Foothill High School Aresst

Original post made by Concerned Parent, Laguna Oaks, on Nov 7, 2010

Earlier this week I was informed by my child thata freshman boy was arrested at Foothill during first period on Wednesday on charges of fighting and weed possession. Is this true? Have any of you parents heard of this? I'm deeply concerned with the fact that many of the freshmen at Foothill have been smoking weed for fun, as well as fighting alot just for pleasure. Please comment if you have any information.

Posted by kt
a resident of Del Prado
on Nov 7, 2010 at 4:26 pm

I heard the same story from my FHS student. However, this problem is definitely NOT unique to Foothill. Bottom line; too many kids have too much money and not enough supervision!

Posted by Frances
a resident of Amberwood/Wood Meadows
on Nov 7, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Why else should they smoke it?

Posted by Amy
a resident of Bonde Ranch
on Nov 7, 2010 at 8:38 pm

Why don't you just call the Principal and get the straight answer instead of hearsay on this blog?

Posted by Dark Corners
on Nov 7, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Because, as you know, you can't trust educators; what with their demands for "salaries" and "benefits." The principal would probably just spin a line about "privacy" and "minors" or something.

Best to come here. P-town Weekly is where the real news is at!

Posted by mumof2
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:00 am

The principal (and vice principals) at Foothill is/are gem(s). You need to attend one of the Friday Forums he hosts. The morning is all about open communication. Next Friday (Nov. 19th) 9 AM @ Foothill H.S. See you there!
Parents need to get involved with their children's lives.

Posted by Concerned Mom
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:02 am

My child has told me about freshmen students meeting behind the D building on campus to share pot laced brownies. Everyone seems to be aware of this - including the administrators. Other students openly come into class reeking of pot. Teachers do not do anything about it for several reasons: student is not caught in the act, apathetic teachers do not get involved due to the whole "my child would not be dong that" scenario, fear of reprisal.....the excuses are many. My bigger concern is that some of these potheads will be getting into their vehicles and driving stoned; if they killed themselves by driving into a tree or light post, they deserved it. If they kill someone else due to their and their parents', teachers' negligence, I am almost certain that an investigation would find the parents and school administrators liable. APATHETIC ADMINISTRATORS: the campus is full of foul mouthed, disrespectful, doped up teenagers; administrators just turn a blind eye.

Posted by Lizbet
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:02 am

Dark Corners,

You are typical of the tuned out generation. Your comment that you can't trust educators is disgusting. Why anyone wants to be a teacher anymore is beyond me. Far too many parents and students (the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree) are tuned out, lazy, and don't give a damn. And they blame it all on the teachers.

Get real!

Posted by Michael
a resident of Livermore
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:09 am

Lizbet,

People want to be teachers because it is not hard, you cannot get fired, you do not have to compete, you only "work" 8 months a year, get to leave at 3, hmmmmmmmmmmm these must be a few reasons and no I believe that most people do not trust educators and should raise their kids themselves and if you do not know about drug and alcohol abuse at Amador and Foothill you must be new to the city or have not paid attention. Contact Pleasanton Police and they will will you in on high school friday night parties around town and it will shock you or should.

Posted by A FHS mom
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:38 am

I hear many, many stories of students doing drugs. I have called the campus resource officer a few times to report things I've seen, and I will continue to do so. I feel it is our duty as citizens to report suspicious activity. Keep your eyes open and call the police when something isn't right. It could save that student's life or your life or someone close to you.

Posted by FHS Alum
a resident of Valley Trails
on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:55 am

So some things never change. Kids smoking pot at FHS? Oh my! How about the smoking section that was there until the late 80's? Think the kids were all 18 or only smoked tobacco? I am not condoning kids using drugs, but this is where we are as a Northern California society. It's part of the culture. Totally acceptable. Imagine if Prop 19 had passed. Everybody would be stoned. Instead of 'shouldering tapping' beer, they would have an elder to get them weed. The misconception that weed has less of an impact than alcohol is everywhere. Especially with teens. Stop pointing fingers, and take care of it at home. 'It's not my kid', b.s. Pay attention, really pay attention. Red eyes, lethargic, moody, and a ravaging sweet tooth; maybe that's a stoner. One doesn't need to be a 'bad' kid, or a 'loser', or a 'loner'. When I look back, typically the 'popular' kids were the teetotalers.

Posted by Been There
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

Sorry for the lengthly response but I really have a point I want to get across,

I am pretty disappointed at the backwards thinking that is going on here, that will pretty much result in very little change in the school system. As someone who has been through the Pleasanton school system, and who has drank alcohol, partied, and smoked pot, but also played varsity sports, been part of student government, was well liked by the administration, got excellent grades, and now attends a great college, I can hopefully give you a little different perspective.

There will not be perfect little Johnny going to high school, following the rules, who one day decides to puff on a joint. Then this drug use turns habitual and he decides he doesn't need to follow any rules, and starts fighting at school! and sharing pot brownies behind the D building! oh my! The fact is, there are certain kids who, be it the way they were raised, the way their brain works, etc, are not going to want to follow rules. These are the kids that will fight, and drive under the influence, and... wait for it OF COURSE USE DRUGS. Marijuana use is simply another trait of the rebellious teen personality, but NOT, and I repeat NOT the CAUSE, CATALYST, GATEWAY, INTRODUCTION what ever you want to call it, to that particular lifestyle. If I was someone who beat people up, skipped classes, etc, of course I would smoke pot, I'm already breaking all the other rules, why wouldn't I break that one...

especially if it gets me a a nice happy feeling (;

-Hope you all have a great day, I would love to answer any responses.

Posted by parent
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:27 am

To been there:

What age does do the drugs / alcohol start for those who start first? I have two small children - what would you say are the traits of parents whose children make good choices as they get older? Are they the ones always watching / never watching? What did the best parents of the kids you know do to help their kids get through the teenage years?

Posted by Been There
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

Parent:

First I would like to thank you for using this thread to be productive rather than immediately bashing my comment, which seems like something that could have very well happened reading other posts here.

To be honest, some of the earliest ages I saw people beginning to smoke and/or drink was in middle school, 7th grade I believe. Now I don't want to freak people out, this was a very select group of people. As I stated, it was the kids who weren't necessarily troublemakers, I myself was always getting my fair share of missed recesses in elementary school, but more the kids who didn't feel the need to patch up what they had broken by doing something wrong. It was the kids that would get in trouble, serve their time, then continue right back with what they were doing.

Now from my personal experience, I felt the need to correct what I had done because of my relationship with my first authority figures, my parents. There was never blind and useless scolding. If I was to return home with some sort of note from a teacher, we would talk about it, I would be shown what I did wrong, how I could fix it, and to tell you the truth punishments were never really that harsh at all. I believe that this lead to a more open/productive relationship with not only my parents, when dealing with drugs and alcohol in high school, but also other authority figures such as school administrators.

Your kids WILL have the ability to drink and do drugs in high school. Pounding a NO message into their head will not cut it, because there will be a social atmosphere of 2000 peers saying/showing otherwise. You need to be on a very open and trusting level with your kids, so that you can both come to terms on what is best for them through their high school years, and that relationship is already being shaped right now.

That's awkward I kind of feel like a wannabe Dr. Phil, but whatever, that's how I feel.

Posted by Educator
a resident of another community
on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

Wow- my rant is a bit off topic but some of the comments on here are ridiculous. Teaching is not a easy as one may seem. I'm a teacher, not for PUSD, and it's nothing like what some of you make it out to be. Teachers are only contracted to be at a school for 8 hours a day but do you honestly think they get all the work done? No. Most teachers either stay till 6pm or later or take the work home; it is a none stop job. Then the whole thing about 3 months off- I'd have to say recheck the schedule to see how long summer vacation is. Teachers are not done teaching after the students leave, then they return, often on their own account, weeks before school start.

It seems that some parents are a bit irked for whatever reason, but find someone else to blame. It's funny- some parents think that their child is the only one the teacher deals with. Think again as teachers, especially high school teachers, have to deal with 100+ students.

Anyway, kids in PUSD have been smoking pot for years. I went to Harvest Park and a kid I grew up with was arrested in the 7th grade for having marijuana in his locker. As others may realize, this isn't a new fade that is starting to plague the community.

Posted by parent
on Nov 8, 2010 at 11:14 am

Thanks Been There,

I appreciate your honesty and advice. It's helpful having someone like you here.

Posted by member
a resident of Ruby Hill
on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I am soooo glad someone is addressing the out of control drug problem in Pleasanton schools. I hope this message reaches more parents and that the ones that believe their 'great kid' wouldn't participate in something like that would open their eyes.

Posted by Always going to be there
a resident of Amador Valley High School
on Nov 8, 2010 at 12:54 pm

As a very involved parent in PUSD schools for many years, I had to comment on a couple of posts. First, thank you "Been there" for being open, honest and willing to post about the teen view of school. To those who think teachers do it for the benefits and hours, teaching is mostly a thankless job, especially at the high school level. You have to plan lessons which please the State mandates, interest bored students and deal with "my child" parents. All this for a salary and pension that in any other field, with the same degree you would get more money and a good 401k - oh and be eligable for what's left of Social Security (BTW - teachers can't even collect spouses benefits on SSI). Most teachers teach for the enjoyment of the topic or the students. The only profession that is more maligned in economics/government is motherhood.

As for the drugs, parents - where there not drugs and alcohol in your schools as kids??? Where there not kids who sought out the risky "break all the rules" behavior??? If not, you went to a rare school. All schools from middle school up have drug issues. Get involved on the parent council, get to know the administrators (hide what you feel about them if you don't like them), call the resource officer with your information....and keep an open communication with your student about drugs....and watch your percription medication (that's a big one now - stealing parents' medication). Learn what is going on in the teen world be it movies, games or music - that can give you clues.

As far as I'm concerned the resource officer was doing his/her job by arresting the student. Our schools need our help in keeping our kids safe; but it is more than just the drugs, it is the morals and society and peer pressure. Students who have few friends can be sucked into drugs so they feel accepted. Learn the signs, and don't be afraid to ask the questions - but do it in a way that your student doesn't get defensive and close up.

Posted by Wyoming Mechanic
on Nov 8, 2010 at 4:40 pm

As having gone through high school at foothill, I can say thanks "been there" and I completely agree with what you say about parenting. Hell, you could be my sister, our parents sound exactly the same.

But "concerned parents" have you REALLY gone your whole life without smoking a little dope? Never drank alcohol? Never had sex? Come on. You did it. Your kids will do it. And look, you turned out fine.

If there is one thing you remember from this, remember the following:
DO NOT GIVE YOUR CHILDREN AN EXCESS AMOUNT OF MONEY. MAKE THEM GET A JOB!
DON'T SCOLD THEM AND HAVE A YELLING MATCH! Sit down, talk, explain things. It will go a lot better. I was one of the only people I knew that could actually sit down and talk to their parents.

I have seen too many times, kids start to have no ambition and no work ethic, because their parents give them money and they don't have to be responsible.

Anyways. Back on topic. There's a lot of drugs, mostly marijuana and ecstasy(sp?), but id say 90% of drug use is weed, X is second, and shrooms are third.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions!

Posted by OnlyMe2009
a resident of Livermore
on Nov 11, 2010 at 8:42 am

OnlyMe2009 is a registered user.

" Truth is; MOST of the Foothill kids are great kids, involved with extra curricular activities like sports, band, and student government. Unfortunately, what seems to make the press is the group of unfocused kids with too much free time on their hands."

This is not the truth! Are you telling me that the kids that are on these teams don't drink or smoke weed? It is not just the unfocused kids smoking weed!

To post your comment, please click here to Log in

Remember me?
Forgot Password?

Hayward NAACP officials threaten blog posters

Not so speedy trial