me.

Posted by Al Dente, a resident of Downtown
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Probably because they started working without a permit and got caught by the city inspectors.
Seems like Golds was looking to beat the city out of their fees.

Posted by City process, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I've always heard Pleasanton 'the city' is impossible to deal with.
I attended a class there, then they were going to close Xmas week to put in hardwood floors...then simply disappeared with my contract $$.
I've paid Gold's for things I have not received.

Posted by Happy gym member, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 31, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I have been a member at Express Fitness since November. I am very happy; plenty of parking, small community feel, friendly staff and NO CONTRACTS! WELL WORTH CHECKING OUT!

Posted by legal remodel, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 31, 2011 at 5:45 pm

For Al Dente -- "Once you get caught working without a permit from the city, the city red tags it and shuts it all down, levies fines, then they have a certain amount of time to get drawings for city review, pay the fees, make sure all the insurance papers are in place, etc."
Not! Those of us who actually take the time to get permits and do things right are always screwed by the rest who don't. The case that I read about several years ago that was the worst involved a big old Victorian house downtown.
The owner built an illegal garage with an illegal apartment above it. He had NO permits, NO variances, NO inspections and paid NO fees. When he was finally turned in by someone, the fire dept found that it was way below fire safety but they never made the occupant of the illegal structure move out! There were hearings, the planning dept voted to grandfather it in without making any changes. It was eventually taken to the city council where Hosterman stated that it should be allowed to remain in place as is! Fortunately, that was overturned and the house was eventually brought up to code.
Does this city play fair? Not in a heartbeat.

Posted by Cjm, a resident of Siena
on Jan 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I thought golds gym was just closed for remodeling. The note on their door says that they will reopen February 1st. I'm confused!

Posted by Jeffrey, a resident of Fairlands Elementary School
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:17 am

I have been reading all the comments over the last few days regarding both new gyms (Golds and 24Hr) and hearing the same complaints all over town. Why is there never an official response to the residents from either of these two? My family was excited and set to join 24Hr when it opened only to be turned away on the day we came to register because of parking..with no where to park, we will obviously not be back. Then I looked at Golds by my house..again, with no official notice, it is simply not opening. I can't believe that these two facilities really want to simply lose all of these customers without even attempting to defend themselves. With no explanations forthcoming, it just adds fuel to the fire that the resident complaints are correct.

Posted by Responder, a resident of Pleasanton Middle School
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

Or perhaps Pleasanton didn't want the "meathead" clientele that Golds Gym tends to be associated with. Just a thought....

Posted by Need a gym., a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Are either of the gyms opening on the west side of town? Since Anytime Fitness left we need a reasonably priced gym with easy access.

Posted by Fit 4 Life, a resident of Birdland
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:57 am

Express Fitness...best workout place in town!

Posted by Steve, a resident of Laguna Oaks
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:08 am

I have worked with the Gold's people and still do not know the exact answer. In the beginning the city did want them to change the yellow color of the logo and would not give permits for the color signage they had. I was also told that the landlord of the strip mall had not paid his mortgage or lease and was in default. The last thing I heard was that the city was having them put in a new sewer line for the bathrooms and showers and the bill for that was way out of budget. So, they are looking for a new location and I hope that it is in Pleasanton.

The management from Gold's did everything right. They did not work with out permits. They took over Cathy's and did not allow new members as it was operating under the old Cathy's membership. Gold's is far from the old "meathead" member from the Arnold Schwarzenegger days and have been working hard to change the image.

I hope we have not chased them off to a neighboring city. Turning away tax revenue is not something the city should be doing right now!

Posted by 24hr Member, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:55 am

I've been going to the 24 hour Fitness in Pleasanton for years now. Yes parking is a problem when you go at peek times, but they have a free shuttle going from the old location to the new gym if the parking lot is full, via Black Tie shuttle. The advantage of 24 hour Fitness is that it is open 24 hours, so go when it's less busy....dah ~

Posted by Denise, a resident of Canyon Meadows
on Feb 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

24 hour also reopened the old facility to help fix the parking situation. When a new club opens, especially during January peak Season due to New Year's resolutions, members from other clubs come to check it out. It's the initial excitement because it is a fantastic club.

Posted by Ex Kathy's/Golds member, a resident of Val Vista
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:44 pm

I too am hearing so many different things about what happened with Gold's taking over Kathy's healthclub. I'm not sure what to believe, but when I saw they were down to only 2 treadmills, I cancelled my membership at Gold's.
I joined Express right after since I just added onto my son's membership. It has a lot of classes and plenty of equipment. And during peak hours you may have to park far, but at least it has a large parking facility. I read so many complaints on yelp about the new 24 Hour parking so I never even went over there to check it out. So I would recommend you check into Express.

Posted by Grace, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Feb 2, 2011 at 8:30 am

"The strip mall where Trader Joe's is located is another fiasco. Maybe Pleasanton is trying to emulate Walnut Creek."

I totally agree on the Trader Joe's lot -- a total disaster -- the spots are too narrow for most cars (not mine, but big trucks and SUVs are always hanging over the lines and taking up two spots), there's not sufficient room for a lot of cars to back up in one maneuver, people don't check before backing up into path of pedestrians already in motion, and just plain not nearly enough spots for all of those businesses.

As for emulating Walnut Creek, at least they have a large parking garage for their downtown shopping area... a FREE parking garage. Hello, Pleasanton planners?

Posted by Gym Guy, a resident of Dublin
on Feb 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Am I the only one disappointed with the "new" Pleasanton 24 hr fitness? Get pass the new smell, the nice presentation and what you get is 24's cookie cutter facility...more show than go. There's so much wasted space. What's wrong with equipment for weight lifters? The equipment, especially the racks along the wall is useless. One leg press?? really?
Thanks.

Posted by NoGymHere, a resident of Rosewood
on Apr 7, 2011 at 3:25 pm

No decent gyms left in Pleasanton. No parking at the new 24 hour, the equipment at Fitness Express is way to close, gets way to crowded, can't believe that place hasn't been sued yet. No hope for this area.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.