Entire topic disappeared -- why?

Original post made by Why??, Another Pleasanton neighborhood, on Jan 2, 2011

Dear editor/publisher -
About 45 minutes ago, when I checked the Topic List for the Pleasanton Weekly Town Square Forum, there was a topic entry dealing with student loans and the default rate. There had been no replies, but after reading the post entry several times, I answered in what I felt was a very polite, courteous, measured manner, drawing on my own family's experience with student loans and employment opportunities. After I submitted the response, I went back to the Topic List and saw that my response had been registered. Ten minutes later, when I looked again, the entire topic had disappeared, and when I went back to my browser cache to verify, it said "Topic is no longer available".

Dear Jeb Bing or Gina Channell --- could you *please* enlighten me/us regarding why a topic would be removed entirely? Could the original poster have had a change of heart and had the ability to delete the *entire* thread, including my innocuous response? Or did one of you deem this topic was out of bounds? Or that my response was? I would really like to know the grounds for which an entire topic becomes fodder for removal.

Thank you. And Happy New Year...

Posted by Taxpaying sucker
on Jan 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Why? I'm so glad you are speaking up about the Sunday night censor busily removing anything they don't like.
Yes, I had carefully and accurately told of the extremely important topic that is happening to taxpayers left holding the bag dropped by the massive number of DEFAULTERS. The complicated, multi-layered problems regarding the evolving "College loan DEFAULT BUBBLE" that is further burdening taxpayers. People graduating with zero employable skills, can't payback $200,000. in loans. I suggest Pell GIFT free rides and taxpayer $$ loans should only go to people that are studying in a VIABLE, MARKETABLE field, rather than basketweaving....only to later DEFAULT.....leaving suckers like us holding the bag. Out the of five paragraphs of factual, in depth variables in this complex and serious topic I referenced Obama once. Mistake,the PW night CENSOR always removes any dig about Obama. It starts with a McNerney staffer with direct line to pull ANY hint of negativity. This in depth analysis has all been on CNBC the last few nights. I suggest everybody go to www.collegedebtcrisis.CNBC.com. I covered more details about grant/gifts vs loans, and who's allowed to get loans...but PW does not allow truth-telling....that's why it's dying. The topic was all interesting to parents, students,and taxpayers. BUT, PW doesn't want an informed public...better to not know what's happening to us.

Posted by Taxpaying sucker
on Jan 2, 2011 at 11:23 pm

WHY ? I just realized, there was a 'Pension' post, with a number of comments, right below the 'college loan DEFAULT' post. The Sunday night censor is so POLITICALLY biased, they get out of joint about everything. That pension post had been there for several days....then the whole thing disappears. They have the monkey do hands over both eyes and ears too. Sad.

Posted by Why??
on Jan 3, 2011 at 11:14 am

Right! While I didn't agree with all of the points in your original post and respectfully stated my reasons for not agreeing with your post, I didn't see anything at all in your post that would cause the editor/publisher to yank the topic summarily and without an explanation. Your post *did* seem to fall within the PW's stated guidelines for posting, so this yanking/censorship seems out of line to me. I'm still waiting for an explanation from those in charge, as are you. I believe this forum is intended for a free exchange of viewpoints, as long as the participants are respectful?

Posted by Sam
a resident of Country Fair
on Jan 3, 2011 at 12:13 pm

I would like to see a real discussion of abuse of State and Federal financial aid.
I worked in the state college system and saw unbelievable abuse that was supported by the system.
Supervisors within the system want to show the greatest need, to increase the value of their jobs, so they encourage and look the other way on fraud and abuse.

Posted by Cholo
a resident of Livermore
on Jan 3, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I saw the post there for weeks and weeks. There were only 2 posts entered. Mine was the second one.

In my opinion, the Board of Regents is responsible for the ever increasing tuition rates. I suggest a federal investigation into the matter. The Board of Regents is making huge sums of money while the students drop out or pay through the nose. The GUV Arnold is making lots n lots of $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Posted by Why??
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Still looking for the "why?" answer from either Jeb Bing or Gina Channell-Allen. Is that too much to ask, I wonder? Or maybe they're still on an extended holiday, while the rest of us working folks are back on the job? And, if so, was it one of their underlings that yanked the very legitimate discussion topic?

Posted by Taxpayinn sucker
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Sam, I understand you, like most of us, would like a chance for an open discussion on the reality and inside workings of college financial aid, loans, grants, etc. Ultimately, WE are the ones picking up the tab. But, the PRAVADA Weekly does not allow sensitive, open, real life discussions about the workings inside OUR government. They feel silence is better for protecting their partisans...even though it's not about any partisans, it's about injustices in the process, and another assult on those that are still paying taxes.

Posted by Why??
on Jan 4, 2011 at 9:52 pm

So much for expecting anything new and more forthcoming from the editor/publisher for this new year?

Surely they're back from their extended vacation by now and ready to step up to the plate and greet the new year with clean intentions?

Posted by Arroyo
on Jan 5, 2011 at 8:55 am

Why??,
If you would change your posting name to "Chet2," and the tenor of your question to that of a brainwashed dolt, PW might respond.

Posted by Taxpaying sucker
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:16 am

Arroyo, you are SO right on !. That had earlier crossed my mind. That vile Dem, public union defender Chet, and several other regulars like him butt into every comment, spewing rage, but rarely any facts. But Pravada lets them spew lies..often. I like spewing... FACTS. For my posts, the bigger and more threatening the issue, the more likely it gets pulled.
There were so many real-life examples in this show, that are not on the site www.collegedebtcrisis.CNBC.com, but if you cover every box on the site, you'll get a good idea about the BUBBLE, and the people who don't payback, and the good students, with legitimate needs and genuine careers in mind, who can't get loans because of the system.

Posted by Gina Channell-Allen
president of the Pleasanton Weekly
on Jan 5, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Gina Channell-Allen is a registered user.

Only four topics have been removed from Town Square since Dec. 23 - "College Loan DEFAULT BUBBLE" (removed because of "flaming" - it was more of a rant with inappropriate words and a lot of exclamation points than a meaningful, conversation-starting comment); "Young vets talk to congressmen, Secretary of Veterans Affairs" (removed because it became a topic after a spam comment was added); "Public Pension article by the Wall Street Journal" (removed because it was only a link to news story with no further discussion); and "Enter to Win a Free Portrait Session - Local Portrait Photographer!" (removed because it was totally commercial).

Thank you for asking.

Posted by Tax[aying sucker
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:52 am

But, that doesn't explain why you choose to let Chet and Dublin Mike and a long list of leftists spew lies? Why don't equal standards for all apply ? Eyes of the beholder maybe?? Hardly objective. Maybe better to not censor in the firt place. Otherwise, just call it Gina's Page, without the pretext of sharing viewpoints.
And, you have removed other comments about the loan changes, hidden in the 2700 pages.

Posted by nancy s.
on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:30 pm

you are incorrect Gina - I posted a topic regarding Kelin Jacobsen funeral...and it too disappeared (Comment deemed inappropriate by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff)

Posted by Other things vanished
on Jan 6, 2011 at 9:11 pm

Too! Why delete interesting topics? I for one, would like to see the responses to some of the comments- but you just yank the whole topic? You don't have to agree - and if not, why not be HONEST and explain your position? The readers are smart enough to tell what is what!

Posted by Harry