Retirees leaving the state

Original post made by Pati, Danbury Park, on Oct 28, 2010

Recently two of my neighbors have retired, sold their homes, and move out of state. I have lived on the same street since 1984 as have they. I asked the most recent departee why they were leaving th state and they just said simply that they could not afford to live in the state with the high income tax et al on retirees. I did some research and found out that they are correct. I thought I would share it with others.

Web Link

Posted by b
on Oct 28, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Retirees have been moving out of California to more affordable states for decades. This is not news. New people seem to keep coming to replace them. Reminds me of that old joke, "the place is so crowded, no one goes there anymore"

Posted by Arroyo
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:00 pm

Yep, those leaving are being replaced. Unfortunately, the new arrivals show up in the back of a van in the middle of the night.

Posted by Free
on Oct 28, 2010 at 3:57 pm

Great! That means less Tea Party types in this town.

Posted by Jessica Van
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 28, 2010 at 8:29 pm

On a serious note, people are voting with their feet and it means far less tax revenue for the state and also lowers property values. Think when California is finally bankrupted by the democratic leadership in this state that a republican controlled house and senate will help? Guess again.

Posted by John S
on Oct 28, 2010 at 9:50 pm

"On a serious note, people are voting with their feet and it means far less tax revenu"

Nope, it means more revenue. When long term residents sell their homes, the home can now be taxed at its current value under prop 13. We want to encourage more of this.

Posted by Devon
a resident of Apperson Ridge
on Oct 29, 2010 at 9:35 am

These retirees now moved to another state and pay 3-5x more in property taxes just to save a few bucks on income tax. That makes a lot of sense. If they bought their home in the 80s, they're paying next to nothing in property taxes if there were to stay here. Where's common sense but I'm glad to see them go. We need fresh thinking in this town.

Posted by Resident
on Oct 29, 2010 at 9:36 am

Older people leave California because they can cash out. Come on, if you bought your house in 1984, you paid very little for it, and by selling, you can walk away with a substantial amount of money.

Many of these people did not plan for retirement, so their retirement is the cash out from their properties.

It has nothing to do with high taxes. Let these retirees go to other states and they will see that if they buy a house, they will pay their fair share of taxes, because there is no prop 13 in most states.

My neighbor paid 40K for her house in the 60s! Her taxes are very little, not even worth talking about. When she looked into cashing out and moving to another state, she figured she could not afford it for too long even with the cash out. Property taxes would cost more in another state, even if she could manage to find something worth 40K. Renting would be more expensive too, because monthly rent for an equivalent property would be at least a couple thousand a month.

Leaving the state? It has to do with cashing out, not taxes!!!

Posted by Not So Sure
on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Property taxes are not higher outside of California. It's actually very surprising! I have relatives in upscale suburbs of the New York metropolitan area (3 different States around NY City) and they have comparable homes to mine with taxes that are about 2/3 of what I pay
(I have been in my home 10 years). Their homes are assessed annually. These relatives are in expensive areas (Great Neck and Roslyn, NY and Ridgefield Ct.) Of course, some other friends just moved to South Carolina and pay 10% of what I do.

I've been trying to get my house reassessed and boy is that ever futile! But if we sell next summer, the tax revenue from my house will be less than I'm paying now. Probably about 10% less.

Posted by mepartypatriot
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:12 pm

mepartypatriot is a registered user.

Not So Sure, property taxes are higher. Some states, such as Texas, can have property taxes nearly 3x higher than our local property taxes. Also, move to the SW and your air conditioning bill goes through the roof. Fact.

But, to get some perspective, go to: Web Link

For the rest of you whiners, please feel free to move out. I wouldn't mind having a few more younger people with spirit to come in.

Posted by mepartypatriot
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:16 pm

mepartypatriot is a registered user.

P.S

When was the last time you were snowed-in the Bay Area? How about 110 degrees for one to one-half weeks? Seen any tornadoes lately? Hey, hows that humidity? Pay any road toll taxes (toll roads are making in-roads, and I may have to eat my words)?

There are many fine places to live in the USA, but I like my home just fine.

Posted by Not so Sure
on Oct 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Our friends in Texas have a home just like ours and their taxes are about 30% less and they also have no state income tax. My husband has worked with this friend of ours for 27 years so we confide in a lot of stuff because we're all in the same boat of trying to retire and make ends meet. Austin is a very nice town but we're not going to leave here because our kids are here and we do like the weather. But taxes are high. No doubt about it. And, you know, we can all be nice about our comments here - it's just a discussion.

Posted by John S
on Oct 29, 2010 at 10:50 pm

"But taxes are high"

Not property taxes, unless you moved recently. If you owned your house since 1984, like the original poster, your property taxes will be tiny compared to a house in Texas.

Posted by Ferdie
a resident of Del Prado
on Oct 30, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I think you must look at the picture bigger than than just property taxes, sales tax almost 10%, state income tax almost 10%, 5 bucks to cost bridges already paid for, out of sight government pensions, and on top of all this we have people in the legislature who want to increase taxes. Not a good situation at all