AT&T Phone Outage?

Original post made by cvm on Dec 22, 2010

My AT&T phone service in Shadow Cliff Village has only worked intermittently since last Sunday, 12/19/10. Since then I saw AT&T crews working in a manhole on Vineyard just north of Bernal for days, but they are now gone. AT&T closed my original trouble report, but I filed another. Is anyone else experiencing this problem, and is there a widespread telephone outage along Vineyard Avenue?

Posted by Steve, a resident of Vintage Hills Elementary School
on Dec 22, 2010 at 11:46 am

Same here...off Montevino and still no phone or dsl.

Posted by mellow fellow, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:44 pm

This is a constant problem with our phones. Every time it rains our business and residential phones go out. The last time the AT&T representative came to our door they said it was because there are not enough phones here to make a difference. It's easier to fix them, even though they know it's going to happen each and every time there is a down pour. Now, this down pour was bigger than most, so it seems more people were effected. But, believe me, it is a constant problem.
when suitable options become available I'll be the first to take them.

Posted by artlover, a resident of Birdland
on Dec 23, 2010 at 8:41 am

AT&T cellular service in Pleasanton got marked WORSE around the beginning of November too.
I hate my iphone because of it. I got Vonage for home phone- which is ok, and I really like the transcribed voice mail messages I can retrieve on my cell, but the connection is not that hot, but I like the price.
AT&T=arrogance.

Posted by Sharon, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 23, 2010 at 9:13 am

Yes, my mom in the senior park is also not getting phone since Sunday, on and off, the whole park, not good for seniors.

Posted by sueme, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

Same problem here. Phone works and then it does not. I had a serviceman show up at my house this morning and tell me they are having "major problems". They are continuing to work on the cable at Vinyard and Bernal. The serviceman said to keep calling if your service goes out again.

Posted by RH, a resident of Valley View Elementary School
on Dec 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

Yes, we have been having on and off problems with our line since it started raining. Last week and again on Monday, ATT said the problem was inside our house and they would come today to investigate. This morning they called and said they have it fixed and to call if it goes out again. I told them that I'll believe it's fixed if it still works once it starts raining again. It bothers me that ATT told us the problem was inside our house when it clearly wasn't. We did nothing to the line or phones inside our house, and now it works. Thank goodness I have cell phones.

Posted by So they lied- does that surprise you?, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 23, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Maybe you are living in the past.
The days of Ma Bell are long gone.

But at least my long distance costs less.

Posted by Mike, a resident of Del Prado
on Dec 24, 2010 at 6:45 am

Mine works perfectly, so stop crying. This is America. If you don't love it you must be a terrorist or Demoncrat.

Posted by Comcast User, a resident of Vineyard Hills
on Dec 24, 2010 at 8:43 am

You should switch to Comcast. I have my phone, tv and internet service with them and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. Very pleased with Comcast and storms or downfalls never affect service.

Posted by Donna, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Well, I drove by the work area last night about 11:30 and AT & T was STILL out there working. It is probably some old lines drenched in water that had to be upgraded. AT & T is working hard to fix the outage. At least they aren't saying too bad so sad.
I wish AT & T would find a place for a new cell receptor somewhere in that same corridor.... wishful thinking.....
Merry Christmas Everyone.

Posted by Unhappy Customer, a resident of Foxborough Estates
on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:57 pm

I too am again having problems every time it rains heavily. Years ago I had the same problem and convinced ATT to replace the old corroded connection box on the outside of my house. That seemed to solve the problem for a couple years but now it is back.

Posted by Pleasantonian, a resident of Mission Park
on Dec 27, 2010 at 9:23 am

Pleasantonian is a registered user.

Don't AT&T and Comcast customers use the same lines? Why would AT&T always go out and Comcast never go out. Maybe I don't understand the system or am missing something. We had AT&T for years but switched to Comcast for phone, internet and cable about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. AT&T nickel and dimed us for everything on our phone but Comcast includes it all!

Posted by Park Resident, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 27, 2010 at 12:50 pm

The cable underground along Vineyard got saturated and caused major problems. The long delay in getting this fixed is because they apparently decided to replace the cable as this has been a recurring problem for them. Service inside the manufactured home park is in most cases back to normal.

Posted by cvm, a resident of Vineyard Avenue
on Dec 29, 2010 at 11:31 am

My AT&T phone service was finally restored on 12/23. However, I still see work continuing this morning. I filed a complaint with the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) using their website. I received a letter from the CPUC this morning advising me that they will contact me once they review the phone company's response to my complaint.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.