Who is Obama???

Original post made by Car Salesman, Downtown, on Nov 20, 2010

I sell cars for Toyota and we make the best cars and trucks money can buy, bar none, don't believe me ask any mechanic and check resale values.

First Obama buys GM (50.3 billion) and funds the union pension coffers with taxpayer money, also excuses them from paying income taxes on the first 50 billion of profit if they survive. Pretty difficult without any debt and with the taxpayer funding the union retirement benefits, and then he is absolutely embarassed that all or almost all of the sales from cash for clunkers goes to Toyota. So what does he do? He sicks the democrats on Toyota with made up charges and accusations (don't believe me? check out the governments own tests on black boxes) nothing is wrong, and now this idiot of a president we have is peddling GM products in europe. An alltime joke of a President.

Web Link

Posted by Trudy
on Nov 20, 2010 at 9:55 pm

I consider you the "all-time joke", Salesman. Traitors come in all sizes and shapes, and you are one of them for not supporting American products that keep all of us living well. Take your Toyotas to China, why don't you. Oh wait -- the number one car there is Buick. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Posted by JohnC
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Nov 20, 2010 at 10:27 pm

Dear Trudy-

In case you haven't noticed, Toyota is making cars & Trucks in AMERICA with American, Canadian & Mexican workers.

Posted by Arroyo
on Nov 21, 2010 at 12:10 am

Trudy, how did you get that rude comment past the PW censors?

Car Salesman, I'm unsure of your statement that they're going after Toyota, but I agree with the rest of your post.

Posted by opinion
on Nov 21, 2010 at 8:47 am

Car salesmen are the lowest of low. I've never met one that I would trust to babysit my children. They will say anything true or false to separate you from your money. They are typically quite ignorant, even about the products they are selling. They would rather lie when the truth would sound better. And I say this with all due respect.

Posted by Car Salesman
on Nov 21, 2010 at 9:14 am

Well I can see we have an informed crowd here. Our cars Camry, Venza made in Kentucky, Tundra and Tacoma in Texas, Corolla in Ontario and soon to be made in Mississippi, Sienna, Highlander, and Sequoia in Indiana so I do know what I am talking about. GM cars and trucks are junk and if you don't believe me take a look at consumer guides warrantly claims.

As far as Obama going after Toyota well here are the facts, 50.3 billion "given" to GM, 17 billion given to Chrysler, US taxpayers through Guaratty paying for all of union workers pensions, first 50 billion of profit tax free, cash for clunkers to get GM, Chrysler moving but most purchased were ours.

President says he fully supports "card check" making it easy to organize a non union company (Toyota) without out a vote, has a congressional hearing led by only Democrats to investigate Toyota and had it on public TV, and never did show the results of the tests on the black boxes which showed that in all 50 cases the person driving the car had the accelerator pedal pressed all the way down and never touched the brakes. Most of GM products are made outside of the US and GM has opened 10 plants in the last 8 years............all in China. Obama is a joke and I think we all know it by now. I went to Canada for a car show and the Canadians were just laughing at us for electing an "idiot" like Obama. Their words and not mine.

Posted by LAme
on Nov 21, 2010 at 10:41 am

Yeah, again, really dont trust anything coming from a car salesman. They will tell you anything that will make their case and get you to "buy" into their point of view. Save it for the lots.

Posted by GX
a resident of Foothill High School
on Nov 21, 2010 at 11:22 am

Trudy - why is it our patriotic duty to purchase American products regardless of the price/quality? It seems like more of the onerous should be on American manufacturing companies to produce compelling products that would naturally compel us to purchase them.

Just think what the world would look like if we were forced to purchase inferior product. America's greatness was once based on the quality of what we produced - products, services, ideas, etc.

We need to strive for higher standards, not succumb to the pressure of purchasing products due to patriotic duty. It is more patriotic for us to expect more of each other. This is from where our greatness will once again emerge.

Posted by Resident
on Nov 21, 2010 at 12:38 pm

He is a person who thinks being president is a way to promote his books and make money. He just released a children's book:
Web Link

No wonder the economy is awful, the guy is not doing his job as president, instead he thinks of himself as a writer of children's books. He should be impeached!

Posted by Buy American
on Nov 21, 2010 at 4:50 pm

@ Car Salesman,

I've been debating all day about responding. My grandfather worked for Ford's in the 1920's, he helped fight for the unions, most of my family has in someway or form worked for American car manufacturers, the tool and die companies who make the machines, or somehow raw product. For those of you who think it is fine buying foreign cars because they are made here....know that the final money goes back to Japan or whatever country the global headquarters are in. I remember the closing of the steal industry in Pennsylvania and Ohio. Michigan has been dying for 40 years, since the U.S. Car industry decided to first move manufacturing to Asia and Mexico and secondly not stay ahead of the game. Now we have no middle-working class, that buys American made products. Our imports exceed our exports and people wonder why there are no jobs. Look at the former steel and car manufacturing states...that's what happens when business doesn't realize that it isn't the rich who consume most of the product in this country - it is the ordinary "working-middle-class" families - those who no longer have jobs, because we buy things at WalMart and Toyota. Just so you know - my husband buys Toyota's, up until last year I bought Saturns....in the time I had 1 Saturn my husband went through 3 Avalons - my Saturn was a 1st Generation and lasted 20 years. It was made in Tennesee by Americans!! I will drive my current Saturn for 20 years as well.

Oh, yes I do look at where my clothes are made - Canada or the U.S. if I can get them. They may cost more, I may have less, but they are better made.

Posted by Awwwwwwwww
on Nov 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Buy American,

Are you aware that the Saturn has been discontinued as a product by GM and our President? It was placed in the assets of old GM and the plant in Tennessee has been idled. The Saturn and the plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee started in 1990 and lost money every year. The NAP ratio of a Saturn is only 35%, which means that 65% of the parts for your car were made in another country. Avalon is made in Georgetown, Kentucky and has a NAP ratio of over 85%. Toyota pays corporate income tax in the US at 39% just like everyone else and is traded on the US stock market. I am the child of a GM retiree and can tell you my dad was not very proud of GM nor the union from about 1980 on and predicted that this would happen and even said after driving a Honda that the people will buy the best product no matter where it is produced and the Honda was a superior car. People still buy TV's don't they and do you know of any made in the US? There aren't. We need lower taxes so that business and individuals can invest in new technologies and not live in the past wishing it was 1965 again. It is over and we need to move forward not live in the past.

Posted by well
on Nov 21, 2010 at 5:42 pm

"We need lower taxes so that business and individuals can invest in new technologies "

High tech companies hire engineers in India or China not because of high taxes in the US but because those workers are poor and will work cheap. What we need is protectionist tariffs at least as high as those that are imposed on us by China. We need to protect our manufacturing and technology.

Posted by Awwwwwwwww
on Nov 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm

It is to late for tariffs, duty and such to protect what we have because what has gone will not come back. Heck, Canada does the most to protect it own through subsidies and tariffs and look at them. 76% of their economy is based in exports to the US and with the dollar being what it is they are taking a pounding. Why do you think all of the malls in Washington are swimming with Canadians? Because they can buy cheaper goods that is why. We either compete or go extinct.

Posted by Don
a resident of Ironwood
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:59 am

Lighten up folks!!!!Typical remarks from the Republican & Tea Party right coming out of Pleasanton. Really now, must you blame everything on Obama who got stuck with the biggest mess since the great depression. I know we hear that a lot but but it is the truth.

Posted by Buy American
on Nov 22, 2010 at 8:59 am

Nothing more stupid than a Toyota car salesman talking about Toyota making the finest cars after the string of quality problems and recalls they have had over the last two years. If an American car company had that kind of record they would be crucified.

Better think about buying American because we cannot survive being a nation of hamburger flippers, financial services salesmen, and Toyota salesmen.

Posted by Working woman
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:31 am

I make it a point to check labels and buy American-made products whenever I can. It is actually difficult t find them, especially as most clothing and housewares have been manufactured and imported from overseas for years. I will be buying a new (well, probably not brand new)car next summer and plan to buy a GM or Ford product. My Dodge has served me well for 11 years--it's been a great car. The plight of working class people in our nation is at a critical point--the only people who benefit from outsourcing labor are the corporations' elite management. This might be capitalism, but don't American corporations feel some kind of responsibility to the worlking men and women of America? The politicians who talk about "jobs, jobs, jobs" need to do something to stop the bleeding of manufacturing and tech. jobs to China, India, and Asia. And the American consumers' demand for cheap products? Consumers don't benefit if they don't have work to earn a decent income to spend.

Posted by artlover
on Nov 22, 2010 at 9:40 am

Obama getting "stuck"with this horrible crisis?
The democrats in congress giving away houses to anything and anyone had NOTHING to do with it??? Come on people - Obama inheirited the MESS that the democrat controlled congress was making for years. Now we add to our deficit at the rate of 25 BILLION every business day. (WSJ)

I'm sorry but fixing streets and our handing our hard earned money to SOME heavily unionized car companies did not make lasting meaningful JOBS.
Meanwhile businesses are not making investments due to the lack of capital and because they are unsure about how much this incredibly poorly written healthcare bill will stick them with. You grow the economy with trust in the government that they will back you up, not make you work for them for over half the year. A self employed business owner will pay 57% in taxes ( in the upper tax bracket- which a lot of the middle class here in CA falls in- you know because we are the evil rich people) next year. The Swedes pay 59% in taxes. Keep that in mind when you think our taxes are low!

Posted by From Michigan
on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:33 am

To Awwwww - you don't get it and neither do the corporations. Capital consumerism in America has changed, and we won't get out of this "recession" until big business clues in that moving manufacturing to other countries for cheap labor undercuts the American workers' ability to buy their products. Workers who make minimum wage do not have "disposable" income to buy products. We are seeing a greater income range between the upper class and lower class. There is no middle working class anymore - those jobs are gone forever. We have poorly paid service class jobs (retail, restaurant, cleaning) and upper level jobs. The majority of the buying of consumer products is the middle class, not the upper class. But middle class can't buy if they don't have jobs. You want to see what is going to become of America, look at Michigan. College educated people only able to work in low paying service jobs because that is the only place there is a demand for labor.

Posted by GX
a resident of Foothill High School
on Nov 22, 2010 at 10:47 am

Putting aside for the moment the crony capitalism system we all are currently stuck with ... isn't it interesting how our country loved capitalism when we had comparative advantages and could sell to the rest of the world but now that we aren't competitive and our standard of living is adjusting accordingly, we all of a sudden don't like competition?

Now we should purchase American products for our patriotic duty? I'll continue to purchase the best product/services available. And I'll continue to expect others to hold my services to the same standard. This standard of excellence is what made America great in the past.

Posted by Foothill Fan
a resident of Charter Oaks
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:11 am

If the quality is good and the cost is low I will buy it. I will not pay premium dollar for poor quality (GM and Chrysler) so that I can say I bought american and supported the unions. I think the car salesman and awwwwww are 100% correct.

Posted by Reasonable
on Nov 22, 2010 at 12:51 pm

As for Toyota - I have a Toyota lemon myself. This car (2004) has cost us thousands of dollars in repairs, starting when it was almost new. Last year it was $3,000. Next car will NOT be a Toyota. Maybe a Ford -- they've gotten great reviews lately.

To those of you who criticize the Obama GM bailout -- just imagine where we would be if GM had gone under. You think unemployment is bad now? There is a whole daisy-chain of producers tied into GM -- we would be in another great depression, folks!

Posted by GX
a resident of Foothill High School
on Nov 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Reasonable - you may want to take a closer look at bankrupcy proceedings. GM would not gone out of business. They would have restructured more significantly, but someone would have picked up the profitable pieces and continued producing cars where it made sense. This is one form of creative distruction that improves the overall performance of the system.

What would not have happened was the distortion of rule of law that Obama pushed (I voted for Obama) that showed extreme favoritism towards unions to the detriment of other bondholders (pensioners and other non-union stakeholders).