loitering at Home Depot

Original post made by Tony on Nov 22, 2010

I am a long time resident of Pleasanton. I went to Lydikson Elementery, Wells Intermediate Middle school,and graduated from Foothill Highschool in"84". I`ve seen this town go from what was once a wonderful small town to the over populated and over contructed town it is today. With that being said, I wanted to bring up a subject that I can not believe is being condoned in our city and that is The daily loitering going on at Home Depot! It makes me sick to my stomach every time I pull in the Home Depot parking lot! These people are running an illegal business in broad daylight,right on our public sidewalks! Shame on anyone who uses these people! If you feed the pigions they won`t go away! I`ve contacted Home Depot, as well as the Pleasanton Police Depatment about this subject and all I got was excuses and a lot of passing the buck! Is there anything that can be done? Is anyone else in this town fed up with this? I would imagine there would be a lot of legitamate contractors out there who would agree with me! Just trying to stir the pot to see what other opinions are out there......Tony

Posted by Foothill Fan, a resident of Charter Oaks
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:19 am

Tony, it is ok with the state of California and the Federal government that illegals are allowed in this country and to work so I do not think Home Depot and the Pleasanton Police should do anything. They would look foolish.

Posted by radical, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:20 pm

nope - it is quite allright with most local officials state officials and the federal government for these folks to be doing this--after all they are just trying to provide for their families

nope, but run an honest business and you are caught up in a blizzard of paperwork, a maze of regulations at city county state and federal level--some of which overlap and or conflict with each other, an ever increasing number of fees, permits, insurance requirements, growing tax code which requires you to have a CPA and a bookkeeper if you want to generate enough revenue to support a family

try to immigrate legally to this country, and you face more or less the exact same thing--my wife is trying to help her relatives from across the pacific get here now, their applications have come up after 12 YEARS, and the paperwork is totally confusing and redundant with additional fees for every step

why is it any surprise that people will take a chance at arrest deportation rape, victimization by human smugglers and or dying of thirst in the desert to avoid the legal process, then willingly live in the shadows here, dodging immigration, the IRS, etc

Posted by go to lowes, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Lowes (in Dublin) is about the same distance (in time) for me to get to as Home Depot. It's less crowded, neater(cleaner) and I've not ever seen anyone loitering there. Lowes gets 99% of my home improvement business and I only go to HD when Lowes is out of what I need.

Rather than waste my time and fight an unwinnable battle I vote with my dollars and take them to Lowes.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:46 pm

[Portion removed] We need hard working men and women who are willing to do the work. There are millions of US citizens on welfare and collecting unemployment funds and the majority will not go out and find a job.
They are draining our country and making life terrible for Americans.

I have no sympathy for Americans who are lazy and remain on the dole while folks like myself who are now retired had to work.

Posted by Maria, a resident of Country Fair
on Nov 22, 2010 at 2:58 pm

WAKE UP AMERICA

Illegal aliens from China, India, Russia, the Middle East and a host of other nations are flooding the country. Ironically, most often these illegals and/or their offspring are given positions at the front of the line for Government jobs, contracts and assistance..

HERE ARE ALL THE DEVELOPED NATIONS OF THE WORLD THAT OFFER BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP TO THE BABIES OF TOURISTS AND ILLEGAL ALIENS:

1. United States

That's right, every other modern developed nation in the world has gotten rid of birthright citizenship policies. Yet, most of U.S. news media and politicians the last two weeks have ridiculed the comments by some other politicians that it is time for the U.S. to put an end to birthright citizenship for tourists and illegal aliens.

SOME MODERN COUNTRIES THAT RECENTLY ENDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT CITIZENSHIP POLICY:

Folks, the U.S. stands alone. There used to be all kinds of Developed countries that gave away their citizenship as freely as we do in the U.S. But one by one they all have recognized the folly of that policy.
Canada was the last non-U.S. holdout. Illegal aliens stopped getting citizenshipfor their babies in 2009.
Australia's birthright citizenship requirements are much more stringent than those of H.R. 1868 and took effect in 2007.
New Zealand repealed in 2006
Ireland repealed in 2005
France repealed in 1993
India repealed in 1987
United Kingdom repealed in 1983
Portugal repealed in 1981

It's not just Mexico and South America who are sending illegals across our borders. Currently, the CBP reports that of those apprehended illegally crossing the border, China is number one.

Posted by Resident, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 22, 2010 at 4:25 pm

If people stopped hiring illegals, it would not matter what the police is or is not doing, right? Many people are employing illegals as maids and gardeners. Want to clean up Home Depot? Stop hiring those illegals, or any contractor who uses them.

Posted by Cholo, a resident of Livermore
on Nov 22, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Americans are LAZY and most don't want to work as long they are on the dole. FACE IT!

[Portion removed]

I even go out of my way to provide information for "illegals"so that they know how to access services that hard working and tax paying citizens provide. [Portion removed]

Posted by Don Juan, a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:47 pm

I have no problem with people loitering at Home Depot to find work to feed their family. They work hard and earn an honest living. They are far better than those who sit on their rear end waiting for handouts from the government.

Posted by Kasey, a resident of Birdland
on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:04 pm

How lucky you are that you grew up in Pleasanton and have never been desperate enough to leave your family to hang out on street corners hoping...just hoping to earn a little bit of money (not a lot) to feed your family and then send some back to your home country for your extended family. Have a little compassion and people are not pigeons, please don't compare a person to a bird. If this really makes you sick to your stomach maybe you need to venture out of Pleasanton a bit more.

Posted by Paul, a resident of Del Prado
on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:07 am

Kasey,

Look around, many of us who did grow up here, are here legally, have lost our jobs and our homes. We are feeling desperate to care for our families. Jobs are going to non-citizens over us because of misguided political correctness. As the post above indicates our country needs to take action to close our boarders, as all other countries have.

Posted by ccwc, a resident of Jensen Tract
on Nov 23, 2010 at 8:52 am

Were are you getting your information that the honest people hoping to get some work are 'illegal'? Let it go. Worry about something that REALLY matters to you. Oh and - Happy Holidays!

Posted by Bruce, a resident of Downtown
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:23 am

I'm a general contractor in the area. These guys get work because consumers don't care about the legitimacy of labor being used on their property.

I've lost business many times to guys using uninsured and/or illegal labor. Consumers in this area always look the other way once they get a good price, they're not going to ask about the labor on the job.

Anyway I hope these guys find full time work, lord knows I've been just shy of standing there with them in the past two years.

Posted by radical, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:34 am

the argument that Kasey uses 'How lucky you are', this is utter hogwash. yes, i am lucky, i was born in the greatest country on earth

that does not mean that i should sit by and not complain while people break laws and take things they are not entitled to, take things from people who try to live as law-abiding citizens

by your logic the police should interview every bank robber apprehended and find out their family history. mental illness? handicapped relative? illegal immigrant? oh the poor unfortunate--we must overlook any transgression of law, they are not as lucky as us turn em loose

Posted by Lee, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:47 am

I too have seen the loiterers in front of Home Depot. I do feel some compassion for them, but don't know or trust any of them. Trying to find someone to do some basic repairs on my house has been frustrating.

I call handymen I have been referred to. They never call back. I find contractors that will do the work, but they want 90-100 per hour, more than I can afford to spend.

So the work is still staring at me, undone. Anyone got any suggestions?

Posted by mooseturd, a resident of Pleasanton Valley
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:08 am

mooseturd is a registered user.

People who use these parasites deserve what they get. As for price, don't expect less than $70/ hr. for a responsible handyman. You pay $125/hr for car repair. These people need equipment, insurance, phones and many other things.

I like to sit at Home Depot and photograph the cars picking up day workers. I'm thinking of a nice web page one day.

Posted by Paula, a resident of Danbury Park
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:35 am

We have used them many times around the house for painting, concrete work etc. and have found them to be very good workers, good quality work, polite, etc. I would hire them again in a heartbeat.

Posted by Tony, a resident of Foothill Farms
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:48 am

wow! I did not know the Home Depot here in Pleasanton was an international hub for starving illegal imigrants around the world! I did not know that if you are underprivileged it`s ok to break the law! I did not realize that Pleasanton was taking on all the worlds problems! I did not see that society was ok with taking advantage of these people by paying them less than adequate wages! I was under the impression that we are all equal,not just when convenient! If I as an American have to obey all laws and pay my share of taxes,then I should expect no less from anyone else. Especially from someone who isn`t even here legally! With politics out of the equation,the fact of the matter is....what they are doing is wrong and is a public nuisance! If you want to help these people, give them a legitimate job! I don`t think hanging out at a Home Depot is the great all mighty solution to the Worlds problems! And excuse me for having a politically incorrect opinion! I just want Pleasanton to continue to provide the level of quality life that I have become accustom too,having been raised here!And for the record,I am and always have been a very hard worker my entire life! I thank you all for your opinions and suggestions,but I think I will go with the "just shop at Lowes idea"! Wake up America!

Posted by Ngo Loon, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 23, 2010 at 11:16 am

If you want to change the illegal alien situation, you have to be willing to vote out the bums in Congress that refuse to do anything about it. You need to elect a President and congresspersons dedicated to ending illegal immigration. That means throwing out the current President and the entire Bay Area congressional delegation. I don't see that happening because Californians have been demonstrating consistently that they are clueless dolts. Its getting so bad that even the left wing Contra Costa Times said virtually the same thing in an editorial today (i.e. Californians are clueless).

Posted by peter, a resident of Val Vista
on Nov 23, 2010 at 11:34 am

Shame on you! You sound like a stuck up snob, have you EVER helped anyone in need? Do you think they like standing out there searching for work? Oh, I forgot you went to Foothill!

Posted by ccwc, a resident of Jensen Tract
on Nov 23, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Love it Peter! I laughed out loud!!

Can't everyone just get along? hahahohoho!

Posted by jUST Me, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Amen Tony!!!! In the USA, California takes the lead with over 2 million illegal immigrants and someone needs to speak up. GOOD FOR YOU!!! (Comments partially removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff as innuendo, hearsay or specific accusatory information unsupported by facts.) I thought if you broke the law you were penalized??? Does that mean if you are not a citizen, it's ok to break our laws? Or do the police have better things to do, like ticket someone with tinted windows, or someone making a hollywood stop....important stuff like that where the government can make a little cash, instead of spending a little cash to deport these illegals.

Posted by robin williams, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 23, 2010 at 6:49 pm

(Post makes no sense and has been removed by Pleasanton Weekly Online staff.)

Posted by Not so Sure, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 23, 2010 at 9:11 pm

We don't go to Home Depot anymore.

Posted by Teresa, a resident of Kottinger Ranch
on Nov 23, 2010 at 10:14 pm

How do you know these PEOPLE (not pigeons or parasites) are illegal. Just because they are looking for day work, hang out at home depot for opportunities and speak spanish does not mean they are illegal!!! What stereotypes you people have.

Posted by Don Juan, a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:11 am

Good question, Teresa. There is just a lot of stupid people in this town. Yes, educated and rich but stupid. Happy Holidays All! May you be judged fairly too.

Posted by b, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

Hmm. I've seen quite a few of those "legitimate" contractors out there hiring day laborers. Contractors I've hired have brought in additional help that appears to have been hired off the sidewalk.

These guys are hungry, and are willing to work harder than you and your 23-year-old son living in the spare bedroom. Lazy Americans don't like to dig trenches and pick crops, so there's a market opportunity. It has nothing to do with immigration or solicitation laws and everything to do with free market supply/demand.

Posted by radical, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 24, 2010 at 8:19 am

the big reason why illegal immigration has not been solved--the people who refuse to have a cogent debate on the issue

important to notice that it has nothing to do with home depot nothing to do with lowes--what can home depot do when govt officials do nothing

more importantly notice that it is the government on all levels that is allowing this situation and allowing an underclass to exist in this country illegaly and allow these people to be oppressed and abused

and at the same time coming up with new regulations new taxes new fees that affect only law abiding citizens

--you have to ask yourself why we criticize a law abiding citizen for complaining about illegal immigrants on this blog and elsewhere but we do not criticize the government for allowing these same people to live as an underclass, quite visible to all of us, and to be oppressed while also allowing them to flaunt the laws that hold a society together

whats wrong with this picture?

Posted by Tony, a resident of Foothill Farms
on Nov 24, 2010 at 9:56 am

Teresa, you are absolutely correct! I was wondering the same thing. When I started this subject, I mentioned nothing about race, color,or wether these people were legal or illegal! My problem is with the public nuesance it causes and the effect it has on legitimate contractors! As far as the "pigion" remark,that is called an analogy! When you feed pigions,they have a reason to stay.Therefore if you use these people they also have a reason to stay! get it?

Don Jaun, you seem a little slow! Not sure you realize, you yourself just stereotyped the people of Pleasanton!(DUMB ASS!!!) Also how can a person soliciting work in an illigal manner be called honest? You were right about one thing,i think there are SOME stupid people in this town(as with any town). I just don`t think they know who they are! lol lol lol

B,you are also absolutely correct! There are a lot of contractors using these people and that is wrong! They are cheating and are a big part of this problem! Just one thing you where wrong about,these contractors are not "ligitimate"! Look up the word ligitimate and you`ll understand!!!

Raginald, ??? what? did not understand anything about anything on your remark! Have another glass of wine!

Peter Peter jelousy eater! Talk about stereotyping! Sounds like you have some jelousy issues! I was just giving a little background on my history with this town,but for some reason you take that as bragging! Don`t be a hatter,i`m sure if you lived in this town as a child,you too would have gone to all the same schools!

CCWC,if you think your buddy Peter is funny,you should read what Robin Williams has to say!!!! Now thats funny!!! I was laughing on the floor,cieling,and walls!!!!

Lee, maybe give Bruce a try! He sounds like one of the ligitimate contractors I was talking about who is effected by all this!

Everyone else, Once again my goal here is not to pick on illegal immigrants.It`s to clean up our sidewalks from public nuesanses and to steer ALL work done in this country to the legitimate contractors who pay a lot of money to run thier bussiness legally! Is that so wrong?

Posted by Freedom of speach!, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

Tony here is a plan that might work. Most AMERICANS will find the humor in this, but people who are up tight and non American will probabely not! Why it was sensored in the firt place in beyond me.Is this a forum for the politically correct only or what?

Robin Williams, wearing a shirt that says 'I love New York ' in Arabic.

You gotta love Robin Williams........Even if he's nuts! Leave it to Robin Williams to come up with the perfect plan. What we need now is for our UN Ambassador to stand up and repeat this message.

Robin Williams' plan....(Hard to argue with this logic!)

'I see a lot of people yelling for peace but I have not heard of a plan for peace. So, here's one plan.'

1) 'The US, UK , CANADA and AUSTRALIA will apologize to the world for our 'interference' in their affairs, past & present. You know, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Tojo, Noriega, Milosevic, Hussein, and the rest of those 'good 'ole' boys', we will never 'interfere' again.

2) We will withdraw our troops from all over the world, starting with Germany , South Korea , the Middle East, and the Philippines .. They don't want us there. We would station troops at our borders. No one allowed sneaking through holes in the fence.

3) All illegal aliens have 90 days to get their affairs together and leave. We'll give them a free trip home. After 90 days the remainder will be gathered up and deported immediately, regardless of whom or where they are from. They're illegal!!! France will welcome them.

4) All future visitors will be thoroughly checked and limited to 90 days unless given a special permit!!!! No one from a terrorist nation will be allowed in. If you don't like it there, change it yourself and don't hide here. Asylum would never be available to anyone. We don't need any more cab drivers or 7-11 cashiers.

5) No foreign 'students' over age 21. The older ones are the bombers. If they don't attend classes, they get a 'D' and it's back home baby.

6) The US, UK , CANADA and AUSTRALIA will make a strong effort to become self-sufficient energy wise. This will include developing non-polluting sources of energy but will require a temporary drilling of oil in the Alaskan wilderness. The caribou will have to cope for a while.

7) Offer Saudi Arabia and other oil producing countries $10 a barrel for their oil. If they don't like it, we go someplace else. They can go somewhere else to sell their production. (About a week of the wells filling up the storage sites would be enough.)

8) If there is a famine or other natural catastrophe in the world, we will not 'interfere..' They can pray to Allah or whomever, for seeds, rain, cement or whatever they need. Besides most of what we give them is stolen or given to the army.. The people who need it most get very little, if anything.

9) Ship the UN Headquarters to an isolated island someplace. We don't need the spies and fair weather friends here. Besides, the building would make a good homeless shelter or lockup for illegal aliens.

10) All Americans must go to charm and beauty school. That way, no one can call us 'Ugly Americans' any longer. The Language we speak is ENGLISH...learn it...or LEAVE. Now, isn't that a winner of a plan?

The Statue of Liberty is no longer saying 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses..' She's got a baseball bat and she's yelling, 'you want a piece of me?' '

Posted by Resident, a resident of Country Fair
on Nov 24, 2010 at 6:11 pm

You're assuming the day laborers are illegal. Many unemployed construction workers have started standing at the HDs around the country because they figured out that's how to get some extra work. When your family is hungry and the rent has to be paid, hard working people will stand in the cold to work. I wish them the best.

Posted by Lisa, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 24, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I look at these people and think I am happy to see the work ethic is still alive. These are hardworking people who need to support their families too.

Posted by Not So Sure, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Nov 28, 2010 at 12:11 pm

My son tried getting work in Southern California at a Home Depot because he was a college student literally in dire need of a summer job. After a couple of days of not being "chosen" by the contractors (who scooped up non-english speakers) one older contractor pulled him aside and told him he was wasting his time. He told my son that no one would hire him because they didn't pay worker's comp or taxes for their illegal workers and that they would have to pay these costs if they hired my son. They didn't have the courage or decency to even tell him that for 2 days.

I don't think out-of-work contractors are going to get any work by hanging out at Home Depot...which is probably hwy we don't see them there. They're probably in the unemployment line. Just a guess.

Posted by justice, a resident of Another Pleasanton neighborhood
on Jan 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

Just back from the Pleasanton Home Depot.
Its getting out of hand. I would est between 30 and 40 individuals hanging around the 2 entrances.
To those who would enlist their services - you are cheating , plain and simple. Better hope that I'm not on the jury if one of those men gets hurt under your hire and decides to sue.

If you were a member and logged in you could track comments from this story.